The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy What is with my geldings tonight???

I don't get them, they are acting like wild stallions. I yelled at my bossy young gelding Orion and told him to knock it off, and I told both of them to knock it off and they stopped for a short while. They, Orion and Leo were doing the stallion type fighting and they weren't happy. It was less play and more a dominance battle. The problem is Orion, who is boss arrived while Leo was living away, then he returned and even the bottom horse Teddy chased him I guess to protect my old guy (late) Nomad, not realizing it used to be Leo's job. So now Orion and Leo are always at odds except they do share dinner, same dish and peacefully as long as they eat outside and not in the barn on a rainy day. Leo has tried to cooperate and not start trouble but that's not good enough for Orion. Orion has to harass him and tonigh Leo did kick Orion in the chest. Leo is about 16-1700 lbs and Orion only about 900 lbs. You would think Leo would just finish him off but he's a peaceful guy who doesn't like to be pushed around by some young pipsqueak hot shot.

Usually they are ok, not great but they can even play. Not tonight though. I'm just wondering is some mare is flashing her scent in the air tonight, because that's how they are acting. They can be so possessive over girls.

I don't have the facilities to separate them. if the neighbor is breeding his TBs they may be reacting to that. What do you all think is going on? I'm pretty sure it will pass but hope no one gets injured before it's over. I expect this will happen at least annually. I'm surrounded by racehorse breeding and training farms. Maybe I should sell my farm and move!

Racehorse farms should pretty much be done breeding for the year, I would think. June babies are not really desirable. Sometimes the horses just get on a wild tear... and Orion pretty much was a wild stallion for the first couple years of his life, wasn't he?

Have they settled down yet or are they still acting studish?
    Whoever said that money cannot buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse.

Are neighbors already setting off fireworks? That will stir them up.

Orion was cut at 5 years old and Leo was cut before I got him which was 4 years old.

I'm just trying to find an explanation of this unusual behavior, they make me nervous. I'm thinking of putting Orion in another pasture but I don't have a good shed there and he might jump the fence anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Racehorse farms should pretty much be done breeding for the year, I would think. June babies are not really desirable. Sometimes the horses just get on a wild tear... and Orion pretty much was a wild stallion for the first couple years of his life, wasn't he?

I haven't gone back yet, I go once a day, haven't built a house there yet so it's a short drive. They are fat on once a day feedings and grass. In the winter I have them on unlimited hay and they are ok with that, big bales in their shed.

During the summer they are on about 5 acres of not so hot pasture, very weedy and they are still fat. I like them to have a lot of movement in their pasture but not such a rich pasture anyway so I don't so much mind all the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambucca View Post
    Have they settled down yet or are they still acting studish?

Oh my gosh YES! The neighbor right next to my pasture sets of a huge fireworks display, it makes me crazy and none of the other neighbors mind, all have horses but they aren't having the massive display along side their horse pasture. They probably realize it's that time of year again. The first year Orion came they had an almost professional display. Apparently the owner of the property is a licensed professional for handling fireworks. Not sure what that would be, but fireworks have never been legal for amateurs in PA until now so that first year I saw it, I went looking for his driveway and there was tons of traffic coming from this little driveway after the fireworks display. There must have been easily 50 cars leaving and this is rural Chester County and surrounded by Thoroughbred breeding and training farms and Fair Hill so lots of open space and horses. Not exactly where you should set off fireworks either.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Are neighbors already setting off fireworks? That will stir them up.

I guess they finally got tired, tonight they were quiet as usual, no wild stallion act.