The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those that use Keratex hoof hardner

how long does a bottle last you on average? I keep reading such good reviews of it, but like all good things horsey- its a tad pricey So I was just curious how far a bottle of it would stretch
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I can't pin down an exact day amount but it's always been worth the money to me! I don't use it every day (abet one time where I had a QH who's foot was crumbling off). If I had to guess i'd say 3 months, but that's only if i'm using it a lot. There are long periods where I don't think the hooves need it, or I use something else.

I agree, at least three months. Worth the money.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

You really don't use all that much of it so it does last a long time. I am thinking three months for one horse might be right. It is definitely worth the money -- it has made a big difference in a couple of my horses in the past.

i use it every few days and a bottle easily lasts 3-6 months. Well worth it.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Using it one to three times a week (depending on wetness of weather) for two horses, a bottle easily lasts 2 months, longer during our frequent dry spells. I get much better results with the Keratex than with other products advertised as hoof hardeners, and find it very cost-efficient.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

does anyone know what's in it?

i think it's a cheap chemical - is it formadahyde?
    does it work by hardening the hoof?

i know it's not the same idea, but i use aqueous cream on my horses tootsies, human stuff.
    it's cheap and moisturising.

It is worth the price and lasts a long time. Depending on the horse, you may use it for a while and then not need to. I've gone through a bottle in 3 months, but have also had it last a year. Don't waste your $$ on other products that claim the same results, I've already done that for you.

Thanks guys!
    I was worried about shelling out the money and it lasting a week, but I think that it will definitely be on my next tack store shopping list
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I thought I saw 8% Formaldehyde somewhere. Yes, when you get to using it a couple times a week, it really lasts a long time. I used it more when it was going to be wet for long periods. I think most people use the brush directly out of the bottle's cap (pouring a bit in the cap), but I constantly knocked it over, then it got expensive! I bought a plastic jar with brush to use.

i believe the formaldihyde has been polymerized. It is an amazing product. My small bottle of hoof hardener lasted a very long time. I found after 3 months of on schedule treatment ( decreasing frequency over the 2nd month) that my horse really didnt need a lot of maintanance.

I use the gel for long term maintanance during the winter. My horse lives out 24/7 and I have never had one with such great feet.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
    does anyone know what's in it?

i think it's a cheap chemical - is it formadahyde?
    does it work by hardening the hoof?

i know it's not the same idea, but i use aqueous cream on my horses tootsies, human stuff.
    it's cheap and moisturising.
    Yes, Alexie, it is a formaldehyde formulation. My understanding, in a nutshell, is that the formalin the formaldehyde helps to strengthen the chemical bonds in the keratin of the hoof wall, resulting in harder, less "crumbly" hooves. (Any real chemists out there, pardon my grossly over-simplified explanation, please! ) I use it mostly when the weather is wet, as it seems to have great performance in mitigating the effects of soggy pasture on my mares' feet. I use it much less when we have a dry spell, and at these times, may also use a moisturizing product, similar to your approach.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Agree with coloredhorse. The US-made product Crossapol is very similar to Keratex... "Crossapol" is short for "cross-linked aldehyde polymer." As described to me by my farrier, both products cause layers of cell membranes of the keratin hoof wall to fuse, creating a stronger, thicker wall. It won't create miracles, but regular use DOES make a difference, particularly preventing cracking/chipping around the nail holes.

Crossapol is a little cheaper; comes in a smaller bottle with a sponge dauber top, but less liquid per bottle. Keratex is a bit more expensive, more per bottle (and per ounce). I don't notice a difference in performance of one vs the other; I use whatever I happen to find at whatever tack store I happen to visit. Some places carry only one or the other. A bottle of Crossapol lasts about 3 months, Keratex goes 3-4 weeks longer. With DAILY use!!

Personally, I hate the Crossapol dauber top. It snags on clinches/chips, and usually falls off before the bottle is empty. I keep an old bottle of Keratex, and pour more Crossapol in as needed. I duct tape an empty 10cc syringe case to the side of the bottle to store the applicator brush. I dip straight from the bottle, no "pouring into the cap" nonsense!
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

For what it's worth, I will never use keratex on my horses hooves again. Dried them out and made them look like shriveled dried rinds. Then they cracked from being too dry. (I used it on the advice on my vet. sheesh)
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    For what it's worth, I will never use keratex on my horses hooves again. Dried them out and made them look like shriveled dried rinds. Then they cracked from being too dry. (I used it on the advice on my vet. sheesh)

Gosh, then why didn't you stop using it before they became "shriveled dried rinds"? I will say that, at one point, my farrier made a comment about how hard said horsie's feet were so I just backed off. It did the job, and during the dry time of the year, I didn't have to use it AT ALL. In fact, I went to using a bit of Corona around the coronary band to moisturize. I think that with any product if you don't keep an eye on the progress or change you can have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post

My guess would be your horse didn't need the product then or it was overused. I wouldn't blame this issue on the product itself.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Gosh, then why didn't you stop using it before they became "shriveled dried rinds"?
    Because it happened in less than 2 weeks. All of a sudden, one day the hooves looked awful. I stopped using it immediately. It was too late.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x