The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me find a large leather neckstrap & non-slip pad for bareback riding.

Well, until a) the saddlefitter calls me to schedule an appt and b) gets the order placed for the saddle and c) flocks it to fit, we are going at it bareback with Mr bombproof.

Walk, trot goes well, but I've yet got to attempt the canter.
    I'd like to find a leather (or rope) neckstrap for the giant 18hh WB to help me out.
    Just been googling "neckstrap" but can't seem to find one. All I come up with are neckstraps as in collarstraps or ID-tag straps. Any ideas where to find this?
    Mucho appreciated. .

Anyone has the Baretek pad?
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...sp?ic=BT00100R
    How is the sizing? I usually ride a 17,5" inch saddle, I fear this might turn out to be a smaller seat and put the thigh blocks in wrong place. Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions for bareback pads.
    I know l'Apologee has a heavenly looking one (http://www.lapogeesaddles.com/bareback.html), but at $500 it's a bit too pricey for a temporary solution.

http://halfcircleranch.com/

Click on "Miscellaneous" to see their bareback pads.

I have the Parelli bareback pad (same thing) but wish I'd seen these first--cheaper, prettier, and you can EMBROIDER them! Plus, these can be made with fittings for a breastcollar--might help with your slippage issue. They also have a large leather handle on the front.

I used the Parelli pad on my TB mare and holy cow, the suede sticks your a$$ to the saddle like glue. I LOVE this pad...especially since my independent seat needs work and with this pad I can work on it without falling off every 3 strides.

If you just want something inexpensive with a little grip:

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pro...&pf_id=0032219

Neoprene waffle weave on the bottom, synthetic suede grip for you on the top. It takes a normal western girth or you can use the fleecy one it comes with. I can stay with my standardbred's pacey trot with mine, and that's saying a lot.

As for neck straps, could you just use a long english stirrup leather bucked around the neck? If he's super big in the neck, perhaps two of them?

I've always used a stirrup leather for a neck strap. I don't think they actually make a "neck strap".

I've always used a stirrup leather as a neck strap. I'm not sure how long you'll be without a saddle, but if you want something wider (or with a keeper), Quillin can make you one. http://quillin.com/jshop/ Just measure and let them know what you need.

Aha, you're probably right, they may not even make something like a neckstrap, hence no luck in googling.
    I'll experiment with a stirrup leather (or 2), great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee
    http://www.better-horsetack.com/lj/i...fm?page=blnket
    These pads are awesome!
    Hmmm, that's nice, comes even with stirrups, not sure if this is good or bad really, but I don't have to have the stirrups attached. Sounds like a nice option. Thx.

This is the one I have and I LOVE it! It isn't english or even english looking, but it is snug!! Best bareback pad I've ridden in.

http://www.elcompanero.com/pics.htm
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

I've got a Baretek- Dressage bareback pad. I am surprised how much I use it and enjoy it. If you can find one used, they are great.

Holy cow. . .looking at some of the $200+ price tags for bareback pads?

I bought the Comfort Plus bareback pad. . .at the time, I found one online on sale for about $60, though I think most sites price it at $80. Very comfortable, has a couple of D-rings in front and behind in case you want to attach a breastcollar or saddle bags. The underside and the girth are that "tacky" honeycomb material as well. I've had mine since last fall, trail ride in it frequently, and love it!
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

If you have a PAIR of older stirrup leathers, you can use one leather for the neckstrap and the other leather for making a surcingle with a western string cinch, to hold your blanket or saddle pad on horse.

I just run the stirrup leather thru one ring of the cinch, then the leather end back thru the buckle to lock it on cinch ring. Then put the length of leather across the horse's back with pad on. You buckle the leather end into the open end of the cinch. You can tighten the leather down snugly on the pad, so everything stays in place well, can be tightened if needed. Works well on small or large girth sized horses. You can usually grab the leather strap on pad if you need a handhold for a moment.

Bareback pads with stirrups can be dangerous. Rider depends on the stirrups for balance, but pad will turn out under you, causing you to fall. Might hang up your foot in those stirrups, causing you to drag. I have never been able to girth a bareback pad so it won't slip or turn.