The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scammer from Craigslist

We listed our bush hog for sale on CL a few weeks ago ( it has been sold) and immediately received the following response to our ad:

I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you to consider
    it sold,Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid
    disturbance,anyways I don't have time to come over to take a look
    because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the
    shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a mover,
    hence I'll be sending a check and it will be delivered to you via
    United Parcel Service, so I'll need you to provide me with the
    following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.
    givdonking007: 1.full name on the check.
    2.Full Physical address to post the check
    3.City, State and Zip Code
    4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
    AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
    responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
    you have cashed the check,N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box
    addresses.

YEAH RIGHT: Can't wait to see how much the shipping on that is going to run.

I replied the following and attached the hilarious photo of Hogzilla that has circulated around on the internet. It is so strange but I never heard back from the guy.

Thank you for the appreciation of my responding to your responding to my email. I am so happy that you are going to purchase my item. You will be so happy with it. We have had many years of fun chasing hogs through the bush with it. Do you like hogs? I attached a picture of our son with the last hog we caught with our bush hog.

My contact info is as follows:

FBI Fraud Investigation Unit
    P.O. Box 10956
    Washington, D.C. 20001
    (201) 926-8026 home

Take care.

Great response! Glad you weren't duped by the scam but you seem too clever by far for that to happen.

Love it!!
    I wonder Who does respond to those?

I am in law enforcement...

You have no idea how many idiots out there respond to scammers and then come crying to us to help them when they lose money or item or their identity is stolen.

I so badly want to say, "Your (money or property or identity) was stolen because you are an idiot and you deserve it. Hope you learned your lesson this time."

Instead, I just kill a tree, take a report and go on with my day feeling a little happier that I was blessed with common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Weighaton View Post
    We listed our bush hog for sale on CL a few weeks ago ( it has been sold) and immediately received the following response to our ad:

I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you to consider
    it sold,Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid
    disturbance,anyways I don't have time to come over to take a look
    because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the
    shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a mover,
    hence I'll be sending a check and it will be delivered to you via
    United Parcel Service, so I'll need you to provide me with the
    following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.
    givdonking007: 1.full name on the check.
    2.Full Physical address to post the check
    3.City, State and Zip Code
    4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
    AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
    responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
    you have cashed the check,N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box
    addresses.

YEAH RIGHT: Can't wait to see how much the shipping on that is going to run.

I replied the following and attached the hilarious photo of Hogzilla that has circulated around on the internet. It is so strange but I never heard back from the guy.

Thank you for the appreciation of my responding to your responding to my email. I am so happy that you are going to purchase my item. You will be so happy with it. We have had many years of fun chasing hogs through the bush with it. Do you like hogs? I attached a picture of our son with the last hog we caught with our bush hog.

My contact info is as follows:

FBI Fraud Investigation Unit
    P.O. Box 10956
    Washington, D.C. 20001
    (201) 926-8026 home

Take care.
    Love it. Those darn scammers... hate them!

Default Free Bricks

I had the same kind of email when I posted an ad for Free Bricks.

We received a strange response talking of sending a money order, blah blah blah.. in that odd English. Yes, a scam.

FREE, I said. Keep your money. FREE. We received no response to our good offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine Farmer View Post

We received a strange response talking of sending a money order, blah blah blah.. in that odd English. Yes, a scam.

What a bunch of ingrates!

So how was the reply to the Original Posters ad in any way an attempt of Identity Theft? All they asked for was the same info available in a telephone book? They did NOT ask for SS#, D/L#, etc. They also did NOT say they were paying via cashiers check nor indicate that any excess funds would be involved.

A far better response would have been to houmer them but require CASH prior to release of the equipment. Their "mover" can pay by cash when they arrive or they can send cash via registered mail prior to equipment release.

Granted they may have been a scammer but what if there is a .05% they were not - why take the chance. A cash required response is quicker that the sarcastic response anyway.
    If you really think about it, what can you blame on a horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerine Farmer View Post

Oh dahling...: always post those on your local Freecycle.org board. You'd be amazed at what people will accept when it's offered for free

So, Weighaton: Any response from the riff-raff? I always like to see how far along someone can string them.... enjoying great laughter along the way.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by Taken By Storm View Post
    So how was the reply to the Original Posters ad in any way an attempt of Identity Theft? All they asked for was the same info available in a telephone book? They did NOT ask for SS#, D/L#, etc. They also did NOT say they were paying via cashiers check nor indicate that any excess funds would be involved.

A far better response would have been to houmer them but require CASH prior to release of the equipment. Their "mover" can pay by cash when they arrive or they can send cash via registered mail prior to equipment release.

Granted they may have been a scammer but what if there is a .05% they were not - why take the chance. A cash required response is quicker that the sarcastic response anyway.
    seriously?

Why would it be better to humor them when it's so blatantly obvious they're a scammer and follow just about every "rule"* in the book for scammers?

I know some cases are less obvious than others, but this is one of the most obvious ones I've seen recently.

It's not an attempt to steal identity, but an attempt to get money, plain and simple. Though it's not detailed in the original email, my guess is that after responding, the person's next email would include the bit about sending a cashier's check for greater than the price, and to please send the extra to the shipper, thanks.

There's 0 chance in this case, I think, that it's legit. I've seen some that could be legit, just written really badly, but this isn't one of them.

* the rules: Strange syntax/language (the only thing this one didn't do was end random sentences with "OK"). Asking for all contact information in that manner. Asking person to remove their ad from CL/ebay/whatever RIGHT AWAY!.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I've got a nice bridge for sale, but I only take cash.

Seriously??? Have you taken any internet safety classes? I know ebay has them. Or used to, back when it was fun....
    Even if there were a .05% chance of not being a scammer I would not do business with them. Buyers that make demands before they see an item are going to be a hassle. Just my HO.
    They said nothing about the actual item, a bushog, but wanted it removed from the CL immediatley. (I can't spell) It looks like an email from 'Scamming 101'.
    I have copied the Fraud investigation address, just for the heck of it.
    Just old and cynical.

Ugh I get those all the time.

I just searched my email and can't find it but there was one where the guy said he lived in England and was sending his kid to Tallahassee on holiday and he wanted him to take lessons 3 hours a day 6 days per week and his kid would have a 'driver' take him around. The kid is 14 and "loves your craft and wants to excell in the subject" and blah blah blah.

I ignore them but I like that response you had.

I had one guy recently email me asking about boarding :

I will like to know if you can board my lovely pet with you as from April 25th till May 25th.I have a Saddled bred of Horse he is 4 years old,he will bring over his negative coggins with him when he comes over to commence his boarding with you,kindly get back with your availability.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a real guy asking but... it sounded a bit too fishy. When I emailed him back with questions about the horse, he didn't respond.
    Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Though it's not detailed in the original email, my guess is that after responding, the person's next email would include the bit about sending a cashier's check for greater than the price, and to please send the extra to the shipper, thanks.

That's exactly right. "I'm sending $5,000 in cashiers check. Please cash it and take what is yours and get another cashiers check for the driver and shipper"
    Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

Default Craigslist

Can we see the picture of the last hog you bushed?

Just an update - no response from the scammer but we sold the bushhog to a nice man from New Orleans who had a farm in Mississippi.

Oh and the address for the Fraud Investigation Unit was made up. I just threw it in there for laughs. The photo of the hog was hilarious. I think I got if from snopes.com under hogzilla. I cc'd my entire family and they all got a good laugh.
    Last edited by Weighaton; Jul. 22, 2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: **

I would suggest you don't try to sell anything over the internet.

And on that note-
    http://www.419baiter.com
    Site is NSFW, but sure is hi-larious. Some people devote a LOT of time to stringing these guys along.

I got some of those emails when I had a high priced item on Ebay. There are a lot of people with spare time on their hands looking to scam people on line and even worse in person. I was leary when I rec'd these responses as well.

These folks are not out to buy anything, just looking to find a way to gather info; whether it be an address or get a face to face meeting, which I would be very concerned about. Even if the OP said cash, here is the address to pick the item up, it is still giving out an address to a stranger who could case the home out. I am not as convinced that there is even a .05 % chance of it being legit...

Quote Originally Posted by mlranchtx View Post
    I am in law enforcement...

You have no idea how many idiots out there respond to scammers and then come crying to us to help them when they lose money or item or their identity is stolen.

I so badly want to say, "Your (money or property or identity) was stolen because you are an idiot and you deserve it. Hope you learned your lesson this time."

Instead, I just kill a tree, take a report and go on with my day feeling a little happier that I was blessed with common sense.

that's pretty much what we tell them. There is no crime committed by asking these people for money, which is what the alleged "scammers" are doing. Is it right to do it? No. Is it nice? No. But as PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. People's greed gets the better of them, and greed and stupidity can be very expensive. A fool and his money are soon parted.
    We tell them it's civil, and to contact an attorney and the admin of whatever site (craigslist, ebay, whatever).
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin