The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Small land owner ag courses:

Wonder what to do with small acreage?
    Take these internet courses for some ideas, later also courses on horses:

http://www.texascattleraisers.org/da.../agrilife.html

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Thanks! Not in Texas, but might have to look into the information anyway as we're looking at buying a small farm next spring (went window shopping last night on one that is 21 acres).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

What a great idea! I am going to try to sign up even though I am not a resident of Texas. You never know!

I'm going to check it out too. Thanks for the link Bluey.

tle, I had to chuckle over the 21 acres being a small farm. Guess it's all in location, here in CT 21 acres for a private farm/residence/horse property is pretty darned large.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

For those in other states, if those courses are not quite what you are looking for, your local universities may have some just like those.

Yes, 21 acres would not even feed one cow or horse here, but you could put up a greenhouse on it and sell tomatoes or something like that to local supermarkets and make it work on those acres.

I don't have any idea what those courses will touch on, but since so many were showing interest in those topics last time they were discussed, I thougt some may want to see what they have to say about it.

Hey, good link-thanks! Here in Alabama 21 acres isn't really "farm" size-or not traditional farm anyway but it's nice to be going on with. Our state Ag guys are *awful* here. If you don't have at least 300 acres they just aren't interested. I have 8 and asked them what I could grow/raise to sell and they told me "nothing". Now that is just not true! I don't care if it's not enough to make a whole living on you *can so* make some money from land even if it's selling tomatoes around town like Mr. Cottingham does! I am determined to grow/raise something to sell and when I do I'm calling them!
    We do have Univ of Ala in H'ville who are *much* more helpful. I'll see what classes they have-better yet see if they need an assistant and kill two birds w/one stone ($ for me and help).
    Regards,
    HuntinFool

PS I wish I'd told that smug State guy that I could grow a really profitable pot crop on the land (not that I would) but of course I didn't think of it in time