Default Eventing to Hunter/Jumper back to Eventing?

My old instructor was eventing, and I love it. Definitely what I want to do, even though I haven't even gone BN yet.
    However, I'm having to switch to hunter/jumper for at least two years, till I can drive. The woman seems very knowledgeable, and on the flat likes my position. I haven't jumped with her yet, but she doesn't seem like the type that is going to want me lying on my horse's neck, or perching.
    My question is, will this mess me up? Granted, I haven't really evented yet, but I think it's awesome. Will I be able to come back to eventing in two years, and at least be the same, if not improved? I don't have any experience in hunters, other than watching my friend in 4-H plod around the arena on her dead-broke, push-button pony.

If she is a GOOD h/j trainer you will be ahead of the game when you come back to eventing. Esepcially if she is truly Hunter/JUMPER, not just Hunter.
    Last edited by Janet; Jun. 30, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

It used to be that eventing was something you did after you became an accomplished rider in other disciplines. (Of course back then it started at Training level!) Or at the very least something you did in conjunction with other disciplines. Personally, when I watch a lower level class I think there are a lot of riders that could have used a year or two learning things like the rhythm and quietness that are so important in Hunters--they are just as important in eventing for a good round, but many folks seem to think "clean" is the same as "good round."

At your age it is much more important that your having fun. As long as you are getting quality instruction and enjoy yourself you'll be fine if you want to event down the road.

By the way, Linden Wiseman who rode on the the Sydney Olympic team did pony hunters for years before switching to eventing.

Thanks so much! Sounds great. I have a feeling I'm really going to love this trainer. She got the horse I ride into a frame after one lesson...as opposed to my last trainer who hasn't been able to get me to do that in a year. I'm not very consistent about seeing distances, or about my jumping position for that matter, so I think this will be good for me.

It'll give you a great base, especially if she focuses on more jumper-type courses as you improve.