The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

klasorsa Guest

Default eco-friendly fly repellent

I am inquiring about whether or not eco-friendly fly repellent really works. If so, can you recommend any for me to use? I am worried about effects the nasty chemicals in regular fly repellent may have on my horse and me.

Eqyss Marigold is supposed to be all natural. I've seen good results with it.

I just had a great experience yesterday with CLAC Deo-lotion.

While hand-grazing, we were swarmed by a bunch of nasty horseflies. I went inside, sprayed her up. When we went back out, they would fly by and wouldn't land on her. It was the first time that I saw such a dramatic test of the spray. Plus the BO, vet and vet-tech all raved about how good it smelled! We were out for a couple of hours.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctclassid=1518

Wink

I just started using the Marigold stuff--seems to be repelling the bugs fairly well and smells great! I haven't tried everything out there, but it's better than Bronco!

The marigold stuff makes me want to gag... There's a new natural fly spray out grey bottle with a green leaf on it... can't recall the name, but it's being advertised pretty heavily right now. It's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    The marigold stuff makes me want to gag... There's a new natural fly spray out grey bottle with a green leaf on it... can't recall the name, but it's being advertised pretty heavily right now. It's good stuff.
    I think that's Equisect by Farnam. It does have some natural ingredients.

I've tried most of them. The Deo lotion worked the best for me. There was one that seemed to draw flies-didn't work at all. The problem is that none of them last very long.

I love, love, love Flicks spray by Animal Legends. I find it to be the most effective fly spray I've ever tried, chemical or natural, and I actually like the smell of it (not everyone does). It's just essential oils, basically.

look at thomas 1 sticky above his works and you will donating to great cause

Yeah, except Equisect ATTRACTS BEES. I bought a bottle of it because it was cheap/on sale. After my horse got stung, and I got stung, I read that it's main ingredient is chrysanthemums. Seriously, whose idea was it to make fly spray out of FLOWERS?? Have they never heard of bees? I'd like to throw a bunch of bees at the rocket surgeon who came up with that brilliant "green" idea, personally.

They all work better if you spray the solution on a rag or sponge and rub into the hair instead of spraying directly on the horse--less waste that way too.