The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What stallion to pick - Please help

Hi all

I am trying to find a stallion for my Zweibrucker mare. She is by Casi (Calvin)on the stallion line and Furier/Furioso 11 on the mother line. SHe's a little small (15'3) and is a little hot, but is a fabulous jumper with a huge heart. I want to replicate her just in a bigger form. I've been recommended to Limbus. She's been bred previousy to Ariadus and Linaro (both produced lovely babies), but I'm considering a different stallion. I'd prefer fresh, but would be open to frozen suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

As a sidenote, I do like Ironman and see he has very good input from people on the board. ANy thoughts on the combination with my mare? She's also a grey with very good confirmation. Also, I know it's late in the season for breeding and choosing a stallion, but I keep changing my mind and I've only got a few more days to select as she's probably going to be ready by the weekend to breed. She just gave birth 10 days back so we couldn't do it sooner

I would also look into the jumper stallions at Rainbow Equus (as I said elsewhere, I particularly love Landkoenig) and Silver Creek. Edgar (Rainbow Equus) and Barb (Silver Creek) could give you good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Brown View Post
    As a sidenote, I do like Ironman and see he has very good input from people on the board. ANy thoughts on the combination with my mare? She's also a grey with very good confirmation. Also, I know it's late in the season for breeding and choosing a stallion, but I keep changing my mind and I've only got a few more days to select as she's probably going to be ready by the weekend to breed. She just gave birth 10 days back so we couldn't do it sooner
    My friend's mare just had a foal by him -- I am dying to see it but she is out of town so I am waiting until she gets back.

But she has told me on several occasions how great it was to work with his owner, Nancy and how accomodating she is. So I think that would be a great SO to work with late in the breeding season.

I like Ironman, Romantic Star and Cielo B.

Give a look to Cascani. He is a great cross for a hotter mare...and you appear to be breeding for the AHHA by the previous stallion choices. I have sold two of his foals already this year. His offspring are easy to break and have great jumping capacity as proven by the video links here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJfrnXcyOBo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT-7c...eature=related

Here is a video of Cascani competing in Monterrey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKtzQ...eature=related
    www.octoberhill.com

Home of approved stallions Coconut Grove, Mezcalero, Justice, Ocordo, Amaretto D II, Churchill OHS, Concho OHS, and Cascani.

Default Never too late for Ironman

Late? It's only July...ask Nancy and she'll tell you that we've had great August and September babies...Ironrule is a late August I think. Ironman will definetly put on height and add his great temperment to the mix.
    Noteworthy: worthy of notice or attention; notable; remarkable. —Synonyms: distinguished, outstanding, significant. AKA Ike (aka Hurricane Mike).

It's late in some climates, not in mine.

Ironman is a super stallion with many, many get on the ground as proof of his ability as a sire. His son Ironrule was Res Ch Nationally in Hunter Breeding as a 3 yr old. Both stallions are wonderful.

Nancy Maloney's reputation as a stallion owner is IMPECCABLE! She will go out of her way to be extremely helpful, very knowledgeable and she keeps her word, and contracts. Excellent horseman to work with.

Go with Ironman or Ironrule, either is a fabulous choice!
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

What about Cortilo - one of Anke Magnussen's stallions? He has size, temperment, fabulous jumper and old Holsteiner blood. He's by Constant, who was also the sire of Chin Chin - one of the hottest sires in Europe right now. Google Royal Oaks Farms in Thousand Oaks CA

Quote Originally Posted by avadog View Post
    I like Ironman, Romantic Star and Cielo B.
    Ditto!!!

I am trying to find a stallion for my Zweibrucker mare. She is by Casi (Calvin)on the stallion line and Furier/Furioso 11 on the mother line. SHe's a little small (15'3) and is a little hot, but is a fabulous jumper with a huge heart. I want to replicate her just in a bigger form.
    With that Caletto II sitting so close in her pedigree, I would put her to a Capitol son. You can't beat the Capitol-Caletto II nick for producing world-class showjumpers. And the Capitol should mellow out the heat and add some size.

Her size is probably due at least in part to the Roman in Casi's pedigree... problem is that Roman is inconsistent in the production of size - some are small, some are big, so it's a bit of a crap shoot. I think I would shoot for an average-producing size stallion (nothing too big, too small, too heavy, too light) and hope for the best. Although the size of her Ariadus and Linaro offspring should give you some insight into what size she is throwing.

What's also striking in her pedigree to me is that Furioso sitting so close. Perhaps this is a bit of a jumble of ideas, but here goes... Voltaire is touted as the best Furioso jumping son. One of the hotter nicks right now in Europe is Capitol on Nimmerdor blood. And Voltaire nicks well with Nimmerdor blood. If your mare tends to be more Voltaire-like over fences (very careful), I think I'd seriously take a look at a stallion with Capitol and Nimmerdor blood. There are some good ones to choose from, with both fresh and frozen options.

Best of luck!

Hi all

Reopening this thread as I'm looking for another stallion for my mare. Since this post she's had 2 lovely babies by Lankonig. Latest one just 10 days old. I would post pics if I could figure out how

I'd like to breed her again. She's getting up there in age - 18 this year, but has taken really well ( both times on first attempt with Landkonig) so I'm considering Good quality frozen also. Doesn't really matter what registry. However since she has the Cord blood, I'm thinking a Capitol son possibly with some Nimmerdor mixed in. Any suggestions? Shes a little hot so trying to stay away from firecracker daddies. I really want a proven stallion that throws great amateur babies.

Thanks for advice. I did look at Balou (realize he's not Capitol) but am not sure if baby would be too hot. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

We have few stallions that could be interesting. We have fresh for both Imothep (Indoctro) and Dakota (Casall), and frozen for Zilverstar VDL (Cardento). None are hot, but all have plenty of blood. You can go to our site and find more information on all three including others we have listed.

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

I just learned today that Cielo B has an offspring that won the 5 year old Young Jumper class at Ledges this past week. Since we lost Cielo in 2010, he's only available frozen, but it is very good quality.

For fresh, please take a look at Valentino (Darco x Feo) and Cartier R (Cassini I x Acorado) - both stallions are approved GOV and other registries.

If you are feeling "daring" - I have a fantastic Chin Chin x Carthago x Major de la Cour stallion as well as a Quaprice de Bois Margot x Dollar de la Pierre x Cumano. Not yet approved, but lots of Jump

Good luck with your search.

Hi all

Reopening this thread as I'm looking for another stallion for my mare. Since this post she's had 2 lovely babies by Lankonig. Latest one just 10 days old. I would post pics if I could figure out how

I'd like to breed her again. She's getting up there in age - 18 this year, but has taken really well ( both times on first attempt with Landkonig) so I'm considering Good quality frozen also. Doesn't really matter what registry. However since she has the Cord blood, I'm thinking a Capitol son possibly with some Nimmerdor mixed in. Any suggestions? Shes a little hot so trying to stay away from firecracker daddies. I really want a proven stallion that throws great amateur babies.

Thanks for advice. I did look at Balou (realize he's not Capitol) but am not sure if baby would be too hot. Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks
    We bred to Amazing and are expecting our foal in a month or so. His semen quality was great and caught our mare on the first try, even when she was trying hard to make things difficult. The bonus was Ahna was great to work with, which is a must for me. Good luck
    http://www.cornerstonefarmpa.com/amazing.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazi...24022764291405
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube