The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Safely double dose of K9 Advantix?

I know there's a bunch of folks who are clever about these things here, including some vets/vet students, so before I order some flea treatment I just wanted to check-

I have two dogs, one 30lb and one 70lb. I want to try K9 Advantix on them this year since Frontline didn't seem to do so much last year, and it comes in 21-55 lb strength and 55+ strength. Since each pack costs $50, what I'm wondering is - can I just buy the 21-55 one and use two on the larger dog? One and a half?

Obviously, I don't want to poison either of them in the name of saving some money, but I don't really have $50 to spend if it isn't necessary.

ETA: I'm willing to consider something other than the Advantix, also, if there's a good reason for it. Like I said, Frontline just doesn't seem to work as well around here anymore.
    Last edited by kdow; Jul. 8, 2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: see ETA

Ok, so here's what I can find out. The red 21-55lb size tubes contain 2.5ml of Advantix. The 55-100lb size is 4mls. So basically it would be a tube and a half. From a cost standpoint it's probably more efficeint to buy the larger size and just measure out the smaller dose. Save the extra for next month.

DO be very careful to measure it out correctly, and if there's a question err on the side of underdosing. K9 Advantix contains a permethrin, which is what makes it so extremely toxic to cats, and at high doses it's equally toxic to dogs. Permethrins/pyrthrins are basically a non species specific neruotoxin, meaning if any animals gets contact with too high of an amount they can cause problems for that animal, including people. I think horse people tend to be a little more relaxed about the 'toxic chemical' part because to us it's fly spray!

Another product that might also work well for you is Vectra 3D, which is very similar to Advantix, but if you're going to be combining doses might be a little safe, since it has slightly lower % levels of permethrins. There are 4.7mls in the 55-95lb size and 3.6mls in the 21-55lb size.

Honestly the safest product to combine sizes on is Advantage or Frontline, but if ticks are an issue and frontline isn't working you're kinds of left with Vectra or Advantix. If you do decide to combine or split doses just be very cautious, and monitor for and neurologic signs. If you see any changes in behavior or trembling, any unusualy behavior wash the dog very well with Dawn or another dish soap that will break down the oil and then off to the vet.

Katherine
    Vet Tech
    Last edited by Horsegal984; Jul. 8, 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add mls of Vectra

Default True story...

My friend's vet was telling her about a dog who had been brought in very sick, had the runs for a few weeks, and he said he had used Advantix a couple of weeks ago. The vet said 'this is a very unusual reaction, we've not heard of this, how much did you use", then the guy goes on to say "I put the whole thing IN HER MOUTH".

Do make sure you get the right dose, and put it on the outside....

What I have done is buy the size for giant dogs since it's only a few bucks more than the package for small dogs. Figure out the dosage for smaller dogs (often it's right on the pkg how many cc's), and use a small syringe to suck out the appropriate amount. Remove the needle and squirt it on the dogs.

With Frontline, for example, the applicator for dogs 89-132# contains 4.02 ml. For dogs 23-44# the dosage is 1.32 ml. I can treat three 25# Corgis for 3 months with one 3-pk that costs about $50. If I bought the same amount in Corgi size it would cost me about $135.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegal984 View Post
    Ok, so here's what I can find out. The red 21-55lb size tubes contain 2.5ml of Advantix. The 55-100lb size is 4mls. So basically it would be a tube and a half. From a cost standpoint it's probably more efficeint to buy the larger size and just measure out the smaller dose. Save the extra for next month.
    Thanks so much! Yeah, ticks are a problem, so that rules out some of the options.

I think I'll get the larger size and measure out half a dose for the smaller dog - she's 30 lb so 2ml should probably work out fine even though it's a little less than the 21-55lb dose. I'd rather under dose her a tiny bit than risk overdosing the big guy.

Do you have any cats in your house or just the dogs? K9 Advantix is toxic to cats and I would not recommend using it if you have cats in the house, especially if they like to cuddle with the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by In The Gate View Post
    Do you have any cats in your house or just the dogs? K9 Advantix is toxic to cats and I would not recommend using it if you have cats in the house, especially if they like to cuddle with the dogs.
    Just the dogs. There aren't even any cats they get close enough to regularly to be a problem. (There's a couple people in the neighborhood who let their cats out during the day, but there's pretty much just a dog/cat staring contest for a bit and then the dogs get bored and wander off. Occasionally one of the cats will lurk well-hidden and rush out right in front and make the dogs go 'wtf?' which is kind of funny.)