The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need some input re. fresh vs. frozen NOW! :-S

So my dearly complicated maiden whom we synchronized following the P&E protocol had a 34mm follicle yesterday. We followed the protocol strictly and I administered HCg today, as per the protocol.

I call the stallion owner to arrange for collection of the semen for a insemination tomorrow.

Stallion is injured, no go for fresh but she offers frozen.

Argh.

I really want to breed to this stallion but my mare has had an history of being complicated and having a stronger reaction to semen (fluid + inflammation). Should I avoid frozen semen by all means possible or is it still worth the shot with proper follow-up work (ie. flush + oxytocin protocol)?

Or I *could* *maybe* manage to get some fresh but from another stallion...

What do I do now? Except curse the gods for making it such a costly and complicated breeding season?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I do not see an alternative offered but you know fresh would probably be better, if you like the stallion it came from, however given the timeframe, why not give the frozen a shot with proper follow up as you mention.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Well the alternative would be to forget about the first stallion for now and scramble to find some fresh semen!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

I can send some if you or your vet have a permit available...
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Why dont you ship the mare to Dr Lawrence at Transbio, she is not so far from you, and she can take care of all the inflammatory effects amongst other things; she is excellent at her job.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Ingrid is right, Dr Lawrence is fantastic - plus you could use some of your Sambuca semen which is already on site at Transbio!!! We KNOW it is proven to be excellent, over 75% motility upon thawing!! Has the other stallion in question ever gotten a pregnancy from frozen?

Ack... decisions decisions!

The other stallion is already on site at Transbio and his semen is said to be excellent (with successful pregnancies to boot!)
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

So the original stallion choice (SW) is also available at Trans Bio? And also has proven pregnancies with frozen? Well then get her on the trailer, take her to Dr. Lawrence and let her get to work!

LOL! I just called and left a message for Dr. Lawrence to call me back... We'll see!

Breeding, very much like gambling isn't it?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

Good call to take her to Transbio. I find that EACH time I decide to do one at home to save costs, I end up shipping her there later on anyway, so after this happening 3 times, I no longer bother with the "at home" breedings.
    Afterall, when people want to hear a top quality professional, international calibre orchestra, they come hear the OSM , (and yes, I play in it, and am not even biased).
    And when I expect my mares bred, it only make sense to go to the top in that field as well:-)
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Haha Ingrid, I should introduce you to my brother, musician as well! A professional drummer though... slightly different field of interest...

Anyways, this mare is going to Transbio today and hopefully it'll work!! If I am satisfied, I might just take the others there too... until I learn to do all my repro work, it might be a good idea...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

I think that is a great option , unless they are a 2 day drive away
    www.immunallusa.com

I am SO sorry to hijack this thread...I wish you the BEST of luck with your mare!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinto WB View Post
    Ingrid is right, Dr Lawrence is fantastic - plus you could use some of your Sambuca semen which is already on site at Transbio!!! We KNOW it is proven to be excellent, over 75% motility upon thawing!! Has the other stallion in question ever gotten a pregnancy from frozen?
    This caught my eye...anyone have a Sambuca baby out there?? I have a yearling by him who I just LOVE!! Would love to see more if they are out there!!

Thanks EEF!

There will be more Sambuca babies on the ground soon... I have some doses who I think of using of this particular mare in the future!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

Oh thats exciting!! Best of luck with your mare!!