The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Books to add to dressage library

Ok--I am getting back into dressage after a long hiatus. I want to expand my "library of resources". What book(s) would you have in yours? Thank you for info/advice on these :-)

Anything by Jane Savoie and Alois Podhajsky. Welcome back!

Thank you. I bought my new guy in Feb this year and it has been fun! Starting to school some 1st level work and ride several times a week has been my "therapy". I will check out some works by them.

I'd get The Complete Training of Horse and Rider by Alois Podhajsky.

Parts of it get pretty detailed and technical, but that's why I love it so much. It takes you through everything. It's fabulous and should be in everybody's library. Another book by him that is less training focused but still wonderful is My Horses My Teachers. It's a lovely book about our relationships with our riding partners.

I also thought that Sally O'Connor's Common Sense Dressage was a nice intro book. It presents a lot of good exercises for the lower levels and gives advice on common faults. There are some good exercises to work on in your daily training.

Jane Savoie's stuff also tends to be very accessable.

Wink

In addition, "The Classical Seat" by Sylvia Loch, The Principles of Riding and Advanced Techniques of Riding both by the German National Equestrian Federation, and "The Athletic Development of the Dressage Horse" by Chrles deKunffy.

I have more but this lot should keep you broke and busy.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

This is a list of the books that I’ve found most helpful in my dressage pursuit:
    • Gymnasium of the Horse, by Gustav Steinbrecht (A tough read but filled with valuable information).
    • Horsemanship, by Waldemar Seunig (This book is my all-time favorite!!! It’s another tough read but very worthwhile because the author details the nuances and technical aspects of the classical riding art).
    • Dressage Formula, 4th edition, by Erik Herbermann. (This book describes the fundamental principles of riding, rider position, timing and application of aids, use of exercises, etc, etc, etc… in detail. It has many wonderful photographs of exemplary work so it’s also a wonderful resource for 'eye training'. Dressage Formula is also available on audio CD).
    • The Rider Forms the Horse, by Udo Burger (chief veterinary officer at the "Cavalry School" in Hanover) and Otto Zietzschmann (professor of anatomy at the School of Veterinary Medicine in Hanover).
    • Dressage Riding, by Richard Watjen (This book also has wonderful photographs of excellent work and is another wonderful book for 'eye training').
    • Riding Logic, by Wilhelm Museler
    • The Way to Perfect Horsemanship, by Udo Burger
    • Don’t Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor (This book is not so much about training dogs as it is about the principles of behavior science, which are applicable in dressage)

In August, the entire reading list for the USDF Instructor's Certification is going up on online auction.

To benefit dressage education/programs.

Check it out, since it has the whole list:

www.dressageauction.weebly.com

In addition to whats been mentioned - and seconding The Classical Seat, by Sylvia Loch - I also love Dressage in Lightness by SL, it has a very pragmatic progression of the young horse's training.

Also, if not already mentioned, Centered Riding by S Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    In addition, "The Classical Seat" by Sylvia Loch, The Principles of Riding and Advanced Techniques of Riding both by the German National Equestrian Federation, and "The Athletic Development of the Dressage Horse" by Chrles deKunffy.

I have more but this lot should keep you broke and busy.
    hahaha, just read this, Yes, TCS is quite the pricey little book ain't it? I love it though, it really helped break me free of my rut of fear.

I'm moving today and my books are packed but

Herbert rehbein
    carl Hester
    Kyra Kyrkland

all have great books out

Read 'em all and take what you can use from each. Just remember, horses can't read.
    Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!

I'd suggest getting a mixture of books, some more philosophical and spiritual, some more practical and technical. Most books are necessarily vague and few go into details or are specific, out of necessity, mostly. No book offers feedback to what you are doing moment to moment with a horse as you ride, so all are necessarily limited, and no substitute for instruction.

Podhajsky had to go against centuries of Spanish Riding School belief that books are no substitute for instruction, and that books should not have training specifics, to write his book, even as general as it was.

Unfortunately, I think most books are just a regurgitation of his book, but with a certain level of misinterpretation and loss.

Muessler (corrected). Riding Logic. He was so upset about how this book was translated in to English, he went to his grave upset about it, so the story goes. If there is a newer, better translation, this might be better. If reading the translation he so disliked (he especially felt the translation on the use of the seat was terrible) it might help to try to keep in mind it didn't read in English as he had hoped.

von Ziegner. The ELements of Dressage and...
    Lindquist. A Practical Dressage Manual and...
    Crossley. (anything!)

A great trio for getting a basic picture in mind. If I had to take 1 of the 3 it would be Practical Dressage Manual.

Boldt. The Dressage Horse

Nothing does a better job of diagramming the aids and movements in detail. The diagramming technique of the aids and positiions in the lateral work is without competition.

Chris Bartle's book does actually finish a very, very close second to it only because every move and exercise is not diagrammed in the same way. It may be more valuable because the explanations of the basics are so much more detailed and specific, and so much more geared toward the analytical mind. Bartle is brilliant and breaks things down in a way that is completely unique, and extremely helpful.

Niggli. Can't recall his book title, but it is very unusual, both for the blend of theory and specifics, strong personal opinion (not always in the majority today, and with his own definitions and own unique take on things) and the history of past Olympics and the GP tests.

Kathy Connelly's book Dressage with the Experts. This is a most fascinating read and it would be wonderful if she came out with a new version now with people like Helgestrand and Schmidt interviewed.

Kidd. Dressage in Europe. Very dated now but a fascinating read from someone outside the European dressage world looking in 30 or more years or so ago (Monica Theodorescu was about 8 when it was researched), and trying to see why the Europeans were winning and the British were not. At times a very, very funny Gulliver's Travels sort of book.

Charles Harris. The Spanish Riding School Notebooks. The only outsider yet who ever spent a substantial amount of time at the Spanish Riding School, a education he said most people desperately seek to find a way OUT of. Don't expect to find a highly spiritual (other than the level of dedication and ntensity) or physically undemanding process here. This book is fascinating. Out of hundreds of numbered individual comments, 95% of them turn out to be about one thing: the position and seat of the rider on the horse. It is really the most telling thing you will ever read about the process of learning to excell at dressage. It is a very difficult book as these numbered comments are single sentences and just notes, and in no particular order and you have to somehow read and absorb all of them, though they do seem to be in a very loose chronological order, the emphasis on the seat and position saturates all the notes.
    Last edited by slc2; Jul. 3, 2009 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Seunig. Riding Logic. He was so upset about how this book was translated in to English, he went to his grave upset about it, so the story goes.
    Do you mean Museler, who wrote Riding Logic, or do you mean Seunig's book Horsemanship?

I like "Dressage with Kyra" by Kyra kyrklund and "The training of the young horse" by Ingrid and Reiner Klimke.
    Both are very easy to read and make things very clear to me. Plus they have a lot of pictures which helps me a lot.

No larkspur, i'm totally messing it up. it was riding logic by muessler, you'r eright. it was muessler who objected to the translation.

<< I'm moving today and my books are packed but

Herbert rehbein>>

Herbert Rehbein wrote a book?
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

I like The Athletic Development of the Dressage Horse by de Kunffy - good exercises.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

englishmajor Guest

Default A must for your library

All these books will offer you great infomation and in addtion this CD is awesome. I am a visual learner and being able to ride the test in theory really helps. Your view can be from atop the horse or from the judges stand. I prefer on the horse as it really gives me a true perspective.

http://www.englishhabit.com/dressage-tests-on-cd.aspx

My absolute favorite is Philippe Karl's "Twisted Truths". Second favorite is between "My Horses, My Teachers" & "Complete Training of Horse & Rider" both by Alois Podhajsky.

Not exactly dressage books, but both of Linda Kohanov's books are great.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    << I'm moving today and my books are packed but

Herbert rehbein>>

Herbert Rehbein wrote a book?
    No my bad...

I was thinking of "Simplicity of Dressage" by Jahana Hinnemann / coby Van Baalen very good book - also fun to read as there are great pictures and small personal bio's

I am shocked no one has mentioned Mary Wanless. Any of her books (Ride With Your Mind)---perhaps the best is For The Good of the Rider. Major accountability for your own body, asymmetries and how to work on them as they can significantly affect your riding as well as your horse's way of going.
    Can't recommend enough. I also second the Jane Savoie, Sylvia Loch recommendations. I have shelves of books, DVDs etc!
    Its all such a process!