The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Manure Mushrooms

I've seen these little buggers growing all over muck-piles & now they are invading my vegetable garden (which was planted in a mixture of year-old horse manure and dirt). Does anyone know what they are, or if they are poisonous?

http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=mushroom.jpg

Thanks
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I don't know what those are, but they do look similar to what grows in my pastures. Mine are not as brown, though. They are sort of off-white, but eventually do turn brown as they start to break down.

I have been told by a knowledgeable friend that I had the "fun" kind of mushrooms growing in my pasture. News to me, since I thought they only grew in cow pastures. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have been too chicken to partake.

Some mushrooms growing in manure are poisonous, never eat anything that grows in rings and some are psilocybin, the kind that expand your mind, and the kind that Alice ate in "Alice in Wonderland." Lewis Carroll obviously knew about psilocybin "magic" mushrooms.

There are only 4 or 5 mushrooms which are perfectly safe to eat in the wild, so it's not worth the chance of getting the kind that will destroy your liver and kill you, to pick them in the wild. I have an old mushroom book I bought when I lived in St Louis.

I once asked a farmer at Soulard Market in St Louis, where my boyfriend and I bought "wild mushrooms" from him on Saturdays, how he the farmer knew that the mushrooms were "safe" to eat. He said that none of his customers had died yet.

There are quite off-white/tan when the come in as well, this one was a more mature mushroom.

I hope that's not what they are, growing in with my vegetables!! Although we do back on to a cow pasture...

I don't want to eat these, I hate mushrooms, I'm just worried my 15 month old won't feel the same way
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    There are quite off-white/tan when the come in as well, this one was a more mature mushroom.

I hope that's not what they are, growing in with my vegetables!! Although we do back on to a cow pasture...
    google psilocybin mushrooms. You will see good pictures. If you find guys with long hair and tie dyed shirts in your garden, then you have magic mushrooms.

Sorry to disappoint guys, but they don't have the required bumps on the stem.

Too bad! I could use some good scarecrows! .

Man that would be funny if the cows got into the mushrooms though...

EDIT:

OMG I found the correct variety that's exactly what they are

http://seshdotcom.files.wordpress.co...azurescens.jpg

Does anyone know how to destroy them and not have them reseed? I really can't have these in my backyard with the little man running around
    Last edited by Nes; Jul. 6, 2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: EDIT - found more pictures, still looking
    Need You Now Equine

wait, they're poisonous or fun?

Well I'm not doing a taste-test!!!

Yes they look like they are the "fun" variety of mushrooms.
    Need You Now Equine

Haha, I'm too scared to do a taste test either! My friend knows his stuff, but I just couldn't trust him even though I know he knew what he was looking at. I can't eat them anyway, I'm totally grossed out by mushrooms. Even the food kind.

And to think, they even grow in my stalls when I don't clean them. I ought to charge admission!

What my friend did was remove the cap and walk around and tap the top of it, so all the little spores would fall out of the bottom (vented part) into piles of poop. So picking them or knocking them over or smashing them would probably just release more spores. I don't know how you'd actually get rid of them.

Hire a bunch of hippies to keep the yard picked? They'd probably do it for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    So picking them or knocking them over or smashing them would probably just release more spores.
    Which is, unfortunately, what I already did this morning I was going at the garden with the hoe to get the weeds and took as many mushrooms out as I could.

I'm sure I know a few people who would be interested in coming and picking them for me, but I fear the police would see it as trafficking...
    Need You Now Equine

I live in the mushroom capital of the world and I'm glad I have all the variety I want handy and fresh. Not taking any chances with wild ones. But my Mother in Law in Italy used to go pick wild mushrooms all the time and I'm sure they are great. I know I would pick the wrong ones. It's just not worth it.

Just like my horses now have the dribbles because they ate the wrong grasses, lol. We've had a lot of rain and it's only July and my field has the fungus that causes dribbles and drools. I think the only thing that might kill it off is a heat wave and I dread that.