The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to get low priced Elastikon?

So I'm dealing with two wounds on my guy that need to be kept wrapped until they are fully healed. Elastikon is the only thing that stays on in his hot humid weather of Florida. I'm going through 3 rolls a week right now rewrapping bandages every other day. I've been getting Elastikon from my vet but I was hoping to be able to buy some in bulk. However my local feed store has it for 15 dollars a ROLL and I seem to be able to find it for around 8 dollars a roll online. I really dont want to keep spending 30 dollars a week on just bandaging materials. I already have a high enough vet bill to go along with it!

So anyone know where to get it cheaper?
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

You can buy "fake" Elastikon for usually somewhat less than the real stuff. It's fine. Not sure what size rolls you're needing, but you can get 24 rolls of the 3" stuff for 60 bucks at Med101. (www.med101store.com)
    Click here before you buy.

Elastikon costs $8/roll from the manufacturer direct...we charge $15/roll at the hospital. It's not cheap stuff! I would check out that link deltawave posted. It really can add up when you're doing bandage changes...

A secret to keeping it sticky longer: put one whole roll in the microwave for 45 seconds, then apply -- the heat will adhere it better. Not sure how well it'll work in FL, but it's worth a shot.

Check out the E-Bay offerings: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

I always buy "human" Vet Wrap from an E-Bay Store.... much cheaper by the case that way.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Check out the E-Bay offerings: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

I always buy "human" Vet Wrap from an E-Bay Store.... much cheaper by the case that way.
    Me too, and it works just as well!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

“While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Thanks for the knock off brand!

Vetwrap/Coban ect. Just does not stay up or on my horse it has been muddy and wet and humid in Florida for the last month and vet wrap just wont stick.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

If you think you'll be ordering enough, Valley Vet will offer free shipping over I think it's $50. I used them for my horse's last hoof injury, also the only stuff that would stay stuck around the hoof/coronet band:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

A second vote for Quality Medical Supplies. It's the real thing without the sticker shock.

I have had good luck using sport wrapping tape, the kind used to tape up ankles and wrists.

I use the sport wrap tape instead of adhesive tape, over a thickly wrapped leg. Holds well, easier to remove than the adhesive tapes, cheaper too. I get it in a 6 pr 12 roll pack, which is cheaper than by the roll. Our local store Meijers, carries it in the sporting goods dept.

I would go broke, using Elasticon on wound wraps. Funny how the cost of bandaging can be so VERY expensive! Especially if you need to keep it covered for a month or longer. I use some shortcuts for bandaging wounds which work fine and cost less, not human grade sterile products.

If you have a good relationship with your local small animal vet they can order it by the case for you at much cheaper prices.