The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OCD Shoulder Surgery Completed!!!

Well, my grey boy finally had his shoulder surgery and the lesion was very small so Dr Doyle expects a full recovery if healing goes as expected. He is the vet techs favorite boy as he is so easy to deal with and loves people.

He will be going to High Brass Farm in Pittstown for rehab....thank you to those who recommended them to me! I love the place. Its a long drive but will be well worth it.

Dr Doyle will do the IRAP post op for several shots to help healing as shoulders take so long. Thank Heavens for insurance cause his rehab is gonna kill me......anybody want to buy him now.....LOL

I will post new pictures of him post surgery when he gets on the aqua tread in a few months.

Thanks to those who kept the jingles going....you know who you are!
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

That is good news. IRAP is the next step for my mare's stifle if she continues to have post-op issues

Do you mind saying what IRAP costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    That is good news. IRAP is the next step for my mare's stifle if she continues to have post-op issues

I think it depends on how many injections, etc. Anywhere from 1200 to 1600. and that inlcudes the collecting of the blood and processing it......so the total treatment.
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnutz View Post
    Well, my grey boy finally had his shoulder surgery and the lesion was very small so Dr Doyle expects a full recovery if healing goes as expected. He is the vet techs favorite boy as he is so easy to deal with and loves people.

He will be going to High Brass Farm in Pittstown for rehab....thank you to those who recommended them to me! I love the place. Its a long drive but will be well worth it.

Dr Doyle will do the IRAP post op for several shots to help healing as shoulders take so long. Thank Heavens for insurance cause his rehab is gonna kill me......anybody want to buy him now.....LOL

I will post new pictures of him post surgery when he gets on the aqua tread in a few months.

Thanks to those who kept the jingles going....you know who you are!
    Yay!!!!

Good news! One big hurdle down right?

PP - I remember your stifle thread. Did you have post-op issues?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    Yay!!!!

Good news! One big hurdle down right?
    Yes...thanks...and from what my surgeon says...with good healing and good rehab he should be good as new as the cyst was small.....keeping fingers crossed he heals well. It is a long process though. That is one of the reasons I sent him to a rehab place...they are pros and will get the job done beteer than I or my barn can....and my BO's are relieved he went to rehab also and are extremely supportive as they LOVE him and cannot wait for him to come home....of course he will have a stall when all healed up!
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    PP - I remember your stifle thread. Did you have post-op issues?
    Yes, we are nearly 3 months post-op and still lame. She had reactions to the sutures and incisions, cellulitis around the joint, and low level inflammation that just wont go away. The vet said it's very rare, but sometimes it happens. Her lesion was very large. She's had a joint injection, but if she's not better in a couple weeks we may have to do additional injections or IRAP.

Yes, we are nearly 3 months post-op and still lame. She had reactions to the sutures and incisions, cellulitis around the joint, and low level inflammation that just wont go away. The vet said it's very rare, but sometimes it happens. Her lesion was very large. She's had a joint injection, but if she's not better in a couple weeks we may have to do additional injections or IRAP.
    Man, bummer!!

Sorry to be taking this off topic, but can I ask -

Was the lameness the same as pre surgery or was there a small change?

Poor girl! This OCD thing seems to be such an emotional roller coaster sometimes. Sending healing thoughts your way

I am so sorry to hear this. I know the stifle, like the shoulder, can be a tricky place and with a big lesion it's harder.

My boy will be in stall for next 2 weeks, then 6 weeks handwalking, then either drugged turn out in very small pen or we may start aqua tread depending on how the healing goes with the IRAP.....there will be no further joint injections...IRAP first and formost every 2 or 3 weeks for 3 or 4 times to help healing.
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com