The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pantry pests in hay???

On occasion, I have had pantry pests in the kitchen.

I recently got a load of hay, and I have some in each barn, and there are pantry pests or what seem like it everywhere around the hay. Its just in the hay storage area, not near the grain room or shavings area.

I have never experienced this before, is this normal, anything I should be concerned about or worry about.

The hay is from upstate NY near the canadian boarder. I am in NH.
    Just find it very strange. Maybe its not pantry pests but something else?
    Little moth type things, and very prolific.

Don't know what they are, but could you try some of those Pantry pest traps? Little adhesive traps that attract the moths and hold them. If that works, than that's what they might be? If so, you may need a bunch of traps. I don't think they're toxic to other animals.

I thought pantry pests went after wheat or flour, etc.

I just thought it was wierd to have them all over the hay area and wondered if anyone else ever experienced them in their hay.

This was a small load of new hay, and another new load comes in tomorrow, so we'll see if the new hay has them. If they come out again, then I will get the pantry pest traps.

Just never had them in the barn before. They aren't in the grain room, only in the hay area.

I have them this year in Vermont. They came in on my new hay. We make our own hay and have never had them before, so I think it is weird. LOTS of little moths, just like the flour moths, as you said.

If you find something to control them, please post. What are pantry pest traps? Where do you get them?

Does anyone think these moths are going to be a problem going forward? Will they stay in the barn?
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

I think they are actually Indian Meal moths. the traps can usually be found in grocery stores with the pest control products( sprays, ant cups, etc). I found mine at Stop & Shop, but try even home Depot, Lowe's, etc. They are cardboard forms that shape into a kind of tent . You stick on a little attractant that draws the moths in and they stick to the surface . One will last ( a home) about 3 months. They usually come in a two pack. I've never seen them in hay, Weird! They may not be the same thing, but it might work on them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by CB/TB View Post
    I think they are actually Indian Meal moths. the traps can usually be found in grocery stores with the pest control products( sprays, ant cups, etc). I found mine at Stop & Shop, but try even home Depot, Lowe's, etc. They are cardboard forms that shape into a kind of tent . You stick on a little attractant that draws the moths in and they stick to the surface . One will last ( a home) about 3 months. They usually come in a two pack. I've never seen them in hay, Weird! They may not be the same thing, but it might work on them, too.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I had a batch come in with my latest bag of Omega Horseshine too. Noticed the silk trails and the worms and know all too well what an Indian Meal Moth is...all stages of them. Here's a pic

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

I too have noticed a crazy amount of moths in my barn this year. More than I have ever seen before. Heck, I find my cats hunting them.

Obviously my barn toads are not doing a good enough job.