The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2009
    Location
    Eastern Ontario, CND
    Posts
    2,191

    Default Manure Mushrooms

    I've seen these little buggers growing all over muck-piles & now they are invading my vegetable garden (which was planted in a mixture of year-old horse manure and dirt). Does anyone know what they are, or if they are poisonous?

    http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=mushroom.jpg

    Thanks
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 29, 2008
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    I don't know what those are, but they do look similar to what grows in my pastures. Mine are not as brown, though. They are sort of off-white, but eventually do turn brown as they start to break down.


    I have been told by a knowledgeable friend that I had the "fun" kind of mushrooms growing in my pasture. News to me, since I thought they only grew in cow pastures. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have been too chicken to partake.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Default

    Some mushrooms growing in manure are poisonous, never eat anything that grows in rings and some are psilocybin, the kind that expand your mind, and the kind that Alice ate in "Alice in Wonderland." Lewis Carroll obviously knew about psilocybin "magic" mushrooms.

    There are only 4 or 5 mushrooms which are perfectly safe to eat in the wild, so it's not worth the chance of getting the kind that will destroy your liver and kill you, to pick them in the wild. I have an old mushroom book I bought when I lived in St Louis.

    I once asked a farmer at Soulard Market in St Louis, where my boyfriend and I bought "wild mushrooms" from him on Saturdays, how he the farmer knew that the mushrooms were "safe" to eat. He said that none of his customers had died yet.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2009
    Location
    Eastern Ontario, CND
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    There are quite off-white/tan when the come in as well, this one was a more mature mushroom.

    I hope that's not what they are, growing in with my vegetables!! Although we do back on to a cow pasture...

    I don't want to eat these, I hate mushrooms, I'm just worried my 15 month old won't feel the same way
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    There are quite off-white/tan when the come in as well, this one was a more mature mushroom.

    I hope that's not what they are, growing in with my vegetables!! Although we do back on to a cow pasture...
    google psilocybin mushrooms. You will see good pictures. If you find guys with long hair and tie dyed shirts in your garden, then you have magic mushrooms.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2009
    Location
    Eastern Ontario, CND
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Sorry to disappoint guys, but they don't have the required bumps on the stem.

    Too bad! I could use some good scarecrows! .

    Man that would be funny if the cows got into the mushrooms though...

    EDIT:

    OMG I found the correct variety that's exactly what they are

    http://seshdotcom.files.wordpress.co...azurescens.jpg

    Does anyone know how to destroy them and not have them reseed? I really can't have these in my backyard with the little man running around
    Last edited by Nes; Jul. 6, 2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: EDIT - found more pictures, still looking
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 29, 2008
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    wait, they're poisonous or fun?



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2009
    Location
    Eastern Ontario, CND
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Well I'm not doing a taste-test!!!

    Yes they look like they are the "fun" variety of mushrooms.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 29, 2008
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Haha, I'm too scared to do a taste test either! My friend knows his stuff, but I just couldn't trust him even though I know he knew what he was looking at. I can't eat them anyway, I'm totally grossed out by mushrooms. Even the food kind.

    And to think, they even grow in my stalls when I don't clean them. I ought to charge admission!

    What my friend did was remove the cap and walk around and tap the top of it, so all the little spores would fall out of the bottom (vented part) into piles of poop. So picking them or knocking them over or smashing them would probably just release more spores. I don't know how you'd actually get rid of them.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2009
    Posts
    2,108

    Default

    Hire a bunch of hippies to keep the yard picked? They'd probably do it for free!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2009
    Location
    Eastern Ontario, CND
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    So picking them or knocking them over or smashing them would probably just release more spores.
    Which is, unfortunately, what I already did this morning I was going at the garden with the hoe to get the weeds and took as many mushrooms out as I could.

    I'm sure I know a few people who would be interested in coming and picking them for me, but I fear the police would see it as trafficking...
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 31, 2004
    Posts
    4,768

    Default

    I live in the mushroom capital of the world and I'm glad I have all the variety I want handy and fresh. Not taking any chances with wild ones. But my Mother in Law in Italy used to go pick wild mushrooms all the time and I'm sure they are great. I know I would pick the wrong ones. It's just not worth it.

    Just like my horses now have the dribbles because they ate the wrong grasses, lol. We've had a lot of rain and it's only July and my field has the fungus that causes dribbles and drools. I think the only thing that might kill it off is a heat wave and I dread that.



Similar Threads

  1. Edible Mushrooms Grown on Horse Manure
    By ThisTooShallPass in forum Off Course
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: Feb. 17, 2013, 11:00 PM
  2. doggy eating mushrooms?
    By Hampton Bay in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul. 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun. 1, 2012, 12:07 PM
  4. Spinoff: What mushrooms can I eat and which ones will kill me?
    By OveroHunter in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May. 18, 2011, 11:57 AM
  5. Please watch out for mushrooms in your pastures
    By seramisu in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug. 17, 2009, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •