The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Temporary Stall Gate Ideas

Even though my barn is full, my barn owner was kind enough to empty out the hay stall so that my new pony could be kept there. I originally had planned to keep her at a barn around the corner until a stall became available, but the pony is just miserable (thus so is myself) at this other barn and there are just no other places around. To make a long story short, we cleaned out the stall, put down rubber mats, made a nice window and ordered a stall gate. The stall gate has yet to come in as promised and now tomorrow is July 1st and I wanted my pony out weeks ago. Her current barn has no problem with me prorating (they are courteous when I told them I would be leaving, and I gave them plenty of notice) but I just want to be OUT. I've called all the other tack/feed shops and no one has them in stock. I called all my friends. No one has an extra one.

Anyone have any suggestions for a temporary gate? We have a stall gaurd- one of those good rubber ones. But, this pony is smart and I think she would slip under one of those quite easily. I'm honestly thinking of using some hooks and snaps and jury-rigging a 4x8 plywood across her door. LOL.

Of course, safety first. So if I can't come up with a good solution, she'll just have to stay where she is a few more days

Quote Originally Posted by ksetrider View Post
    Even though my barn is full, my barn owner was kind enough to empty out the hay stall so that my new pony could be kept there. I originally had planned to keep her at a barn around the corner until a stall became available, but the pony is just miserable (thus so is myself) at this other barn and there are just no other places around. To make a long story short, we cleaned out the stall, put down rubber mats, made a nice window and ordered a stall gate. The stall gate has yet to come in as promised and now tomorrow is July 1st and I wanted my pony out weeks ago. Her current barn has no problem with me prorating (they are courteous when I told them I would be leaving, and I gave them plenty of notice) but I just want to be OUT. I've called all the other tack/feed shops and no one has them in stock. I called all my friends. No one has an extra one.

Anyone have any suggestions for a temporary gate? We have a stall gaurd- one of those good rubber ones. But, this pony is smart and I think she would slip under one of those quite easily. I'm honestly thinking of using some hooks and snaps and jury-rigging a 4x8 plywood across her door. LOL.

Of course, safety first. So if I can't come up with a good solution, she'll just have to stay where she is a few more days
    A 4' tube or goat gate at TSC would service you well and you can always use one around the farm in the future.

Half a dozen of those rubber-clad chain ones should do the trick in a pinch.
    Click here before you buy.

Did you check to see if any tack stores had the Kensington web stall guards? Wouldn't want to use one forever but they do a good job. All the online catalogs (Dover, smartpak, etc. have them. If shipping costs weren't an issue, you could have one delivered overnight).
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

If you or someone you know are competent with a saw and screwdriver, it's really easy to build a half door. We've built all of ours and basically all you do are cut a bunch of boards (we use tongue and groove) and screw them onto a wooden 2x4 frame. Nothing difficult at all if you have a few tools already. You can buy the wood from any lumber yard and slap some hinges on the door and a latch.

You can build a door/gate without being NEARLY as fancy as the above. Nail boards in a square the right size, add at least one diagonal board for stability plus any additional boards you think you'll need to make the between-boards spaces small enough, and attach on the sides. Voila!

In a pinch, I've seen people use two jump wings and three poles- two in a cross, and one at horsey chest height.

Not sure how well it works though!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Been there, done that with a pony who would get through any stall guard. I used a single board with a hinge on one end and a latch on the other. Easy to put up as long as the BO doesn't mind you drilling into the stall a little.

We have a roll of that landscaping fence, the orange plastic stuff, and have used it around the place to keep the chickens out of the shop and dogs away from the rabbits. It is very perm-erary stuff but if you use it with a stall guard it should work. For a quick and dirty install, most big pasture gates in barbed wire fences are made by taking a section of fence, say four wires, and attaching them to a 2x4, which has the bottom in a big loop of wire and the top in a big loop of wire. The loops of wire are attached to a fixed post. When you want to open it you push the 2x4, lift the top loop off, take the bottom out of the loop and walk the whole mess off to the side. We use that concept with the orange stuff, but if you have wire fence chunks, chicken wire, whatever it is pretty quick to whip up a "found" gate.
    Hope you can get pony shifted soon!
    Last edited by ReSomething; Jul. 3, 2009 at 02:28 AM.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    You can build a door/gate without being NEARLY as fancy as the above. Nail boards in a square the right size, add at least one diagonal board for stability plus any additional boards you think you'll need to make the between-boards spaces small enough, and attach on the sides. Voila!
    "NEARLY as fancy" ?? Didn't we just say the same thing? You nailed boards onto "a square the right size" and I screwed them onto a "wooden frame" which is nothing other than a "square the right size". Guess I just thought she might need some hinges and a latch too. Regardless, I said that WE used tongue and groove because it was a permanent stall door but said you can use a bunch of boards. Same principal, I guess I just made mine sound more complicated than it really is.