The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Farriers' Fix Hoof Oil

Anyone have any experience with this product?

http://farriersfix.com/

Well, I bought some and will review eventually.

Contents: Venice Turpentine, Cod Liver Oil, Wintergreen Oil, Safflower Oil, Vitamins A, D and E

Where do you buy it? It sounds good!

My local tack shop just started carrying it. Apparently, she was impressed with the guy's presentation at a conference.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Red face

Interesting that on the web page the only testimonial about the product comes from the person who developed the product.

That aside, if the cost is right then it may be worth trying.

It is a new product and I think the website is lacking. It wasn't cheap: $20 for a pint, but the tack store didn't have Durasole or Keretex (which kinda scare me reading about them at least Durasole). I wanted to start a treatment on a softish soled mare after vet visit. For hardening, usage is 3X a week.

We are having the wettest spring/summer in a while.

Paul Heller, the creator of Farrier Fix personally shoes my horses so I have been using it for a while, before it was available. It is excellent, my horses feet are in great condition. Before I started using it, my mare would go lame because she had low, weak heels. I started using it and this kept her a lot sounder. I would definitely recommend it as a hardener or just to keep their feet in good condition. I use it 2 or 3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by lalahartma1 View Post
    It is a new product and I think the website is lacking. It wasn't cheap: $20 for a pint, but the tack store didn't have Durasole or Keretex (which kinda scare me reading about them at least Durasole). I wanted to start a treatment on a softish soled mare after vet visit. For hardening, usage is 3X a week.

We are having the wettest spring/summer in a while.
    What did you read about durasole that scared you?
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Oh, just the Formaldehyde and the usage instructions. I will definately try it out if things don't improve.

Durasole is formulated and intended for use only on the equine frog and sole. When applying, wear safety lenses and liquid impermeable gloves. Do not breathe vapors. Do not smoke, eat, or drink while applying. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. If spilled on skin, remove immediately with isopropyl alcohol; if splashed in eyes, flush with water and seek medical attention immediately. Keep out of reach of children. Flammable, keep away from sparks or open flames.

http://www.durasole.com/Durasole_use.html

Quote Originally Posted by neigh.neigh View Post
    Paul Heller, the creator of Farrier Fix personally shoes my horses so I have been using it for a while, before it was available. It is excellent, my horses feet are in great condition. Before I started using it, my mare would go lame because she had low, weak heels. I started using it and this kept her a lot sounder. I would definitely recommend it as a hardener or just to keep their feet in good condition. I use it 2 or 3 times a week.
    Thanks!

I've used Durasole for a while now...never gotten it in my eyes but I get it on my hands a lot. It dries them out but hasn't killed me yet. Guess I should have read the warning label, lol!

It was great for a soft soled horse I recently sold.

^^^ Heh! Thanks!

Haha! I saw this product on display at my local feed store and asked the proprietor about it. They also carry a hoof product I make, so I'm always interested in the competition.

Proprietor told me this fellow had spoken to me at some point and was inspired to come up with his own product. He's evidently spending more time on marketing and micer packaging. I'm sure it's a nice product -- it has some ingredients in common with mine, but mine has stuff in it that, IMHO, makes it more effective.

Just had to weigh in!
    Last edited by ThreeFigs; Jul. 8, 2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo

Beasmom--You've got a PM!

Quick update: after a week, no appreciable increase in hardness, but the stuff does seem to give her some relief when applied. She likes it!

I swearby this stuff! Forget Thrushbuster or any other thrush remedy, this stuff WORKS! I tried every single thrush product on the market and the thrush would not go away. I saw this at my feed store, the womantold me everyonewho buys it comes back n raving about it. So I bought it, used itfor a week and holy crap thrush disappeared in the first wo days. Its important that you use it on the insider and outside of the hoof when the hoof is clean. I usually hose the foor out with warm water, let her dryfor ten minutes then put this stuff, wait another ten minutes then ride. Easy

I use it on my TBs-- one has had a hard to treat thrush infection plus soft and thin soles. Seems to help, and I also bought and added a small bottle of tea tree oil to "up" the antibacterial properties.

Awwwwww shucks!

I ush 'bout fife kases of DURAWASASHOLE in a yeer. It ain't affekted me a durn bit . . . HIC-UP!

I use farrier fix alot. It is a favorite.

Smile I love it!

Farriers' Fix Hoof Oil is the best stuff ever! I used to use Hoof Alive, it was good but expensive and sticky. Farriers' Fix keeps hooves nice, and its shiny, good smelling, and affordable!