The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Treatment for severe skin allergies in possibly pregnant mare?

My 13-year old mare has severe allergic reactions to bug bites and for the past two summers since I bought her, I have had her on dexamethasone which really helped. She is now leased as a broodmare, possibly (hopefully!) pregnant -- we'll know next week -- and the vet is saying that she cannot be on dexamethasone while she is pregnant. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative treatment?
    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

Not really sure that it is a "treatment" per se but I've had good luck with products such as Miracle Mist's Miracle Mist Skin Treatment or even better Eqyss' Medicated Spray. It should help at least with the itching and/or swelling somewhat. I also had a vet one time tell me to use Benadryl or the generic form for a pony whose owners couldnt' afford the "horse" meds... But that I would check with the vet about!

I would suggest fly sheets/masks etc but if it is anything like it is up there as it is down here... my horses would suffocate in the heat and sweat being in all of that!

Did the vet have a recommendation?? and fingers crossed!!!!! ;-)
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I have a mare that was just eaten up by the bugs, and I ordered some Calm Coat, and after one application a few days ago, the raw spots are starting to heal up nicely. I have been using swat also, but they are not nearly as irritated or inflamed as they were. So far, so good.

I have used Spirulina for allergies with my horses and it works great. I get tablets from Trader Joes - $3.99 per bottle of 100 tablets, 500 mg. My horses get two tables daily that I put into their beet pulp mix and they eat it up. The only "side effect" that I have noticed is that their hooves seem to grow a little faster.
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

Thanks for the suggestions. And, Anissa, absolutely, fingers crossed! What a baby this will be!
    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

I had a pregnant mare last year that broke out with hives on several occasions. The vets could never pin point the cause but she was treated with Banamine during the episodes and the hives cleared up very quickly.
    Her hives were severe and covered her entire body, her face, throat swelled to the point she had difficulty breathing. Very scary. Thankfully the Banamine was fast acting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roz_002.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	25821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roz_003.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	25822  

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Lightbulb

not a popular answer, but have you ever tried pulling her off soy?

I have had at least 4 horses now (and think I've just found #5) in my tiny circle of *horses I know, and have actually TOUCHED* who had severe hives/bug reactions ever summer. All four cleared up when soy was pulled.

I am not sure if the soy is the cause, or if the soy with their bodies just makes them extra tasty to the bugs. But all of them were switched to whole oats and soy-free vits/mins, and had very quick responses.

It sure doesn't cost much, and is the first thing I try now. My white/medicine hat broodie is going to be soy free... she's getting hives and there isn't enough bug spray on the planet to keep her comfortable. Back to oats and 'falf for her.

Anecdotally, MSM & Ester C have also had excellent results.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

At the Royal last year my trainer bought magnets for her mare that has severe allergies. They are encased in fleece, and go on various places on the halter, etc. I thought they were a gimmick, but they really worked. I will see if I can find out the name of them... The only place I have seen them sold is at the Royal in Toronto.

Immunall has been effective for us for horses that have had allergies of several kinds, including spring respiratory issues
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

We have good luck with a home recipe of to olive oil, tea tree oil, lavender and sometimes eucalyptus oil. We use it both in a sprayer and with a dauber for belly sores.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Thumbs up BUG CHECK!!!!!

Our mare has severe, let me repeat, SEVERE allergies to bug bites. Untreated she has running sores all over her body and is an itchy, miserable mess.

The ONLY thing we've found that works that is SAFE FOR THE FOAL TOO, is BUG CHECK from Smartpak. We start her on it in early March in our area and keep her on it until late October.

It will take about a week to get it in her system --- start with a double dose for at least a week then back off to normal dose. It's a wonderful, wonderful product for pregnant mares with bug allergies. I really can't say enough great things about it.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...uctclassid=686