The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What type of wood for your stalls?

What type of wood are yours made out of? pine, oak, 2x4, 2x6, plywood, other type of panel, etc.? We were planning on going with tongue and groove but I guess I didn't realize how much more expensive they are! I haven't done much shopping around though. Do you have any stain or finish on them? We have a ton of support posts so I'm not worried about them flexing and think the stall will be really stable. You might remember me posting this before, but we ended up going with all of the extra 6x6 posts for stability. So I guess I'm not sure what the safest is also.

Rough-cut oak for the back wall and sides, tongue and groove treated 2x6's for the fronts.

If I couldn't get oak (or hemlock in the NE), I'd use either southern yellow pine(SYP) or treated lumber- which is made from SYP. Horses will eat regular dimension lumber (pine, fir, spruce) like it's candy.

Ours is 2x6 tongue and groove yellow pine. Yellow pines are cheaper than oaks. At the bottom row, we use treated wood.

I know tongue and groove are more expensive than the regular lumber but to us it is worth it. No matter how good your wood are, eventually they will warp and will have gaps between lumber. Tongue and groove prevent that. Our stalls double as foaling stalls and I cannot risk having babies wedged between lumber. Yes this kind of things happened and have killed babies. The mare' delivery is explosive and the force can shoot the baby right through the gaps. Horses have gotten their hooves jammed between gaps when kicking and pawing.

Regardless what kind of wood you choose, you need to protect your precious lumber by staining or painitng all four sides. Many people don't understand how humid the stalls environments are and only stain the face side, leaving the back side exposed to the humid environment.

If you are painting or staining your lumber yourself, do yourself a favor and get yourself a painting/staining gun so you won't kill yourself...

No Pine anywhere. It's yummy.

We have hickory and oak, Had the boards rough sawn by an amish mill, and is was very very affordable.

Our dividing wall boards are 2 inches thick, and lag bolted into the support beams. All other boards are one inch thick.

Oak or yellow pine...which is much harder than normal pine.

Regular old 2x8 dimensional lumber from Lowe's. All edges that are within reach of a horse's teeth are clad in galvanized edging to prevent chewing. Finished with all-purpose deck/concrete sealer. The bottom tier is pressure-treated lumber, as that's the only part of the stall that is exposed to any significant wetness. I would've liked tongue and groove, but I've had a minimum of shrinkage--mostly the pressure-treated pieces--because I hand-selected each board and let them sit and dry for a couple of weeks before I cut and built with it. Minimal gapping, no warping.
    Click here before you buy.

I have Pressure treated v-match yellow pine for my whole barn except posts, supporting elements and trusses. Those are also PT though. Living in Florida, to use anything that wasn't PT was just unwise. Barn has been up for 5 years and I've never had a horse try and eat any of it. I also stained the barn so I've not had an issue with carpenter bees either. (knocking wood)
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I have southern yellow pine with the two bottom boards treated. The back walls are made from reclaimed T&G lumber, that I have no idea what it is. Its VERY hard however!! I do have some chew attempt marks, but for the most part they leave it alone. My run in shed is another story, and I can't recall if we used SYP out there, but we did end up putting up rough cut oak boards over the favorite chew places.

tongue in groove smooth finished ash. LOVE it - the ash is as hard or harder than oak, has a beautiful grain, is tough as tough can be and we coated it with a combination of linseed oil and turpentine (at about a 4:1 ratio) and the turp really "drove" the oil into the wood, so it has a nice sheen to it and is very easy to clean off as well

Horses havent touched a board yet one year later and except for the odd small dint from them running their teeth on it it looks brand new

Good luck!

T&G southern yellow pine. It is treated, and waterproofed-stained.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

I'm gonna break the mold .

We used rough cut white and red pine from trees were cut and milled here.

My guys do not chew and the little spots I did find nibble marks on I just sprayed (McNasty or Crib Eliminator) and it stopped. My barn is on the rustic side though! And milled boards are free to us and easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    tongue in groove smooth finished ash.
    I am SO jealous!!!

Our horses leave our exposed wood alone, inside or out. They might strip a tree of its leaves for the fun of it but they don't chew the bark or the wood. If your horses are not cribbers and are eatting your wood, you might want to reconsider their nutritient needs. Many times horses with mineral deficiency will attempt to eat wood.

Oaks are hard wood and pines are softwood. However, southern yellow pines are very hard, harder than many popular hard wood. I don't know the comparison between oak and souther yellow pine though.

I have T&G southern yellow pine. White oak is harder than SYP. Red oak is not as hard as white oak, but I don't know if it is more or less hard than SYP.
    Our stalls are finished inside and out with McCloskey's Man O' War marine spar varnish.

I'm pretty certain my horses are eating the wood out of boredom. Mostly in the winter, when they are all huddled around the shed, beavering away. They have free choice hay out, but choose not to walk over to the hay feeder for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Ours is 2x6 tongue and groove yellow pine. Yellow pines are cheaper than oaks. At the bottom row, we use treated wood.

Same. I LOVE the look of Pine so much more then Oak. Haven't had a problem with horses chewing it all except one or two on extended stall rest.

We have beautiful tongue and groove pine. Our horses have kicked through it on several occasions. For our daughter's barn, we got oak and were much happier. It isn't as pretty as the pine, but doesn't break. I just had the pine in our stall door frames replaced with oak. Our horses kept breaking the pine door frames when they decided they were tired of being locked in their stalls. Now, they have to stay in when we lock them in.

To be up front, I sell southern yellow pine for a living, so I might be a little prejudiced. Generally the oak will be stronger because you buy it two inches thick in the rough. The pine will be 1-1/2 inch surfaced. The grade of pine that you normally find at the big box stores will be either a #3 or #2. If you use a higher grade of pine (#1 or select structural) you would see a big difference in the strength. When you see a broken board from a horse kick, it will usually be where there was a big knot. Higher grades have smaller knots.

Lumber prices right now are at extreme lows. Mills are closing for lack of business. If you have projects that you have been putting off, now would be an excellent time to buy the wood for them. I would suggest extensive shopping for the best prices. The bigger the company the less likely to reflect the lowest price.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    We have beautiful tongue and groove pine. Our horses have kicked through it on several occasions. For our daughter's barn, we got oak and were much happier. It isn't as pretty as the pine, but doesn't break. I just had the pine in our stall door frames replaced with oak. Our horses kept breaking the pine door frames when they decided they were tired of being locked in their stalls. Now, they have to stay in when we lock them in.
    What kind of pine? I ask because Southern Yellow Pine typically is much stronger than you describe. Mine withstands some hard kicks from horses that are 1300 lbs / 17 hands.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    How thick were your boards?