The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CANTER MA- needs volunteers for track visits to Delaware Park

We are looking for volunteers to help with track visits on Saturday morning at Delaware Park. We try to go every Saturday morning so it would be nice to have enough people that the same people don't have to go all the time (that would be me). Time frame is anywhere between 7am-11am.

Send me a PM if interested and my email is also in my profile.

What, exactly, is involved? I might be able to help out, if I knew more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    What, exactly, is involved? I might be able to help out, if I knew more about it.
    I agree. Can you explain how people can help?

I'm not too far from DE Park and think CANTER is a great organization! I'm thrilled to hear the DE Park is now involved. Will Fair Hill be added in the future? That would be AWESOME!!!

In the future, I may be interested in helping with something like taking pictures or something along those lines. Is there anything that can be done from home? Right now, I have a lot of things on my plate right now- my husband is very sick with cancer & I have a baby, so I can't really commit to too much right now.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Basically, you'd have to sacrifice a few hours on Saturdays (in more established tracks with lots of volunteers, it's typically one saturday per month) to walk around the shedrows, talk to trainers, and take listings for their horses for sale. You take down the info, take photos, and then when you get home you send it all in to our webmaster

It's fun, if you can stand going to a giant candy store without bringing anything home.

The only hard thing about it is getting good pictures, heh.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Exactly what she said For the most part the trainers know who we are but I will make sure that anybody who is new goes around with someone experienced first to learn the ropes. We have had the best luck working from around 7-10am on Saturday mornings. I start at barn 1 and work my way around just stopping in asking if anyone has horses they would like to list. If they don't know about our program then I will talk to them about what we do. When they have horses to list they bring them out quick. You have to be able to be ready to get pictures quickly as they are in a hurry.

I like to have two people at minimum as the trainers talk and it helps to have one person writing info and the other taking the picture. If you would rather not talk to people then you can be the person who takes the pictures. My hubby is pretty shy so he does the picture taking and I do all the talking Wear comfortable shoes (lots of walking) and clothes you don't mind getting dirty.

Basic rules or rules that I follow :
    - try not to comment! I know this is hard but we will work with anyone so if the horse is skinny, lame or has something else think it but don't say it.

- don't touch the horses. Your natural instinct is to want to touch them but we don't want to spread anything to anybody elses barn or our own horses.

- don't go into barns uninvited. I always make eye contact first and ask if they have a minute to talk.

- always walk on the inside of the shedrow and heads up at all times. I have almost gotten kicked twice now and I was paying attention.

Other than that try not to want to bring home anything I upload my photos to flickr and then write up descriptions of the horse and a link to the picture to send to the webmaster. I would be happy to talk to anyone about what we do and you are welcome to come and see if you would enjoy it with no pressure of repeat visits.

If anyone is on the fence about helping out - it is worth doing it! I volunteer for CANTER NE and love being at the track - yes it does take away your Saturday morning but think of all the good you are doing . It's not hard and can be rather fun & I highly recommend it !!

(actually there is a hard part - trying to convince yourself that you do not need another horse nor can you afford another horse !)
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I would love to!

PM sending ASAP
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    - try not to comment! I know this is hard but we will work with anyone so if the horse is skinny, lame or has something else think it but don't say it.
    Good thing to put number #1. The racetrack is an insular world in part because the people live a life that is hard for nine to fivers and owners of horse pets to comprehend. Remember that you are an ambassador to this world and a little diplomacy will go far for Canter and the horses. Besides most of these horses get incredible care and it just might be what one person thinks of as thin is actually racing fit and then you just make Canter look dumb by making a stink about it.

On the positive side, the backside is a lot of fun and most people really like horses or they find something easier to do. Compliment a horse's turnout and watch the groom beam. Its a hard life but the best ones get a lot of satisfaction out of making their horses look the best they can.

I assume you mean MD- not MA- because that would be Massachusetts - and would require a bit more than a few hours?

Pronzini- I would agree 100%. Our business was based out of Delaware Park for many years so I feel like I grew up on the backside. I love racing and for the most part I do believe these horses get the best of care while they are at the track.

Racehorses are much different than riding horses. At our farm we would alway argue on ways to do things- the track vs pony club vs show world. Made for some fun arguments but a broad education.

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I assume you mean MD- not MA- because that would be Massachusetts - and would require a bit more than a few hours?
    That stands for CANTER Mid Atlantic and we are talking about Delaware Park which is located in Stanton, Delaware.

Just like canter for suffolk is CanterNE

I initially thought the same thing, since I am from NH and MA means Mass, but realized the MA in this case stood for Mid atlantic!

Count Bob (Weber) and I IN. I've PM's you my cell number so we can make arrangements.

Who else is going saturday? I will be there ;] I am excited to say the least ..

I do not need another horse .. i do not need another horse .. i cannot buy another horse
    I am going to need some help in that department. especially with both my horses currently out of commision.. hmmmmm

I'm not too worried that I'll start bringing them home. At this point, with Caroline leaving for college and Liz leaving for vet school, I'm out of both time and money... But we can spend an occasional Saturday talking to trainers and taking photos.

im not worried about taking them all home. im worried about taking one home. I have found myself subconsciously searching CANTER and other sites. Saturday would have been my beloved mare's 21st birthday, and sunday marks the one year mark of her death. And everyone keeps warning me to stay away from any chestnut mares while I am at the track this weekend

thanks to her, there will always be a special place in my heart and in my barn for chestnut thoroughbred mares

I'm interested in going to assist, I can take photos too.
    I can't go every week but I think I can go often enough to be helpful. It's 30 minutes from my house and I grew up next to the track, close enough to walk to it.

I live in south east Chester County, PA. You can email me at Barnmom45@aol.com

I would like to help. I will send you a PM.