The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What is wrong with some rescue orgs???

Isn't the point to find new homes as quickly as possible to enable them to save another poor soul???

I have filled out a very lengthy application and sent 3 follow up e-mails in the last 2 weeks to a rescue org in my province. Not a single reply. Dog is still listed as needing a home on petfinder.com. I have asked if they need further references, want a phone interview, home visit, personal visit with the dog... Not a single reply?!?!?!

I am a dream come true for a dog that needs a home. I meet all of the usual criteria....big fenced yard, no kids, can take dog to work with me, have a very active lifestyle, vet references up the wahoo, breed experience, stability... All but one of my dogs have been rescues. Am I missing something???

They request no phone calls and I have respected that. I understand they are not a huge organization and have real jobs and families but isn't two weeks a pretty fair amount of time to reply to an e-mail??? I am getting pissed off now. Am I the impatient jerk or does this seem a bit ridiculous?
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Some rescues are simply not very good at doing anything more than taking in animals and smaller groups often lack any strong organizational structure that allows you to reach people efficiently and promptly. It may very well be that your communications are going to a specific person whom you are forced to rely on in order to initiate the process. That's how it works with nearly every rescue I've worked with. If they have adoption events, that is the best place to get someone's attention when you are interested in an animal.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

There is a dog rescue here that gets their lion's share of local donations, are very, very good at marketing themselves.
    They like their dogs and have so many, are always full, but don't like to give them up, so rarely can take new ones in.

In a way, at times, I feel that the lady running it loves to keep a kennel and is doing it with rescues and donations for them and feeling so good about it, rather than running a boarding or breeding kennel.

Sure, she "helps" all those 60 dogs in her care, that she cares for very well, but still, they are just warehoused in there.
    I have seen that with horse rescues also.
    Who knows what is good or bad in rescuing?
    Some are hard to get a dog from, others maybe too easy, like the animal control shelter I help with, because when you have only three days for a dog to be adopted, sometimes that makes you gamble a little bit more that the adoption will work out.
    I sure don't know what is best and would not want to have to say who is right.

If you really are interested in that dog, no matter why they are not answering, I would be patient and keep at them.
    This being a long holiday summer vacation, maybe everyone there had other to do than tend to their applications?

I've had that happen to me as well... no follow up from the rescue. Keep at it though, because mostly they are volunteers with jobs and getting back to the hundreds of daily requests they get is time consuming.

I did adopt two lovely, mixed breed dogs in November from www.helpsaveone.org
    This rescue is amazing, I can't say enough positive things about them. Where are you located? They can get dogs transported up and down the east coast.

Many "rescue" organziations are run by, well, nut jobs. They are, to use some R. Lee Ermyisms, "disorganzed and grabasstic." They also frequently have completely unrealistic standards, practices, and protocols.

One of my collegues (a local prosecuting attorney) got a dog from the Knoxville shelter. She likened it to "adopting a child, but worse." She also used to do Family Law, including adoptions. They made it very diffifult for her and she stuck it out just so "the bastards wouldn't win." In Knox Co. where she lives, for the last three years, they have put down an average of 12,500 small animals per year.

Go figure that one.

Our county is not quite as bad, but close. I've tried to get barn cats and have been refused because we didn't have fenced yard (a perimeter fence around 100 acres didn't count) and that the cats would have to work for a living (vice eating high dollar cat food out of silver goblets). We also kill well over a thousand small animals per year.

Doing some research I find that these practices are, in fact, quite widespread. Their irrationality has lead me to withhold any support from any rescue/humane organization unless they demonstrate to me some sort of rationality in finding homes for unwanted animals.

Note that I did five years as the VP (and Large Animal Committee) of our local humane society back in the '90s; and I still didn't quality.

Some will complain that I'm painting with a "broad brush" but some quick research will show that I'm speaking gospel truth about the issue. It truly rates an SUX, but there it is.

G.

I thought it was just me!
    This is every experience I've had with dog rescue organization.
    To the point that when I go to get another dog, instead of adopting the breed that I currently have, I will probably go to a breeder and BUY one!!!
    They would rather have the 100+ lb dog live in a crate in an apartment than on a 500 acre farm. And not just some "backwoods" farm, but a farm where we do everything to protect the land, animals, wildlife, fresh water,etc. They wouldn't even come out to see what life this dog was going to be missing!

It's a sad state of affairs. CompAnimals http://companimals.org/ is run by a sensible (if a sensible person would run a rescue) but probably sends animals close enough where she can get them back if necessary. I think you might try to connect with them actually her. There are some great Greyhound rescues too if you wanted a Greyhound.

I'm so sad to hear that you are having problems with rescues but please don't give up, the dogs need your help despite this bad treatment from humans.

I'm sorry there is a delay.

Many times as other have said, these rescues are all volunteer and have too much to do with too few people. I hope you will hear soon and be able to adopt.

It seems dog and cat rescues are particularly bad about that (although some horse rescues are, too).

I know sometimes we all get behind - our group is primarily volunteer-run, and the volunteers sometimes get behind. But we do our best to respond to adopters quickly. And if we get behind, I apologize up and down and ask for forgiveness for being behind!

I had an awful experience with a dog rescue. They got back to me quickly, told me they wanted me to have the dog, then started pressuring me to take two. I didn't really want two but agreed if they would discount the adoption on the second. Suddenly I couldn't have the dog I wanted because they found "a better home", but I could have the one they were trying to push off on me. I said no, walked away, and won't deal with them again.

The dog rescues I applied with all had longer, more in-depth applications than we do for the horse rescue. And they're more likely to just follow whatever whim hits them that day. For us, if you have your application in first, you are first in line - we don't pick and choose. And we try very, very hard not to turn anyone down.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Please consider contacting Companimals first http://companimals.org/ at companimals@earthlink.net and see if she can't help you with one of her dogs, she really does a great job saving death row dogs. If she doesn't have what you want she may help you locate one. She is very dedicated and always calls me back. I brought her a Rottie X pup that someone handed me in a shopping center parking lot and the next day she accepted her into her rescue. Before she got past a few vaccines a woman walked in that was preapproved and she walked out the door with her. She works really hard on helping dogs, cats, mice or anything that needs a home, she helps them as much as possible. She's in Chester County, PA close to DE and MD so VA isn't that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    I thought it was just me!
    This is every experience I've had with dog rescue organization.
    To the point that when I go to get another dog, instead of adopting the breed that I currently have, I will probably go to a breeder and BUY one!!!
    They would rather have the 100+ lb dog live in a crate in an apartment than on a 500 acre farm. And not just some "backwoods" farm, but a farm where we do everything to protect the land, animals, wildlife, fresh water,etc. They wouldn't even come out to see what life this dog was going to be missing!

Four years ago, I filled out an application to adopt a Lab with Ontario Lab Rescue. I thought I had plenty of time since I wanted a younger lab but not a puppy.... ha! I had a dog within 2 weeks... the rescue was prompt, efficient. She did the reference checks, brought the dog. I had to write a cheque to the vet that had neutered the dog, but I had a week to decide if I wanted to keep the dog or not. Then they would cash the cheque.

I have been in touch with the single operator of the rescue lately since she was mentioned on a transport list I received. And of course, I have the most wonderful lab!!

I have had such amazing luck with the rescues that I have delt with thus far I guess this is as much a shock to me as anything. I have only had Dobes for years and have a wonderful one right now from Second Chance Dobes in Clinton Michigan. I have adopted two from them now and they are amazing!

The current Dobe (Ike) loves other dogs and does very well with female Terriers at the dog park. So, I have been looking for one to adopt. I found what appers to be the perfect dog. She is a German Hunt Terrier, 2 years old and has already been through a few homes. I grew up with a Wire Haired Fox Terrier so I am well versed with the challenges a Terrier can present. I managed to keep that little terrorist alive for 19 years despite his best efforts to suicide so I think I am qualified to own another!! I also had Dobes back then and the Dobe/Terrier dynamic works very well.

I just keep wondering what on earth could be an issue with the home/life (of Reilly) that I have to offer??? Even if there is an issue that is leaving them thinking that I am not the right home why wouldn't I be informed? I am starting to feel like a crazed stalker by sending 4 e-mail in two weeks!

It is sad to hear how common this is. The website says they only foster and have no kennel. It also says that they desperately need food, supplies... They have some cats they have had for over 4 years!!! Here I am actively pursuing a dog that might be a tough one to re-home and they can't even be bothered to respond!?!?!

Trying to be patient but I don't take this lightly. I am picky about the dogs I adopt. I need them to be a good fit which is as important for their happiness as it is for the rest of the family. When I find one that I think is the right one I want to proceed and find out. My dogs really do live a wonderful life....I am fun to dogs! They get to go boating, to horse shows, to barns, hiking in the woods, to two cottages (one which is on an island so they can't get into ANY trouble), I provide the best food, vets....that money can buy. Just seems awfully unfair that this little dog may miss out on all of that because someone can't be bothered to reply to a friggin' e-mail.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Default E-mail

Part of my job is e-mail administration. There are so many ways e-mail can fail, out there in cyberspace, at the local gateway, at the individual's PC. Then there is spam, which can clutter up or automatically delete legitimate mail. Small organizations usually don't have the funds to purchase sophisticated software that does filtering and eliminates viruses.
    Then there is the human element, people who may do a great job at their job but are not comfortable with technology, or don't check it that often.
    So, before giving up on the organization consider that there may be a slip-up in the communication first.

If you are set on this adoption or organization and it's close enough would you consider visiting them in person?

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Part of my job is e-mail administration. There are so many ways e-mail can fail, out there in cyberspace, at the local gateway, at the individual's PC. Then there is spam, which can clutter up or automatically delete legitimate mail. Small organizations usually don't have the funds to purchase sophisticated software that does filtering and eliminates viruses.
    Then there is the human element, people who may do a great job at their job but are not comfortable with technology, or don't check it that often.
    So, before giving up on the organization consider that there may be a slip-up in the communication first.

If you are set on this adoption or organization and it's close enough would you consider visiting them in person?
    Define close I live in Toronto. The rescue is about 3 1/2 hours away. No problem. My last two have come from Detroit and Chicago. I have already offered (via 1 of 4 e-mail) to drive there, with my current dog, to meet with them. Now, if they aren't getting my e-mail it is sort of a moot point. I did send 2 e-mail from another address just in case I was getting sent to junk mail.

I haven't said I was giving up...takes a lot for that to happen. In fact I am more bent and determined than ever now!! Just venting and wondering if I am being unfair or if this is common. Sounds like it is all too common.

I am reminded of someone I know who told me some years back she tried to adopt a horse from a local rescue and they turned her down because she had high tensile fencing. Never mind that at the time the rescue in question was on a tiny plot of land with too many horses for the space and the lady in question would have been a good home.

The funny part is that the rescue now is at a different spot and more than a bit of their fencing? Is high tensile wire.

All that said, the best dog I've ever had (and probably ever will have had *sigh*) I got from the SPCA. They had a not-too-invasive application and while they say they'll do home visits, they didn't with me (may have been because I had been volunteering there for a couple of months by then) though I did still have to wait a few days before they let me just bring him home.

Default Research your rescue orgs

I spend a good amount of time volunteering with a breed rescue, and as much as I am embarrassed to say, sometimes applicants slip through the cracks. Our rescue is 100%volunteers and not one of us is ever upset by a polite reminder email (or more than 1), "I would really like to adopt from you, please respond with the status of my application" or something to that effect. So if you are really set on this dog, just keep trying to get in touch with them.

That being said, there are a lot of so-called rescues out there that are not worth dealing with. They are so outrageous in their placement demands that it is next to impossible to get them to place an animal. In my experience, the good rescues that are focused on finding forever homes for dogs have a good record of reasonably timed adoptions (they don't hold dogs for years), have made the effort to declare themselves non-profit w/ 501(c)3 status, and will always let you know where you stand regarding adopting an animal.

Good luck adding to your canine family, I hope you find the perfect dog!!!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Default My luck

I've had good luck with both ARPH (Aussie Rescue and Placement Helpline) and ReRun. I did chuckle a while back though. I was reading the policies of a cat rescue. They absolutely will not adopt a cat out to a home that has a dog. Now I understand carefully screening a house with a dog but not a complete ban. I wanted to send them my photo of the cat in the dog house while the two dogs sat on either side of it.

http://web.centre.edu/dajones/pages/cats%20rule%21.htm

Or maybe this one:

http://web.centre.edu/dajones/pages/Maia%20%26%20El.htm

or: http://web.centre.edu/dajones/kitty%...ages/group.htm

Needless to say, I won't be in touch with that organization.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Craigslist takes quite a knock on BB sites, but it worked great in getting us connected with a good cat. You have to spend some time on it, learning to sift the good from the BS, but you can really end up with a good animal that way, without dealing with crazy rescue garbage.

With the economy as it is, there are plenty of dogs and cats being rehomed ahead of forecosure, or 'found' after being dumped, and many folks simply would rather try to rehome off of CL than leave the animal tied up in a rescue for a long period of time. It worked quite well in our case.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Many "rescue" organziations are run by, well, nut jobs. They are, to use some R. Lee Ermyisms, "disorganzed and grabasstic." They also frequently have completely unrealistic standards, practices, and protocols.... Their irrationality has lead me to withhold any support from any rescue/humane organization unless they demonstrate to me some sort of rationality in finding homes for unwanted animals.
    The first point is sadly true, and the second point is something I agree very strongly with. It ultimately doesn't matter if the rescue with the bad customer service takes supercalifragalistic care of the animals it is holding; what matters is the big picture. People who get burned badly at a rescue (or shelter) are more likely to be wary of second-hand pets and go to the nearest pet store where all they need is 10 minutes and a credit card. Bad rescues and shelters need to be outed and ended; they do more damage than their proprietors seem to realize.

Although - in the defense of some shelters/rescues, many people do blow things out of proportion. I get my dogs from a large private shelter which has a good screening process - not deranged, just some basic questions re: fencing and vet care and the like, and an interview about your experience and vet references, and a yard check for fencing, which I've always passed despite not having very good fencing - and I know several people who found it too intrusive and went elsewhere. So sometimes it's not the rescue/shelter, but a person with an outsized resentment at being questioned. Not directed at OP at all, obviously, as the poor woman can't even get the rescue to call her back, let alone grill her.

Have done a little more investigating by looking at some of their other listings....getting concerned...

Please do not apply, if: 1) You are expecting to adopt an animal in less then 24 hours, 2) You are not willing to complete the adoption application (this is how we assess if a viewing is scheduled), 3) You do not want drive to this area for a viewing and/or adoption (I do not have a shelter for ALL of these animals - some are in foster homes, so I also drive somewhere to meet you as well. SO when you stand me up - you are not only forcing the animals to be delayed in being adopted to decent permanent homes, but also postponing other sincere applicants from meeting the animal, AS WELL AS wasting my and the animals and foster parents time, and our money by having us spend time and long distance charges online processing your application and driving somewhere, all for nothing) 4) If you have multiple applications out as it is very unfair to waste the animal’s and volunteer’s time by applying and promising to come and then canceling or no showing at the last minute because you got a animal “CLOSER” to where you live - there is a map on our home page so consider the drive before you apply – WE APPRECIATE YOU LETTING US PUT OUR TIME AND SPARSE RESOURCES TO THEIR BEST USE If you are willing to follow our adoption procedure, please apply at the adoption page by completing the application online at www.XXXXXXXXX.XX - please fill this out before calling us – as I have very little time to return phone calls, but can return emails at any time of the day