The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Speak to me of TS fit...

For the first time EVER, I actually am interested in a certain pair of TS britches, but they are in a catalog. I know in the past I have tried a pair on in consignment and was sorely disappointed in how they fit (as in, not at all in my size). I wear a 28 in just about everything, including my Grand Prixs, but need a size or two larger for Ariats. I have a little waist but have a proper hour glass figure (a friend walking behind me the other night while I was in a skirt called me "freakishly curvy"...she meant it in a good way). So, I'm hardly a stick. I also have very muscular calves and quads (which seems to be where I had issues in my one experience with TS britches). Any idea on what size would work, if they'd work at all???

More likely than not, I'll go and try some on somewhere, even if it isn't the particular pair I'm interested in.

You'll never know until you try; I wear the same size as my Ariats in the TS two-way, but know many people who wear a size larger. From the sounds of it, the 4-way may be more what you need, especially for the calf. I have a friend who is built similar to you, from the sounds of it, and she gets Ariats or Grand Prixs because of the calf fit with the TS. Mostly, you'll definitely need to be trying them on and I'd guess to start with the 28, since that's what most of your other pairs are.

Are you looking at the two way or four way stretch?
    I find the two way stretch seems to have a roomier cut.

I have the opposite problem, small legs and thighs and not much booty . I bought a 28 and the legs and thighs were VERY generous. So you may want to go a tack store and try on a 28. It may work for you.

They are the Trophy Hunter in a full seat (event rider...I prefer full seat for dressage). They say they are 4 way.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and go shopping...with the Surrey closed, that's harder than it should be!

Ah, the Trophy Hunters - I love them. I've adopted several pairs. They fit very true to size and have plenty of stretch. A 28 should work fine, if that's what you wear in GP.

If it helps, I wear a 28, have a small waist and large hips/butt, and the TS 28 fit me well. This is an OLDDD pair that I got off of ebay though, so idk if the fit changed or what.
    Katie

I'd go up a size from normal.

Also, I have never seen the Trophy Hunters in a true full seat- just the Euro Seat.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I considered TS full seats of any kind a myth, but apparently, they do exist- http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=7258

I might have a chance to get to a tack shop tomorrow, so I'll see if I can try on some of the Trophy Hunters, full seat or not, and see what's up. I'm not used to spending big money on britches, but these are the style I like plus full seat. Worth the money for nice looking, nice fitting britches for shows.

I find with all my TS I have to go up a size, my friend is the same, she ordered a pair that were the size she ussually wears and was dissapointed when she didn't fit them properly.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wtsimm
    Sanswill Designs- custom fly bonnets and wither pads:
    http://www.flybonnets.com

I'm a big fan of Tailored Sportsman breeches, as they fit me perfect. The two-way are definitely a better choice for someone built more up and down (boyish figure), while the four-way stretch accomodate those w/ more curves. The Trophy line seems to run a little more losoe through the hip area and sits nice and low on the hip which I like. I prefer the Trophy and the two-way stretch, low-rise Royals.

Like others have said, you may want to go try them on so you can be certain which fit you best. They aren't cheap, so you want to make sure you're happy with them.

FYI, there is definitely a difference in fit from TS breeches I have from 5-6+ years ago, compared to the newer ones. So if you try a used pair, keep that in mind.
    Last edited by chawley; Jul. 2, 2009 at 02:08 PM.

I speak from experience because I just bought my first pair of TS breeches in TEN years! Now, that's a testament to how well they last!! And yes, there is definitely a difference in fit now compared to ten years ago.

Before purchasing online, I went the local over-priced tack shop and tried on different styles until I found what fit. If you prefer the styles that don't overlap your belly button, then I find that they do fit to size. The granny pants styles were huge on me even thought they were my "number size"; however, I have a stick figure.

I bought the TS Trophy hunter, and am quite happy with them for their $$.