The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rubber footing

I am helping my B/O look at rubber footing to add to our outdoor arena. It is a sand mix now...we are in down state NY so shipping is an issue with the price also. Does anyone have any expereince with this stuff and where to get it?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

We bought ours from the same guy who did our indoor, it is actually the same stuff used on playgrounds for children so it is NOT made from old tires, which I have read can be a bit scary since you sometimes find metal pieces in it. Ours is small, pebble-sized flat black rubber and we LOVE it!

My word of advice, since I don't really know where you should look to get it, would be to not buy too much - you really REALLY don't need much! We took 3 LOADS back OUT of ours since it was too thick when we originally put it down on top of our angular sand. Now it is perfect. One good way to look at it as far as amount is that it should look like "Pepper sprinkled over Mashed Potatoes."

Good luck!

What size is your ring and how much did you use? Our ring is pretty large and has the sand already there. Did you put it on top or mix it in?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

My ring is 80 X 150. We originally brought in about 2 inches and I would say there is 1/3 of an inch in there now. We put it on top of the sand and rode in it and dragged it with a chainlink fence in addition, everyday (there are only 2 horses, 3 if my friend comes up, so not much activity here!) and that mixed it in quite nicely.

I am a dressage rider so I don't want my footing deep, and it is as deep as I would like it currently. Anymore and it would be too much. So we have about 1/3 inch of rubber mixed with 2 inches of angular, washed masonry sand, on top of a stonedust base, and together this combination seems to work.

My rubber is meant to mix with our angular sand and "lock" together when the horses weight hits down on it, and I think that is the idea with the shape of the rubber, it's not those long shreds like I have seen, it is very small squares, like the shape and size of one side of a die (and quite thin). There are a lot of different types of rubber out there though, and I'm sure it's going to be fantastic no matter what kind or shape. I'm just not sure if depending on what kind of sand is in your outdoor should determine the shape/weight/texture of the rubber you look into.

Yes, be careful not to use too much. I know someone who did and it created instability when the horse pushed off, almost like it would slip/roll away from under the hoof and it will affect movement.

I tested it and had the same issues walking in it. It was not so bad that it would cause falls, but enough that one would compensate for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Yes, be careful not to use too much. I know someone who did and it created instability when the horse pushed off, almost like it would slip/roll away from under the hoof and it will affect movement.

I tested it and had the same issues walking in it. It was not so bad that it would cause falls, but enough that one would compensate for it.
    Exactly. Less is more! You can always bring more in. Taking it out sucks! (3 times, over here..) Needless to say my friend is getting several loads of free rubber for her outdoor, so it worked out for her! haha