The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Salon.com article on Slaughter (no trainwrecks please!)

http://www.salon.com/env/feature/200...er/index1.html
    Given the mass market appeal of Salon (albeit to a slightly green constituency), how do you feel about the content of this article? My thoughts were that it did provide a balanced look at most of the elements surrounding the issue, as well as offering potential solution, all accessible and not scary to the average person (I think...).

Thoughts?
    (Please ask me about my $100-instead-of-auction horse!)

P.S. I <3 Temple Grandin.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I thought the article was pretty balanced, and I am glad the writer contacted Temple Grandin.

I thought the letters were very interesting, and much more cerebral than the typical responses to articles on this subject. No doubt reflecting the IQ of Salon readers (both pro and anti-slaughter). Very refreshing and thanks for posting that. No easy answers and both sides make very valid points.

(One of my horses is a reject, too. You wanna get together and compare vet and feed bills?)

I have to say, my $100 reject is the cheapest equine I have ever owned. I make MYSELF feel good with supplements, but he is 33, eats like a champ, no health issues aside from being prone to an eye ulcer, barefoot (loves his easy boot gloves!). I also baby him with blankets and such. So bare bones he is a budget animal- sane and sound all the while. I keep hoping he;ll rub off on my TB....
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I thought that was one of the better articles I've read on the topic. I agree that both sides were well presented.

Well-written article and interesting letters. I'm currently reading Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin, so that was a nice tie-in for me. Thanks for posting this.

I found it interesting that the AVMA and AQHA commented about the overabundance of horses, when at least with the AQHA, they get income from more foals being born, thus registered. If their breeders slowed down and produced less foals, to balance or reduce the overabundance, AQHA would take a hit financially. They want slaughter to dispose of all their breeders culls! Sad comment about AQHA ethics imo and a conflicting statement.

From the article...."But a slaughter ban, backed by the Humane Society of the United States, and countless horse advocates, faces opposition from many livestock and horse-industry groups, including the American Veterinary Medical Association and American Quarter Horse Association. They say a ban skirts the bigger problem of dealing with America's abundance of unwanted horses, which number well over 100,000 a year. The slaughter industry, they maintain, offers a humane and economical way to dispose of horses."