The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vitamin E and selenium powder supplement

I have been using the version by Horse Health Products, by Farnam. Does anyone know if they have reformulated this product? The horse who is getting it came to us this spring with a few buckets of this which was in a white powder base. It seems like they have changed it to an alfafa base and I think upped the price per dose significantly. But I need to recheck my math on this so take that with a grain of salt.

Does anyone know if the powder version is still made? I tried to call Farnam but ran out of minutes.

If another thread is out there on this would someone be so kind as to point the way to it.

Thanks

I do not know about the Farnum product but I used the Elevate and love it.....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Maybe try SmartPak? They have a dozen different E/Se formulations or so.
    Click here before you buy.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Something seems to have happened to the price of Vitamin E within the last six months or so. Several supplements with it as an ingredient have either increased in price or increased the price. Sounds like maybe more is going on in the OP's case since she said it used to be white and I wouldn't expect something with an alfalfa base to be white.
    The Evil Chem Prof

There's a Horse Health version, it has a purple and white container, and a Farnam version, in green and white. I compared labels and they were almost word for word similar, ingredients, dose, etc. I bought the Horse Health product and it is in crumbles form but they are both advertised as that form.

Yes, we have the purple and white containers too. The one I bought in May is labeled "powder", while the recently purchased batch is "crumbles" and is formulated as an alfafa based supplement.

I should probably call Smart Pak--that was a good suggestion. I just don't want to expend alot of energy looking for the old version if it is no longer made. So far he seems unaffected by the new version. Being a free lease I feel obligated to follow the owner's request or make a good faith effort at least.

Thanks everyone.

It is not that ingredients are different between those two the problem is they use synthetic Vit E which is not readily bioavailable. The natural "E" is 95% bioavailable and the synthetic is about 10%..Checkout Elevate WS or the maintenance powder, which is the cheaper of the 2.....Much more effective and absorbable.....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Selenium yeast and seleniomethionine are the much more readily bioavailable forms. Some horses do better on one than the other.

www.feedmark.com (based in Florida but they'll ship to you) the product is called VitaSel E and is a powdered product.

Just make sure you know how much Se is in a scoop and in a serving (which might be multiple scoops) to make sure you aren't wasting your $$.

Also, if it doesn't say what form of Se it is, assume it's an inorganic form that is highly non-bioavailable.