The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can we have a "some days I wish I lived in town and full boarded my horse" thred?

Yes, sometimes its wonderful living on a farm and having my horses in my front yard. But some days I wish I lived in a town house without a yard and paid someone else to take care of the horses.
    The black snake in my ceiling, the skunk that keeps finding my dogs, the fence that need repairing, hay that needs to be unloaded/stacked, and the list never ends and is never completed.

The constant power outages for no explicable reason (another last night, in fact), the no wireless, the no cable, the DSL and phone that only work half of every month b/c our county is SO far out and SO impoverished that even AT&T can't be bothered to service here and we're all stuck with the worst telecom company in the world....
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I'll admit it, I hate fence maintenance. Has got to be my least favorite chore.

We don't have too many problems with critters, though. Somehow we ended up with a resident fox, and he seems to be taking care of the small creatures around the barn. He's kinda cool, we never get near him, but we've been seeing him regularly for a couple years now. The downside is that he likes to make territorial noises right outside the house in the middle of the night. I had no idea foxes could be so loud

Oh, I forgot to mention the giant snapping turtle that occasionally visits Q's paddock and the recent night when I walked down the driveway and saw him in there and a young rattlesnake on the adjacent driveway... I couldn't help thinking what if Q got bitten by BOTH in the same night, that'd sure be an interesting one to try and explain to the insurance company!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Let's see: the WORST job is putting up hay, which is always ready when its 90 degrees and humid (have to get it done before the rain!) Second worse is picking manure out of the fields. Endless mowing/weedeating outside of pastures, scrubbing/filling waterers and buckets, spreading sand/fill seasonally, cleaning cobwebs/dirt in barn and stalls, dragging the riding arenas, checking fencing...what the hell are we doing????

I usually only want to move in the winter when I have to crawl to the barn because the driveway in front of the barn is a sheet of ice and when I'm taking my life into my own hands as I climb metal gates that are coated in ice hoping that I won't slip sideways, land on my head and die of exposure before anyone realizes that I didn't make it to work.

The summer is easy in comparison. I have my hay delivered and stacked. I don't worry about the cobwebs until fall, the stalls are easier to clean because the horses are out on pasture and with only two, I let the "fertilzer" fall where it may...

NO WAY!!! Today is hay day. Going to be near 100 plus humidity, but it will all be over and when I am done I will sit on my little boat in my pond with a fishing pole and a wine cooler and be happy that I still get to work outside.

I LOVE all the critters except the snakes....but they seem to keep their distance and I keep stuff cleaned up. The mowing is endless, but when I look out and see trees and grass and not my nieghbor - it makes me happy!

Me and my horses have never been happier and healthier. In fact, we all work hard but I am still fat! How does that happen????? At least my hair is shiny!

+ poo-picking pastures, the daily mucking of stalls, the tractor that needs maintenance, the pastures needed de-weeding, overseeding/fertilizing in spring, the muckheap keeps growing on me & farmer not been to take it away ....

Yes, I'd love to go back to boarding to have no more chores, but I've boarded many times and never ever was I happy, I was always complaining, no separate turnout for mine, not enough bedding, not enough hay, the hay couldn't be soaked for 3 hours, they forget the blanket change in the morning & now it's pouring, they weren't brought in during the storm, the footing in the ring might be perfect for others, but too hard for my critters, I had no access after 8pm, then there was the closing day, they didn't like me hanging around the barn for more then half a day, they didn't feed the special diet I so wanted the boysies on, the pastures had no run-in, people were watching/critizing my riding .... the list was endless too.

At home or boarding neither one seems to be right for me....... maybe I should get out of horses all together .

No, in reality I MUCH prefer boys at home, wouldn't want it any other way, however a few members of staff would be sooooooooooo welcome .

The winter mornings when you wake up to the sound of pouring rain - cold, wet and damp with extra work is not the way to start the day!

For the most part I love (or atleast tolerate) all of the critters and the chores (do my best thinking while mowing/bushhogging), but the people you have to deal with in the course of a day can drive me up a wall!

Default HA HA HA HA!

I had one of those mornings this am!
    Rained it's butt off last evening, thank goodness after getting up 300 bales out of field!
    We actually live in the barn/cabin...so endless supply of horse POOP, flies, critters! You can NOT get away! I actually made hubby take me out to breakfast after getting dewormer all over me and the horses (don't think any got in them)this morning, spraying the hose in my own face and all the muck from the rain last night...but it is gorgeous now!
    And I wouldn't trade an evening bareback ride off my porch for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik
    Rained it's butt off last evening
    Didn't it just..... what a horrible storm we had. It came down from heaven by troughloads here....

HA! I grew up on a horse farm and now my husband and I are about to move on our brand new farm. I'm not going to let him read this thread because he doesn't know what he is in for yet. I'm sure I'll be on this thread soon after one of those mornings when all goes wrong and I'm late for a meeting at the office (which will be 40 minutes away instead of 20 minutes). But at this time, I can NOT wait to be out there.

Hang in there and think how lucky we are to be able to have horses and see them out of our own windows.

Default not often but...

The ratty looking fields that I'm at my neighbors mercy for bush hogging (and he won't let me pay him). Man what I'd do for a tractor!

Right now, I'd love to be able to offer my other neighbor a huge sum of money that he couldn't turn down for his 1 acre up against my fence. He has his garden right by my fence line instead of down by the road (where it was until my baby horses got old enough to ride). He puts live animal traps in with the corn (which is closest to my fence) and then shoots the critters he catches in them. No wonder my horses are afraid of the garden. Two days ago, he put up a tent. Not out in the open mind you but partially hidden by a branch. The purpose - to sit in at night and watch for pests. Sure hope he doesn't shoot them if he sees them. My horses are now even more afraid of his garden. Oh, and did I tell you that right next to it is the only large enough level area on my property where I can ride.

Not to mention the guy that said in March he'd give me a good deal on hay and deliver it. Do I have hay yet? NO! Do I have another source lined up. NO! Have I called him? YES.

There are times the word "condo" has a lot of appeal.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Yeah, you guys need "respite care"!

Thanks for the thread that reminds me how tough it would be for me to run a farm by myself that meets my own damned standards. My heart goes out to you guys. If I can help out with barn chores-- large or small-- I always offer.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I dislike close neighbors and traffic more than I dislike farm life.
    But...my "wish I lived in town" moments would be when I run out of milk or something necessary past 8-9 pm and everything in the small downtown nearby is closed already. I hate having to drive all the way to Middletown for a gallon of milk at 10 pm at night.
    But then I get to Middletown and swear up and down at the traffic and crush of people everywhere...and speed back home to my little quiet oasis in the woods.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Yep, and today is one of those days - have been sitting here sneezing non-stop, head aching, eyes itchy and watering and I have flea beetles in my house. I can deal with winter for the most part, I can deal with seeding, harvest, haying such as it is since the hay land is rented. I can even deal with the poplar trees in spring when they shed thos purple 'worms' full of pollen. What I cannot tolerate is canola. Can't take the pollen, can't take the smell, and absolutly cannot handle those @*#*$(*&*()@&*$&*&#% flea beetles. It's gonna be a looooooooooooooong summer - the stuff is starting to bloom, and blossoms make pollen, and I am miserable until the crop is gone. On and canola dust makes me itch and sneeze. Most summers are NOT this bad, this is a once in 5 years phenomenon.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I sold my 100 acre farm and moved to the city last July. I thought the transition would be horrible and quite frankly, there are things I do miss. However, there are so many things I don't miss. Fence maintenance, the pump in the barn freezing in the winter, plowing the lane in the winter, holding my breath for 3-4 days after the hay is cut, loading said 1500 bales in the barn and the list goes on.

I love being in my little city house, I love having the horses boarded. I miss the sunsets, I miss the "sounds" from the pond, I miss being able to take in as many strays and rescues as I wanted and I miss the privacy.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Oh, I have those days. Especially on weekends when I still have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to go down to the stables and feed.

Not so long ago, there was a morning when my mother's QH, who lives with me and is never sound when you want to ride him, busted through the barn door and went on an early morning gallop, totally sound with lovely changes, through the neighborhood for almost an hour. Not to mention the crazy lady running through the neighborhood in running shorts and a white spaghetti strapped tank and no bra (me), trying to catch him. Yeah, I'm a 34F, think that was a pretty sight? Finally, I just went and opened a gate to one of the fields and stood there. About 10 minutes later he came running through of his own accord.

Same horse also ran through a wall of the barn and tore down the whole front of his stall. He is an arse and I swear one day he is just not going be here.. *poof* vanished.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sigh.....
    Yup

On nights like Tuesday when I got home all ready to mow the 2ac of lawn-trying-to-be-a hayfield and found out I had apparently not turned the key all the way to Off last time I mowed...
    And, of course, suddenly the pasture has sprouted 2' so the horses are not eating it down...
    And, naturally we are having great rainy, grass-growing weather, to continue until I can recharge or replace the mower battery...

Or when I would LOVE being able to walk to a store instead of getting in the car and driving...

Or mid-Winter pitchblack nights when it is double digits below Zero and I need to put on multi-layers of clothes for the 3rd time that day to make sure all are tucked in safely for the night with one last flake of hay...

Then a nice little house in the city sounds like it might be a better option.

But then there are nights like last night.
    When I sit in my barn aisle, listening to horses munch hay, purring barncat in lap and no other sounds to disturb my peace.

Or days when I get home from a nasty day at work and Old horse greets me with nickers while the younger guy does his little head-swinging Happy Dance.
    Noone heads for the barn & the food sure to be there, it's just because they see me.

Or when I sit on my backporch and look out on the acre planted in wildflowers that is finally starting to look like the meadow I intend it to be instead of a topic for the neighbors to discuss

Then I know I am right where I should be.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Just being able to sleep in or not having to find an army of people to take over for me if I need to go out of town.

I have no neighbors. Surrounded by conservation easements. I could scream my head off in my yard and I don't think anyone would notice.
    It was so quiet the other night - I kept hearing a noise as I lay in bed and I couldn't figure out what it was. I got dressed checked the horses and the dogs. Lay back down and finally figured out it was my heart beat.
    On the other hand the Johovah's Witness crew has discovered my location. I was fixing fence (in a bikini - remember no neighbors-1/2 mile drive way) and I couldn't find my shirt. A van of 8 pulls in handing over religous information to the lady with triangles and strings.