The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit Keepers for a Fulmer???

Does anyone know where can I buy bit keepers that will fit on a fulmer? I have tried the ones in Dover and some other sites but they are too short and tend to pull on the bit instead of letting it hang naturally. Thanks everyone!

The bit keepers will always change how it hangs in the mouth, pulling the cheeks to a position more parallel with the bridle cheekpieces than they would naturally hang. That's supposed to be a feature.

If you want the bit to stay in its regular balance, you don't have to use the keepers.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Sorry, I meant that with the keepers on (and being too short) it pulls the headstall ring into the face. I cannot imagine that this is comfortable for the horse but like the stability of having the keepers. What does everyone else do? Right now, I have electrical tape standing in for keepers.

to my knowledge, fulmers do need extra long keepers. Meggie, google "fulmer loops", and you'll likely need to purchase overseas as fulmers are not popular in the USA. Do beware though, I've found that most people overseas call all full cheeks fulmers, you'll just have to pay strict attention. Perhaps arm yourself with a measurement of yours as well so you know what is too short.

Or, go to your local saddler/harness shop and have them made? Or, if you're handy, get a bit of thinner leather from craft store and have a go at stitching up a set for yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Or, go to your local saddler/harness shop and have them made? Or, if you're handy, get a bit of thinner leather from craft store and have a go at stitching up a set for yourself?
    I'd do this, if you've got one! We're lucky enough to have a good leather repair man, who is very familiar with tack.

Fit your bridle out with some bailing twine to figure out how long you want the loops, then take the ones you have and the measurements from your bailing twine experiment to the tailor and either have the short ones lengthened, or the hardware used to make proper length ones.

I just put my youngster in a Fulmer, and he loves it, so I wish you the same good luck with yours!
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Thanks for the suggestion of the saddle repair guy! I totally forgot abut him. I am sure he can whip up something for me in a matter of minutes! He is great and has made stuff from a drawing or picture before....

I searched for fulmer keepers before posting on here and was wondering about the terminology references....does seem like they refer to fulmers and full cheeks interchangably across the pond. Glad to see it was just not me. Plus, for the price of shipping from there to here would be WAY more than the cost of the keepers themselves!

Thanks again!! Happy Riding!

any decent tack shop sells keepers for a fulmar snaffle and if on using one then its surpose to have keepers with it otherwise its not being used i the correct manner be aware they fit only one way people do tend to have them on upside down so the keepers dont fit

look here at bits and bitting
    http://www.sustainabledressage.com/t...le.php#kineton

I used to work for Robert Hall. Didn't he invent the Fulmer? He did not use keepers with them.

The Fulmer jointed snaffle is similar to the full cheek, but with loose rings outside the cheeks to retain the communication found with a loose ring bit.

the fulmer cheek also prevents the bit from being able dragged through the horses mouth. This Fulmer snaffle has jointed mouthpiece that acts like a nutcracker on the bars, and will often contact with the horses palate
    Fulmer cheek bits are often used on young horses to aid steering, as the cheek gives a more positive action against the cheek when the rider asks for a turn. Fulmer and full cheek snaffles should be used with fulmer loops which secure the top of the bit to the cheekpieces to prevent the bit from rotating and leaving the cheeks pointing out which could pose a hazard. By securing the cheek, it also allows a very small amount of poll pressure to come into play, helping to encourage a lower outline.