The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Should I use a running martingale?

I just started and my trainer told me always to use a running martingale. What do you think? and what do running martingales do?
    thank you!!
    Last edited by Fanfara; Jul. 3, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Its called a running martingale. You can look it up to get the idea of what it looks like, but it attaches to the girth and goes around the horse's neck and two rings come off of it and the reins go through, so if the horse lifts his head up he feels more pressure on the bit pulling his head down. I am not a huge fan, but I would talk to your trainer more about it, maybe she can offer you reasons why a running martingale would be useful in your particular situation.

TIP: If you can't even spell the piece of tack's name correctly.. chances are you shouldn't use it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    TIP: If you can't even spell the piece of tack's name correctly.. chances are you shouldn't use it.
    Hey now, have a little empathy, you were a beginner too once. Be kind so folks are not afraid to ask for advice and information.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    sorry, but the spelling does not really matter!
    Last edited by Fanfara; Jul. 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Rider has a trainer. Trainer recommends. Who are we to second guess.

Yes, we were all new to this at one point in our lives and no question is a dumb question.

Fanfara, my advice would be for you to ask your trainer why he/she recommends a running martingale for your horse.

My horse wears one for jumping as he tends to lift his head so high he can knock your teeth out with his head! But seriously, it helps control him because he can't evade the bit by tossing his head way up.

If adjusted correctly, a running martingale should not have any effect until you NEED it -- ie, when the horse throws his head around or raises it to a dangerous level. I remember Jimmy Wofford saying that the middle of a course is a bad place to find you need a martingale.

On the other hand, if you need one for ALL work, including the flat, in order to bring the horse's head down "in a frame," you're not using it correctly and have other issues to address.

That said, I'm pretty sure there's a reason you are paying your trainer money, so why not ask them about the purpose and function of the gear that they are recommending?
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    They're not just for racing!
    nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com