The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

d r e s s a g e ! ! ! Guest

Default stirrup leathers?

My ancient, stretched-out stirrup leathers are nearing their final days pretty rapidly - does anyone have any recommendations for stirrup leathers for a person on a budget? I was looking at some of the synthetic leathers - but do those look odd against a leather saddle (and do they last)? We do show pretty often. Any help would definitely be appreciated

I highly recommend the prestige stirrup leathers. They lie flat, do not stretch and last forever. You can find some less expensive used Prestige leathers on ebay.

I'm a fan of the Bates Webbers - they don't stretch and they are super easy to adjust from in the saddle, with no bump under your thigh.

If you are anywhere near Bartville Harness Shop in PA, they have leathers with nylon sewn inside (two pieces of leather, nylon between them) at very reasonable prices.

wouldn't synthetic leathers tear up a leather saddle?

I second prestige leathers, wear like iron, very comfortable, and can be found on ebay used cheap. All of mine are used and cost less than $40. I have nice big thick half hole excelle leathers and they are way too thick and cumbersome.

you can find "FSS" (the maker) "bonded dressage leathers" (a la webbers) on ebay from the UK sometimes. I'm not a huge fan of FSS strapgoods, but their bonded leathers are nice for the price (around $40 shipped irrc).

I also love amerigo leathers, can once in a while be found on ebay cheap, used. My favorite leathers are bevals, but I've not yet seen them in black (used/cheap). Fortunately I love brown dressage saddles

If you're really on a budget, wade around on ebay, you can generally find some decent crosby leathers pretty cheap, just get photos of the holes and ask if any extras had been punched.

finally, I've been meaning to get some Gary Mundy leathers, he makes them to suit, the quality is supposed to be wonderful and the price very reasonable.

I have these: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=236167099 and am quite happy with them.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Default Leathers

I like Weaver leathers. Made in the USA and run less than $60.

Quote Originally Posted by d r e s s a g e ! ! ! View Post
    My ancient, stretched-out stirrup leathers are nearing their final days pretty rapidly - does anyone have any recommendations for stirrup leathers for a person on a budget? I was looking at some of the synthetic leathers - but do those look odd against a leather saddle (and do they last)? We do show pretty often. Any help would definitely be appreciated
    do you change them over every time you ride