The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare displaying agitation under saddle - ovaries hurting?

Recently (the past month or so) my mare has been behaving more and more agitated/uncooperative u/s I just chalked it up to extra energy and her hot TB self.

It is getting worse and she doesn't behave this way on the ground or on the lunge which makes me believe that the reason she is misbehaving is because she is hurting some where cause by my riding. I have considered it saddle soreness but I am heavily leaning towards something to do with her lady bits. Mainly her cycles have been odd and I've had her respond to ill fitting saddles and this is not how she typically act towards them. Both my farrier and my BM both believe that it is the likelier of the two.

So I am assuming the next step from here is to get her palpated, but then what?

This is new to me, so what kinds of things can cause her ovaries/back to hurt? What are the common options to help her?
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

What is she actually doing, exactly? You didn't mention the specific behaviors. Tail swishing, teeth bearing, kicking out, what?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

She feels uncomfortable (unable to relax like she does on the lunge) and distracted. She'll often toss her head and shoot forward for no apparent reason. At the canter she has trouble with falling out behind but is better when cantering in the two-point instead of sitting. Previously we were jumping 2'6" (she is green) but now we are not jumping because she was running at them or stopping, which before I thought we just needed more flat work but now I think it may be pain related.

I am still not even certain this is right, it could just still be training issues. It can't hurt to get it checked out, right?

Someone mentioned to me to try a day or two of bute to see if the pain (if it exisits) goes away and she seems more comfortable. Would this be a terrible idea?

!! is the new .

Regumate...get that little girls ovaries under control.

After 3-4 days, if it is hormonal, you should be seeing a big change.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Regumate....not sure how it works, could you explain it to me? Do they stay on it permanately or only a few days per month?

can you tell I'm a gelding person? lol

!! is the new .

Here's their website:

http://www.regu-mate.com/
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Here's their website:

http://www.regu-mate.com/
    Regumate did nothing for my mare....on some it works and some it doesn't.

In my opinion your first move should be a workup from the vet to see if it is hormonal. My mare was making follicles even with regumate and can be painful sometimes. She has not been on anything for 2 years and I have learned how to ride through these times......and as she has gotten older she has learned how to deal. But she has been checked and is "normal"...no ovarian cysts or tumors etc.

Just a mare doing her mare thing....for mine it is the worst during transition....fall....during srping and summer she is really good.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com