The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face My OTTB before/after video tribute...he's sold!

This is a video/picture tribute to my horse, Matty, who I bought, brought on, sold, bought back, fixed, and now have sold again! I won't tell the whole story here as the video is pretty self explanatory, but this horse holds a very special place in my heart as we haved shared so much and come so far together. I know there are things even in the final footage that leave a lot to be desired on my part and his, but I am still very proud of the horse he has become and can hardly believe he is the same horse I first met in February 2008.

This post isn't for the purpose of critique, it is simply to share a little bit of our story and happy ending.

The video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-GmJB2tNew

Cat
    www.OnceUponADressageDream.com

NB: I will add two small points of clarification about the video!

#1: In regards to the photos he is wearing a double in, he has always been schooled in a snaffle 99.9% of the time. He was introduced to the double under instruction of a Grand Prix rider (I wasn't keen on the idea but gave it a go anyway) and took to it very easily. I was planning to take him to a hack, not dressage, show that weekend but was unable to (see point #2). As I had found that a momentary touch on the curb was enough to stop him bracing his neck when he got distracted and a little tense, and I was a little apprehensive about cantering large circles with 20 other horses on a champion racehorse, I thought it might not be a bad idea to take the double as a back up just in case! So I had planned to ride him in it, but was unable to because of point #2, and it was what I had in the car at the time my friend rode him for his sale photos.

#2: I injured my back quite badly just prior to advertising him. By the time I had my last ride on him, I was beginning to heal reasonably but was still very weak. Matty is a horse that requires a lot of core and back strength when it comes to half halts and getting him to work more correctly. He is not a horse for the hand-reliant rider, but frustratingly this was the only way I could ride him that day because of my back so I did not do him any justice! He, however, was a very tolerant gentleman and still gave me a beautiful and memorable last ride
    Blog posts, updates & videos tweeted to all my followers on Twitter!www.OnceUponADressageDream.com ~ www.twitter.com/dressageblog
    www.youtube.com/cheekywb

What a nice tribute to Matty I'm sure he'll enjoy his new home.

Matty is not the only one who came a long way in such a short time. Whoever you're riding with; keep riding!

I love that instrumental.

congrats on a job well done Beautiful horse and rider.. To many horses are over looked...many are like your boy, diamonds in the rough

Nice job!! You should be proud. Thanks for sharing, and I loved the music too.

really nice video!
    i looooooooooove big bay horses with white! yours was adorable!

Lovely horse- congratulations on his new home.

Do you know his pedigree? A friend has a horse (whom I love) by Saint Ballado who has very similar movement and conformation.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Thanks everyone...he is a gorgeous boy and I miss him lots! I always knew he'd be something lovely in the end

He was bred in Aus..he's by Prince of Birds out of a mare named Flying Zone. He missed out on qualifying for the Melbourne Cup (Australia's biggest race) as he came 2nd in the race he needed to win! He is very well known as a racehorse in South Australia, I couldn't believe how many people I mentioned him to knew him or knew of him and had a story or two to tell!
    Blog posts, updates & videos tweeted to all my followers on Twitter!www.OnceUponADressageDream.com ~ www.twitter.com/dressageblog
    www.youtube.com/cheekywb