The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mattress for the Gooseneck of a trailer

Soo - I don't want a used or 'reconditioned' mattress (huge ICK factor!!).

I do not need the box springs or frame.

I do not need one of those 20 inch thick mattresses either or my face will be pressed against the roof of the trailer....

but I don't want to spend too much either ...ideally $100 - $150.

It needs to be Queen size - per the space available.

Any ideas for me???

Craigslist or a furniture store sale.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I have 3" foam and a good air mattress - not one of those tube things, but a good Coleman one. Cost around 50.00
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    I have 3" foam and a good air mattress - not one of those tube things, but a good Coleman one. Cost around 50.00
    I was worried that an air mattress might deflate in our heat (South Texas) I just did not want to have to constantly reinflate it... what do you think?? I don't have any experience with air mattresses.

it will, you'll have to reinflate between trips, but that's not a huge deal.

Pros of air mattress with foam topper-
    easy to air up
    comfy
    not musty smelling if the trailer sits unused/shut up tight for a few months

cons:
    occasional reinflation
    rough ride if your partner gets up to pee at 2 AM LOL
    sorta tall profile.

Me, I'm going to consider what the trucker's use...

http://www.truckmattress.com/truck_american.html

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    it will, you'll have to reinflate between trips, but that's not a huge deal.

Pros of air mattress with foam topper-
    easy to air up
    comfy
    not musty smelling if the trailer sits unused/shut up tight for a few months

cons:
    occasional reinflation
    rough ride if your partner gets up to pee at 2 AM LOL
    sorta tall profile.

Me, I'm going to consider what the trucker's use...

http://www.truckmattress.com/truck_american.html
    Wow - those do look nice ..but don't seem to come in a width that is wide enough for what I would want and obviously the bigger they get - the $$ they get. I think I am going to try a Coleman air mattress with a pillowtop. The pillow top zips off for machine washing - it cost about $70.00 for the queen size and it has a built in pump. It says it is guaranteed not to leak - but I have a hard time believing that with our 100+ degree daily summer temps down here.

Thanks for the info...I always learn something here...who knew there were special mattresses for truck drivers!

I have a futon in mine. It's easy to roll up out of the way when we need the space for other stuff.

Big Lots has cheap mattresses, though I don't know if you can buy just the mattress without a box spring.

You don't say where you live, but in our area there's a company called Clinton Matress Works that makes custom matresses. We had one made specifically for our gooseneck (it's about three inches narrower and six inches shorter than a standard Queen). It fits very nicely, is very comfortable, and the small size different make changing sheets a whole lot easier!

Look around your area; call some matress stores. You may find a custom maker in your area. The price will be more than $150, though.

On your personal page you've got a picture of a hog. What's up with that?!?!?!

G.

I have been using the same "Air Bed" by Coleman for years, in my gooseneck. I add air every 1-2 years! It is tremendously comfortable sleeping but do be sure to put a foam topper on it as in cool weather the air in the mattress gets very cold so the foam insulates you from the cold mattress. I sleep better in the trailer than I do in my house.

chicamuxen

Yes - the Coleman airbed is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    On your personal page you've got a picture of a hog. What's up with that?!?!?!

G.
    NO Hog!!!! That is a Beemer...and lets just say that I like different kinds of Horse Power!!!! ha ha

You might try IKEA if you have one near you. I know they have had cheap (new!) mattresses in the past...
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Quote Originally Posted by Roney View Post
    You might try IKEA if you have one near you. I know they have had cheap (new!) mattresses in the past...
    I checked them out last week. Wow - have their prices increased! It has been several years though since I have been there. Not too keen on the style of furnature they carry. The really cheap mattresses they carried did not come in queen size anyway..

We have a camper mattress in ours. It came with a trailer we bought and outlasted the trailer!
    The View from Here

I did the air mattress thing, but for some reason airbeds make my hips hurt. Anyway, if you have a Camping World they sell RV mattresses that would be in your price range. Also Walmart and Costco sell mattress's and you don't have to buy the set. I believe they even have one that is either a double or a queen for under $100.

I also have a futon in mine. Works great!

Chaise lounge cushions work best for me. The air matress was just too cold even with foam. And it took up too much room. The cushions roll up when you're done for easy storage and more space.

Nancy

Another vote for futon. I had that in my Trail-et gooseneck & it worked great! Easy in & out too.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Probaby more than you want to spend but I replaced the mattress in my camper with a foam one from CostCo.

Do you leave the mattress in the trailer?
    This spring/summer has been so damp and humid, I would be afraid of mildew under the mattress.

Do you put anything under the mattress? I have bare aluminum, no carpet, etc.

I have extra mattresses, so could use a mattress and just get rid of the box spring, but thought I'd be dealing with mold or other stuff under the mattress. I am not into taking the mattress in/out. Once in, that is where I'd like it to stay, at least for awhile.