The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why wont the skinny ones eat pasture-EDITED wont eat hay either

We have 2 "rescues" that came to us in pretty poor shape. They just werent fed enough--no problems otherwise. They are young and are growing but even turned out in pasture 24/7 (others gobble the grass) they just stand, run, play, everything but eat. They are probably a BCS of 3 at best, and one probably not quite that. They eat grain and when they were inside ate everything in fromt of them.

What could it be--or do youngsters not eat as much as older ones?
    Last edited by JohnDeere; Jul. 16, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

My first 2 thoughts are teeth and the possibility they don't know what to do in a pasture. You said they were young, so its possible they haven't seen real live grass before. I think they will figure it out as they start to feel better. Maybe spread some hay on the grass so they 'accidently' get a taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Saidapal View Post
    My first 2 thoughts are teeth and the possibility they don't know what to do in a pasture. You said they were young, so its possible they haven't seen real live grass before. I think they will figure it out as they start to feel better. Maybe spread some hay on the grass so they 'accidently' get a taste.
    At first they didnt know what grass was. Sad huh? Now they eat some but not 24/7 like youd think being hungry all there lives (where they came from has kept horses skinny for YEARS). Or may be they are so used to being hungry they dont know how to stop it?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

That is sad. Makes you wish murder was legal in this kind of situation. I really do think as they start feeling better they will get the hang of it. The fact that they have a good appetite otherwise would make me lean towards just giving them time.

Could they be happy to have company? Don't know if they were alone or not, but they might be so excited about other horses that eating isn't a top priority. Afraid if they don't keep a watch on them they will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Saidapal View Post
    That is sad. Makes you wish murder was legal in this kind of situation. I really do think as they start feeling better they will get the hang of it. The fact that they have a good appetite otherwise would make me lean towards just giving them time.

Could they be happy to have company? Don't know if they were alone or not, but they might be so excited about other horses that eating isn't a top priority. Afraid if they don't keep a watch on them they will disappear.

I dont know why this person does this--and sellsa lot of horses every year to. AAMOF another horse in the barn came from there...and he was in the same shape. BCS of 2 is the standard.

Theyve been out for a month or more--and yeah they were stalled alone. They are very happy to see people though--come running to the fence when anyone comes their way.

Since they are out front of the barn I hate to see them so thin--makes us look bad! They look better than when they came but I like fatter horses.

I think I'd just give them some time to get the hang of things. Also, if you're worried about folks seeing them, throw fly sheets on em!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I wouldn't worry about what people think. I eyeball all the horses on my comings and goings and if I see a skinny horse in a pasture with horses in good condition I think the best. That they had recently been ill or that they were recently rescued. Then I automatically check on their progess and am happy to see them looking better and applaud the people who were able to take them in. I think they are giving your barn a good name.

That's probably part of why they are skinny. For some horses (*cough* ponies!), food is always a priority. There's hungry and eating. For others, it's just not.

There's also the very real factor that some horses need a lot more calories than others. My TB needs twice as much food as her friend the QH.

Particularly while they are underweight, they may just need supplementing to get enough food over the day. Once they are back to normal condition, the pasture may be fine.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Update:

To help keep the weight on these guys they were given a stall. It worked--well with 1 anyway. He hoovers up everything you give him. Hes skinny but is happy alert and looks great otherwise.

But the other 1 wont eat hay (its good hay--everyone else inhales it--I would to if I were a horse ) but decorates with it.

An y tips on how to get his BCS up? Hes growing & a healthy coat but isnt gaining any weight. Hes been floateed and wormed. Hes being given all the grain that is comfortable without founder but he looks pretty bad. Like no one wants to take his blankie off bad! Hes huge & isnt being worked much so he should start filling out.

Would ulcers do this? Any other ideas?

Get a vet out. Could be ulcers. I would add a feed that allows it to be all of the nutrion and roughage a horse needs....what is it called......basically a complete feed that a horse doesn't need hay.

What ever it is....GOOD LUCK

The feed is custom mized & bought 1200 lbs at a time. Is there something can be added to make it better?

Not that there cheap but business is bad so expenses have to b e reasonable or they wont keep the colt . I think they would add something but I doubt they would by special feed...

Ill casually mention the vet. I know Coggins was done but dont know if anything was done in the spring.

Can you try beet pulp or hay stretcher or something along those lines to replace the forage he isn't eating?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Can you try beet pulp or hay stretcher or something along those lines to replace the forage he isn't eating?
    Thats what I was looking for. Which is better? I know BP is available locally Ill have to see where to buy HS.

I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, they should both do the trick if he will eat it. The beet pulp would probably be the way I would go but its a bit of a hassle as it is a good idea to soak it for at least a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, they should both do the trick if he will eat it. The beet pulp would probably be the way I would go but its a bit of a hassle as it is a good idea to soak it for at least a short time.
    As picky as this one is can we get a sample size?

You might be able to. Call the feed store and ask. If they mill their own feed there they would have loose beet pulp and should be able to give you a few pounds. Edited to add that I would bet the farm that you are dealing with ulcers though. BP might help but if you can get rid of the ulcers he would probably be way less maintenance.

[QUOTE=JohnDeere;4241932]Update:

To help keep the weight on these guys they were given a stall. It worked--well with 1 anyway. He hoovers up everything you give him. Hes skinny but is happy alert and looks great otherwise.

But the other 1 wont eat hay...

"Like no one wants to take his blankie off bad! Hes huge & isnt being worked much...QUOTE]

A couple of things you've said may give some insight:

One stall for 2 horses? One is eating hay, the other isn't?

Maybe one is more dominant than the other. Doesn't have to be in an aggressive way (biting/kicking) but his posture could be intimidating the other horse to stay away from the food.

Can the skinnier one be fed seperately? Or hand fed a bucket - hold it until he's finished?

Blankie? In the summer heat?
    Is he hot and sweating off any calories he consumes?
    In hot weather they might be sweating just standing, so gaining weight will be a longer process.

"Isn't being worked much"?
    Perhaps he needs to not work for a while until he gets healthier.

It's good you're looking out for them.

Sorry each has a stall to themselves.

Hes not wearing a blankie but youd want to put one on him to hide his bones! Oh and the heat hasnt been bad this year compared to other years and the breeze blows, though he may be sensitive.

Im not sure 10 min of light wt on LL is worse than standing all the days. Hes just a baby so just light work for now. We would like to stimulate his appetite (for hay) so wouldnt work do that? Its not like hes not eating--just not the stuff that will put weight on him!

Ill have them check with the mill vlaurie & see if BP is laying around. I never thought of that since I dont go there.