The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default At What Age Do You Geld?

Just wondering what the average age is in general that gelding is done?

I have always felt that you should give them a year or so to fill into themselves but I have also heard of people actually gelding them while they are still nursing

I just can't imagine doing it so young. We have just gelded a bunch of ours as two year olds and another on as a three year old.

I have also been told that you should let their hormones kick start the growth and muscular tones and have had conversations that completely differ that opinion altogether.

www.flyingcoloursfarms.com
    www.pennylanefarms.com
    Penny Lane Farms

Breeders of coloured and dilute Thoroughbreds and Warmblood crosses

http://www.pennylanefarms.com

I like to geld while still nursing if the weather is cool enough. The younger they are the better they seem to heal. Mine have developed plenty of muscle despite young castration.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

As early as possible; generally before weaning. Gelding very early usually results in a slightly taller horse, and waiting longer ( a few years) will give you more of those stallion like characteristics that some people like, i.e. more muscle, bigger neck, etc.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Gelding early is much easier on the horse. As YL stated, it is thought to add height. We geld as soon as it gets cold, which in FL means December or January after they foaled — usually 8 months to a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Gelding early is much easier on the horse. As YL stated, it is thought to add height. We geld as soon as it gets cold, which in FL means December or January after they foaled — usually 8 months to a year old.
    We do the same thing, when it's cold and insect activity is minimal. We also have their wolf teeth removed at the same time (as necessary).

I usually geld 4 weeks before weaning or 4 weeks after.

I'm curious though and not to get too far off topic but I have the first teeth float and wolf teeth removed at 2 years. I didn't know you could remove the wolf teeth earlier?
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

ASAP!!!
    ~*Adult Pony Rider Clique*~
    www.timberrunponies.com

Quote Originally Posted by misita View Post
    I usually geld 4 weeks before weaning or 4 weeks after.

I'm curious though and not to get too far off topic but I have the first teeth float and wolf teeth removed at 2 years. I didn't know you could remove the wolf teeth earlier?
    You can remove wolf teeth anytime, and if they are present at gelding time it is very convenient to do it then.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Completely depends on the horse, incentive and climate. If the concept is to get maximum height (maybe because the future rider needs a bigger horse) I'd geld asap (provided weather is good for it). If horse is overly laidback and/or lacking expression I would withhold until it gets the benefit of some testosterone. If foal looks to grow huge I wait until after 2.5yrs to avoid extra cm.
    If none of the above is of consideration I'd like to have it over with by 1.5yrs at latest because it's true the sooner the easier. Smaller organs to remove, smaller cut, less anesthetic required for general anesthesia. I wouldn't geld short after weaning though as this is about the worst possible time immuno-defense-wise (maternal antibodies sinking low rapidly but foals own antibodies lacking in quantity and 'experience' to protect them from ubiquitar germs flying around and attacking them in a stressful time...