The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are banged tails "industry standard" in the "A" hunters now, even if...

Are banged tails "industry standard" in the hunters now, even if your horse does not need a false tail?

Trying to figure out what I need to do with The Kid's tail. It's Saddlebred-long and Saddlebred-thick, but old Hunter Princess that I am, I really don't *like* it dragging on the ground. So do I thin it or bang it?

Thanks!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Tradition be darned, I would never thin a tail. I have been banging my hunter tails for 15 years and have only gotten compliments.

Ha! My reservation about banging it is that I'm afraid it would end up looking like one of those AQHA fake tails that spray out in an upside-down V. It's THAT thick.

I used to bang my OTTBs' tails routinely, even when it wasn't cool but this one might actually be an odd instance of "too thick to bang"!

Of course, if I continue to commit willful and wanton tail abuse in the interest of keeping it short, we may not have this problem any more. That could be my solution right there.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Me too...don't like my TB stepping on her tail so I just bang it, but I feather it a little so it's not too obvious, her highness does not have a thick tail anyway.

Oh, BTW, NOTHING is standard and nobody really cares if it's banged or shaped a little at the end...but you do not want to do any thinning at the top. Only at the bottom. Don't forget Hunters traditionally braid the tail...you don't want to go razor cutting, plucking hairs or thinning around the base.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I loff the big tails. Like find8 I sort of curve the bottom of the tail to make it look more natural.

My hunter as a kid had a hugely thick white tail. He also had a huge, ugly head -- the only reason I could EVER afford him was this nasty-looking head. I worked hard to keep his tail as thick and glistening white as possible to counterbalance the big head. My bridle also had a wide, wide noseband way before it was cool.

It really did work aesthetically -- with the huge tail and huge head he looked kind of like a normal horse. He was a great mover and jumper, but that head...he still makes my roman-nosed jumper look like an Arab on the scale of pretty heads.

I don't mind big tails if they look good on the horse in question, but TBH I'm kind of looking for the best way to deflect attention from a rather weak/light back end. I'm thinkin' honkin' big AQHA tail on Mr. Skinny Butt would not be the best way to achieve that.

How do y'all shape the ends?

I don't like the look of a banged tail, even on a dressage horse.

I have one horse whose tail will grow to the ground. When it needs trimming, I have the guy who does my hair come out and trim it. Seriously. I put the fake tail in and he trims the ends of the real tail to match.

For those of you not so scissor-challenged, I've heard that you take your hand, put it around the tail hair, run it down the tail to the end where you want the tail to end. Flip the tail end upside down and take a pair of sharp scissors. Clip into the hair ends to create a rough cut. Does that make sense? I'm too chicken to try it myself. My horse's tail would end up looking like a kid had at it with a pair of scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    For those of you not so scissor-challenged, I've heard that you take your hand, put it around the tail hair, run it down the tail to the end where you want the tail to end. Flip the tail end upside down and take a pair of sharp scissors. Clip into the hair ends to create a rough cut. Does that make sense? I'm too chicken to try it myself. My horse's tail would end up looking like a kid had at it with a pair of scissors.
    This is what I do. Scissors are parallel to the hair shaft. Just snip/snip/snip until it's short enough. I do it on both horses and have never had it come out bad.

I would never bang a hunter's tail. ('course I'm not fond of the look of a banged tail on any horse).
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I used to not like the look of a banged tail but moved to Ireland and I just love them. Of course I realized living in a country with mud 10 months a year means it's necessary!

In the winter, mine just below their hocks. During the summer, just above their ankles. It really is the only way to keep a tail thick and lush.

I have absolutely no knowledge of fake tails whatsoever, but being as how one of my sales yearlings had is chopped by a very unruly pasture mate, I think it will become a necessity in the fall!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Default I would pull it...

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Are banged tails "industry standard" in the hunters now, even if your horse does not need a false tail?

Trying to figure out what I need to do with The Kid's tail. It's Saddlebred-long and Saddlebred-thick, but old Hunter Princess that I am, I really don't *like* it dragging on the ground. So do I thin it or bang it?

Thanks!
    I never thought banging tails on hunters is a good look, but that is just my preference! I like them on a jumper though.

I do it on my retired horses as they have very long tails, and I don't want them dragging the tails in the mud.