The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Manager On Vacation - Who's "On Duty" At Your Barn?

Wondering how different barns handle the situation of a live-in barn manager being on vacation? Assuming that the live-in arrangement is not only a benefit to the manager in the form of housing, but also to the horses for having someone always around to keep an eye on things. If the barn manager is normally the one who is on the premisis 24/7, and they go away on vacation, how does your barn handle things as far as "night check" and keeping an eye on things and such?

Does someone else come in and stay there? Is their simply nobody there from whenever the last one out is until the staff arrives in the morning? Something different?

Seems like barn managers never get a vacation? This thread has had just under 100 views, but no responses as to how it works at your barn?

We have a barn owner and a barn manager and all of our grooms live on the premisis. The owner/manager (she plays both roles) assumes the role of the manager when hes away and the grooms are all great and handle everything without a hitch.

Don't have a BM, just a BO and to be honest she just doesn't go on vacation. They have not taken a vacation since they built the barn about 15 years ago. It's just a boarding barn that I board at so she never has any shows to go to either. She lives on the property.

My Aunt has her two horses at home and her in-laws come stay at the house when they go on vacation (they go for about 3 weeks twice a year)

I board at a private barn. The barn owner is the manager. They have a tenant who rents a house on their property. She is also a horse owner. They have her take care of the barn when they're on vacation - which isn't very often.

I'm at a private barn as well and am also the only boarder. When my BO goes on 'vacation' (ie: a horse show) her hubby and the second groom takes care of things. When her hubby goes to visit her at the longer circuits like WEF then I live there and take care of the dogs/horses (in return I get some free vet care since hubby is a vet and only have to pay at cost prices on drugs ).

The BM lives on the premises. When she goes on vacay, the working students take over her feedings, the BO/trainer supervises horse care and one of the working students stays in the BM's house on the farm and does night checks.

At my old barn, the BO lived on property and the BM lived maybe half a mile away. There was also a groom who lived in an apartment on BM's property and a boarder who typically did a lot of work around the barn for discounted board. BM did all the day care, BO did a night check before she went to bed. If BO went on vacation, BM would simply take the night check. If BM or both went on vacation (or to a horse show), the boarder would more or less run the barn for the duration, and would either do night check herself or ask someone who lived closer to do it. They could usually wrangle another boarder or teen to give her some extra help for the vacation.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

The BM and BO are two different people here. If they were both incapactiated or away, the head groom would be in charge. He and 'the guys' do most of the daily tasks, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by katie16 View Post
    Wondering how different barns handle the situation of a live-in barn manager being on vacation?
    The barn owner lives on the property with her family, so someone is usually around. When they go on vacation, she arranges for someone to feed at least, and if it's several days she will have one of the older pony clubbers house- and barn-sit for her.

There are times when no one is there overnight, but not generally. There are enough boarders showing up at random times that someone will notice if there's a problem.

--
    Wendy

I am the BO/BM and do travel sometimes for both work and pleasure. While I'm gone, several of my boarders/friends pick up the pieces. I know when I get home that everything will be in order and that I don't have to worry about a thing. It makes is very nice.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Our Hunter/Jumper barn is a family business. It's a husband/wife team along with several daughters who are college aged, they help out when they can. Along with me the assitant trainer/barn manager. There is always one of us home and around to help out if someone goes out of town.

Well, they never go on vacation, but the one time they were gone overnight, the boarders helped out. The BM left an explicit set of instructions regarding feeding, turnout, etc. and the boarders mucked the barn as well. It actually went very smoothly and there were no problems at all.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."