The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Briarwood vs Woodedge?

Both these places have shows the 17th-19th. I have not been to either, so would love to hear opinions on if there is much of a difference between the two - we'd be competing in Jumpers.

I've never been to Woodedge but Briarwood is a nice facility. They usually have challenging courses and nicely decorated jumps. However, their jumper divisions (all divisions actually lol) are known to take quite a while. Briarwood usually has tons of entries at their shows.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Woodedge will be a much smaller show. If you're looking for points, that's the place. Two rings, one big one and one extremely small and hard-to-ride one. The footing holds up well if it rains, but can get a little deep. The jumps are usually quite nice in the hunters, a bit "interesting" in the jumpers. Jumper courses can be odd. The shows often start late and drag on and on. Many barking dogs (it has a kennel on premise). Scary food vendor. We show here a lot because it's close.

Briarwood is in a different league. It runs 4 or 5 rings (if they use the indoor), the 3 main rings have great footing. Jumps are very nice. Hunter courses can be a little creative (which I personally like) in the main ring, pretty straightforward in the others. Jumper jumps are bright and differing with nice courses (occasionally interesting...). There will be WAY more people at Briarwood, days run long, but they keep the shows moving. Great management. Food vendor eye-candy. We show here pretty often because we like it, but it's one of our farther ones.

I am actually extremely disappointed that I leave for vacation on the Saturday of Briarwood's A because I REALLY wanted to do that handy hunter derby! Uhg. Leave it to them to make me NOT WANT to go on vacation! lol
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

woodedge was the worst show i have ever been to. the footing and facility jumps were fine i thought, but those barking dogs. it really got on my nerves. non stop barking dogs. my old horse was bomb proof, but he freaked out in the trailer when i went to put in entries due to the dogs. and he just would not relax because of those dogs!!! i think management should move the dogs when they have a show. i was so on edge about the non stop barking i had to get out of there.
    briarwood is where i ride so i have favoritism for this show! but before i rode with them, i always wanted to go to BWF shows. the shows are fantastic. great places to park trailer, gorgeous fences, really fun courses to jump, great footing, nice management! just love the show! i think its a AA show at a C rated price! but i am biased!
    the courses are really nice. i have only shown my green horse at BWF so far and he is so good jumping around their courses. i think they are very encouraging for a green horse and just plain fun to jump around for anyone else.
    i have shown in all 3 rings. jumpers, hunters and eq ring. all really fun!

I showed at Woodedge years ago, at an "A" show. Looking back, I would have thought it was a "C" show at best! The place is just a bit strange. Nothing dangerous, but nothing that made it feel special. I don't recall the barking dogs, but it has been a while.

I recently started riding again, and have shown at Briarwood in the last couple months. The rings are beautiful, the jumps are very nice, the courses are fun. Very nice environment, friendly people, good food vendor.

Default Woodedge

I have never been to Briarwood but... the jumper ring at Woodedge is the smaller ring mentioned by the PP. It is sand, extremely small but the fences weren't too looky. If your horse can't manuever in a smaller ring, you are sunk. ring size is maybe 125 by 100 with 10 jumps.
    entries were light last show, dogs still present and barking. Show moved slowly but didn't really drag especially compared to dreampark's winter shows.
    Don't go near the food vendor!!!! Food prices are crazy!!
    We did get good points at the show and will go back again for the upcoming show. We may bring ear plugs this time though!

Totally agree re: the barking dogs being a deal-breaker for me at Woodedge. Some people tune them out or consider it white noise. It's like nails on chalkboard for me.
    Wedonit
    Ch. G, 2000
    Stalwars x Theydonittoknight

I've never shown at Woodedge but have been to some of their shows at NJHP -- I've had good experiences at the NJHP shows -- I liked that the schooling areas weren't too crowded -- The facility is nice and the shows ran smoothly -- I don't think any of their summer shows are at NJHP --

Briarwood summer shows are nice too -- I think the small hunter ring in the back where I showed one baby greenie is a bit too small for showing, but they mostly run beginner/pony classes back there which is fine --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

"I've never shown at Woodedge but have been to some of their shows at NJHP -- I've had good experiences at the NJHP shows -- I liked that the schooling areas weren't too crowded -- The facility is nice and the shows ran smoothly -- I don't think any of their summer shows are at NJHP --"

Actually the July 30-August 2 show is at the Horse Park. Classlist is online at www.woodedge.com

Long time boarder at Woodedge. I find it amusing that people often complain about the dogs and the barking. I (and my horses) must be immune to the dogs, because neither one of us ever notice the noise. Totally block it out. And there is no way to move the dogs - the kennel is it's own business (and quite busy at that).

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    Actually the July 30-August 2 show is at the Horse Park. Classlist is online at www.woodedge.com
    I stand corrected -- Definitely worth checking out any show they're holding at NJHP --

As far as dogs go, I can understand how they could detract from some show experiences -- My retired mare has been fine with the barn dogs she's known, but take her to someplace with kennels or cross paths with a hunt, and keeping her attention becomes a real struggle -- Makes absolutely no difference to my gelding -- Gotta love him for that --

I think I'm nearly deaf to background noise which probably helps me tremendously when riding in noisy environments -- One of the techniques my trainer recommends for staying relaxed on course is to listen for background noise -- He'll tell me to listen to the birds or the cars on a nearby highway -- I SOOOOOOO can't do this -- Find it totally distracting to try -- When my mare gets out of sorts at the sound of dogs, it takes me a few moments to realize they're even barking --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Quote Originally Posted by gusbabe View Post
    I have never been to Briarwood but... the jumper ring at Woodedge is the smaller ring mentioned by the PP. It is sand, extremely small but the fences weren't too looky. If your horse can't manuever in a smaller ring, you are sunk. ring size is maybe 125 by 100 with 10 jumps.
    entries were light last show, dogs still present and barking. Show moved slowly but didn't really drag especially compared to dreampark's winter shows.
    Don't go near the food vendor!!!! Food prices are crazy!!
    We did get good points at the show and will go back again for the upcoming show. We may bring ear plugs this time though!
    I'm not sure if I missed something at the last Woodedge show or not, but the jumpers don't go in the little ring. Maybe an itty bitty jumper division or something, but I don't ever even remember that happening! The jumpers go in the main ring, which is much bigger. However, I CRY when the pre childrens horses and/or childrens ponies get stuck in that little ring! You just do NOT get a chance to show off in that ring.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad someone else agrees with me about that food vendor. Last time, we drove to the wawa in town rather than go near that trolley!

I don't think it's really fair to compare Woodedge to Dream Park shows though... I mean, come on, Woodedge has been doing this for like, 30 years and DP was a first time thing! I would think Woodedge would have it down while DP would still be working the kinks out (and oh yes, I did spend MANY hours at DP this winter!).

I'm lucky, the barking is like "white noise" to me most of the time, as someone said, and we've never had any major problems with the horses, but sometimes it does irritate me in general.
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

I have been to both on several occasions ... Briarwood is a nice show, with decent sized schooling areas, good footing, nice jumps, etc. etc. Overall I would say it is a top quality show.

Woodedge is o.k. - however, the barking dogs are enough to drive anyone insane. Also, there is no real warmup area except for some grass area with a few jumps in it. Even in good weather it less than ideal. Additionally, even the main ring at Woodedge is not very large - although it does have a bank in the middle of it which is pretty cool haha! And-as someone else mentioned - if it rains the footing gets very deep.

However, the above being said the Woodedge shows have always been well run and the people are super nice. However, given the option I would choose Briarwood.

I have not been to a Nriarwood show in a long while but I recall them being large, well run, and nice.

Woodegde I will do ONLY if it hasn't been raining. The footing in the rings holds up ok but I am terrified of the wet sandy "schooling ring" when it rains. Terrified. On three separate ocassions I have seen 3 capable horses slip and fall there. Fall DOWN. I think that schooling area is acceptable in good weather but downright dangerous when wet. I would either school a jumper in the small ring during a break or not school if I showed up and it was wet.

I don't even HEAR the dogs (or the guns at Vince's)-- I am always on tune out mode at shows. I literally DON'T HEAR it.

I like the folks at Woodedge. They are accomodating and try to keep the show organized.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Never shown at Woodedge, but I like Briarwood a lot. They have three show rings and two schooling rings which allows lots of different classes to run. No late fees, Jack and/or Katie are always around for questions or comments, and the office is well run. I'm definitely showing more there this year.

I showed there yesterday in the jumpers and had fun. The course was well set, with nice and interesting jumps. Entries were a little light, but that's probably because it was 4th of July weekend and on a Tuesday. Their "A" show should have more horses. The only bad thing I could say about the Jumper schooling ring is that the footing is a touch deep on the far end. Nothing catastrophic, just a bit more sand than I would like. Everything else is very nicely set up and run. Definitely worth it.

I also have never seen jumpers go in the little ring at Woodedge. I've always seen that ring used for beginner/low adult/child classes 2'6 and under. And although the ring is smallish, it is plenty appropriate for that and frankly when I was first getting back into showing I found a bit of security in being in that smaller ring, a little more out of the way, a little away from the crowds, and with less space to build up steam. For what they use it for, I feel as though it's a good size. Now for jumpers, even little ones-- yikes! I can't imagine!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have shown numerous times at both venues, and like them both. I agree with what a previous poster above said regarding entries - I would expect that the show at BWF will probably be much larger. BWF is a very nice facility and the put on very well run shows.

[I have to add here that I used to show at the "old Briarwood" years ago, and I really liked riding on that grass outside course! Boy, I must be getting old . . . .]

That being said, I do want to defend Woodedge a bit here. I happen to really like riding in their main ring. I ride hunters, and every horse I have ever shown in that ring has gone well and jumped well there. We went to a Woodedge show a few months ago after it had rained all night the night before. Depsite the weather, the footing had held up remarkably, and the courses/fences were really nice. I personally don't mind the dogs, but I know not everyone can tune out things like that.

I think you will have a good time no matter which venue you pick - have fun and good luck!
    Proud Member of Team Barbaro!!!!!