The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Best Mascara for showing..

I hate to wear waterproof mascara..but also hate it when I am sweating like crazy and mine flakes off. What do you use or recommend? I know this sounds silly - but I am one of those people who has invisible eyelashes and even when I don't wear makeup - I will almost always slap on some mascara.
    Last edited by equusvilla; Jul. 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM.

I recommend your face as God made it.

Mary Kay waterproof - it almost survives an entire horse trial!!

Sorry, but I point and laugh when I see dolled up faces at the barn or at a horse show. It's a HORSE SHOW. As in, poop and sweat and hair and green slime and snot. Wearing makeup is almost as silly as wearing jewellry.
    Wear nice, clean clothes, put your hair in a hairnet, yes, but for god's sake, don't bother with makeup. If you think you're too pale, pinch your cheeks lightly a bunch of times - it's nature's very own blush.

And trust me - no judge is going to notice or care if you have "invisible eyelashes".

Ride on!

So. Very. Wrong.

Showing appearance checklist for the sane:

Horse immaculate, and braided as appropriate.

Human hair tidily put up (hairnet, or any other successful method for confining hair neatly out of view)

Clean neat human turnout: shirt tucked in, jacket and breeches that fit, are clean, and in good repair.

Face clean.

Minimal / no human jewelry.

Boots shiny.

Tack clean.

I know there are folks and disciplines that go in for makeup levels that resemble figure skating more than soccer, but, geez, who can or wants to worry about makeup when you are sweating and riding and wrangling horses and shovelling poo? Isn't getting away from tedious girly appearance standards one of the golden bonuses of riding as a hobby?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Jeez people, she asked for a brand recommendation, not whether or not one should wear makeup...Really, that's totally a personal preference thing, and it totally amazes me when people think their opionions on this have anything to do with the question at hand

To the OP, I don't have any recommendations, but am hoping for some suggestions too - that's why I opened this thread, expecting to find some suggestions rather than posts about how makeup is unneccesary...

Quote Originally Posted by equusvilla View Post
    I hate to wear waterproof mascara..but also hate it when I am sweating like crazy and mine flakes off. What do you use or recommend? I know this sounds silly - but I am one of those people who has invisible eyelashes and even when I don't wear makeup - I will almost always slap on some mascara.
    The best waterproof mascara, imo, is Maybelline, with the green top. Blackest Black rocks.

Isn't getting away from tedious girly appearance standards one of the golden bonuses of riding as a hobby?
    OMG. "Girly appearance standards"? So because I'm an equestrian I must eschew all femininity? I don't think so. I'll go to my grave wearing my breeches AND mascara. Thankyouverymuch.

I love Diorshow waterproof. I have sensitive eyes and wear contacts and haven't had any issues with it.

As far as non-waterproof, I've not found any that didn't leave me racoon-y really quickly.

I spend HOURS dressing my horse up for a show. I spend HOURS cleaning, pressing, and preparing my tack and clothing. I think I deserve 2 minutes worth of moistureizer, sunscreen, deodorant and waterproof mascara so that I feel prepared, pretty and confident for the show, too. I'm a horsewoman who scoops the poop and cleans and all of that, but hell, I'm a woman who likes to look pretty, too. It's not a crime people.
    There's always more to learn if you're willing.

I second the Maybelline waterproof.

I'm not 'girly' all the time, but I've been known to ride while *HORRORS!* wearing makeup.

FWIW, I never went to an A-rated show without wearing makeup. That would have been like not grooming the horse!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Ditto- I wear two things on my face for shows- SPF moisturizer and waterproof mascara. My favorites are Diorshow Iconic and Tarte - Lights, Camera, Splashes. I also tried Urban Decay Big Fatty but I didn't like it. Make Up 4 Ever stays on the fantastic, but I hate the brush.

Whenever I wear mascara (and I always use waterproof), I still end up with little black smudges under my eyes where my lashes hit when I blink. Anyone know of a brand that won't do that or what I can do to make it stop? It's just not a good look and I'd like to be able to wear mascara sometimes!
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

FWIW, I never went to an A-rated show without wearing makeup. That would have been like not grooming the horse!
    Seriously! I wear mascara, perfume and lipstick every day and shovel poop when necessary! Who says girl-girls can't be horsewomen?

That said, I have seen one woman at a dressage show who wore so much make-up that I thought it would melt off in the heat. Red lipstick, heavily lined black eyes. Plus, she added these big gawd awful pearl and diamond earring. In a case like that, yes, less is more.

There is a middle ground between bare-faced and drag queen.

Personally, nothing makes me feel more like me than rockin' a little eyeliner with my muck boots. But that's me

Brown mascara will look more subtle than black, and if you want to skip mascara entirely but look more polished, you can always curl your lashes.

I find I need some makeup at all times or people ask if I'm ill. That's me and my pale self though. I don't look made up, but it stops people from asking me if I need to lie down. Guess what I'm sayin' is I need makeup to look healthy. I also like to cover up some of the sun damage I've aquired from years of being outside with horses.

PM me for further recs...
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof - grey tube with gold lid. *two thumbs up*

Sweatproof, waterproof, won't run, hypo-allergenic, doesn't burn eyes, won't leave black smudges, etc. I use it while at work as well as around horses.

You will, however, require eye makeup remover to get it off your lashes though.

Costs about $5 for a tube, and you can get it anywhere.

Plus, when you look good you feel good. And when you feel good you kick butt!
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

Um, no one said, "Don't shower." Clean is great, and highly endorsed and recommended. But 'clean' doesn't require makeup. It really doesn't.

Even if I weren't morally opposed to makeup w/ riding sports, I don't understand, short of putting shellac over it, how one wears (largely water soluble) makeup while doing something that seems likely to cause sweating, while wearing white shirts, handling white saddle pads, etc. Just. Seems. Crazy. To. Me.

And my sense of my own femininity, ladies, does not come out of a tube of mascara.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Loreal Double Extend......I swear by it!!!! I can wear it to bed and the next morning I can wake up with zero raccoon eyes. Comes off easy in the shower with warm water....nothing left under the eyes when taking it off, it flakes off like feathers!!!
    Member of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

“This is not a game for little boys in short pants.” LeRoy Jolley

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post

Even if I weren't morally opposed to makeup w/ riding sports, I don't understand, short of putting shellac over it, how one wears (largely water soluble) makeup while doing something that seems likely to cause sweating, while wearing white shirts, handling white saddle pads, etc. Just. Seems. Crazy. To. Me.
    I've never had make-up come off on anything I've worn/handled, but, then again, I use (as I think someone else said) sunscreen (sweatproof, sport, PABA-free) and the waterproof mascara - nothing else save maybe chapstick

Um, no one said, "Don't shower." Clean is great, and highly endorsed and recommended. But 'clean' doesn't require makeup. It really doesn't.

And my sense of my own femininity, ladies, does not come out of a tube of mascara.
    Um, I don't know where you saw something about not bathing, but I read every post and didn't see that.

I would venture that none of us think our 'sense of femininity' comes from wearing makeup, Lori. So you're not the only speshul one here.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to wear makeup. You act as if it's the Debbil's Own Evilness to want to wear it, for some reason.

The OP wanted recommendations on a good, waterproof mascara, not a sermon on how she's an insecure tart without a sense of her feminine self if she wears makeup.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Neither does mine but the point is if you don't have something concrete to add to the actual question the OP asked, then why are you posting? Answer the question or move on, its not difficult.
    There's always more to learn if you're willing.