The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Shadbelly v Hunter Shadbelly

What is the difference between the shadbelly you buy for dressage and the one you buy for the hunters? The local is doing a 3' hunter derby and I have been lobbied to enter my eventer. They are encouraging shadbellies. I have the shadbelly I wear for the dressage phase of a HT. Will this look stupid in a hunter derby? It is navy with yellow points.

Dressage shads have weighted tails, h/j don't - the tails fly free over fences.

Should I just nick a few stitches in the seam and slide the weights out and then put them back in the next time I use it in dressage?

That seems much more logical than buying a new one! I don't know enough about the weights (or about sewing) to know if this is easily done on one's own, or if it would be better left to a tailor. Good luck in the derby -- I hope you have fun!

Fun is the goal. They are trying to get lots of support, so I thought I would dress the part if I can. My horse will love it. He is a beautiful jumper. I am the only think that stands in the way of greatness.

My first shad was a dressage one. I was a jr and my mom just thought it was a necessity, but i did. it was only $100. the weights really didnt make a difference, they still flew around, i guess you would say... actually i liked them better because they didnt flap as crazy... the only thing i didnt like, was the shad had gold buttons. only other difference was the points were actually attached to the coat, so when it was unbuttoned, one point was on one side, and the other on the other side, but when it was buttoned, no one could tell. so all i did was replace the ugly gold buttons with black. 5 min and costs me 5 bucks.
    P=N
    If you run out of patience, you run out of nice.

So funny that you mention the gold buttons. My shad does have gold buttons iirc.

I have been seeing the new GPA coats in the hunter ring and I mentioned to a girlfriend that I could wear my dressage coat as it is the same cut. She said, "Yes, but it has those ugly gold buttons."

My coat actually has pewter buttons, but what is with the aversion to gold buttons?

The buttons & actually the cut of the tails is a little different too. And sometimes the tail lining is different material--I've seen dressage ones lined with a leather like material & hunter shads are fabric.

But if it's for a local (I am guessing the F&F Hunter Derby?) & fun, why not wear it? And honestly, if they have you guys out jumping on the grass field how up close is anybody really going to be anyway? The worst that will happen is somebody will say "that's a dressage shadbelly".
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

The "tails" on a hunter shadbelly are shorter than those on a dressage shadbelly (Dressage tails hit at the back of the knee, hunter tails hit above the knee). Dressage shadbellys have the weighted tails. Also, the buttons on a dressage shadbelly angle in from top to bottom whereas hunter shadbelly buttons are in straight rows up and down. Hunter shadbellys have matching buttons (navy or black), and do not have gold buttons.

The shadbelly makers must have come up with that so everyone had to buy two... i am sure of it!!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    The shadbelly makers must have come up with that so everyone had to buy two... i am sure of it!!
    But you need to have two hunter shads now; one with a colored lining and one without. Just like you need a hunter, derbyhorse, jumper, & an eq horse because one horse can't possibley do all those things anymore.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

dressage shads are also very tightly tailored , so there is little room for release

It is easy enough to alter out buttons but more challenging to find arm release
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

My dressage shad, has leather lined tails too.

I can't remember what the lining is on mine. I had one with leather and one without and sold one, but can't remember which.

So what is the scoop on the requirement for two different linings? Formal shad v super formal shad, or just so everyone knows you have two coats? ;-)

Grrr, the room for release might be a problem. Might need to jump in it before I show in it. Yes, PP, the F&F Derby.

The leather lining on the dressage shads I believe is to keep the tails from getting nasty sweaty from the sides of the horse (since they are weighted & longer).

Have fun in the Derby! I thought it sounds like fun! I've always wanted to go canter around the grass field there & hop up/down the bank.

Duh! Really goes to show how badly you can mis-read something. As to the two linings...totally did not get that you meant leather and cloth. Thought you meant black fabric and some other color fabric. Got it now. Honestly, I don't think the tails of my shad touched anything but the saddle pad.

Just looked at the photos. The very ends occasionally laid on the horses flanks/loin. Can't say that I ever took any soap to the lining, but I'll bet my dry cleaner was charging me a few $$$$ extra for the leather lining.

Quote Originally Posted by Gry2Yng View Post
    Honestly, I don't think the tails of my shad touched anything but the saddle pad.
    And thus the development of the square pad!

I learned a few things on this thread. I thought the only difference was the color of the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gry2Yng View Post
    Thought you meant black fabric and some other color fabric. Got it now. Honestly, I don't think the tails of my shad touched anything but the saddle pad.
    I think it is actually black vs colored. Black for Devon/Indoors/Etc, colored for any smaller show needing a shadbelly (I'd love a pink lined one!)

Then you also need many colored points- canary for formalwear, coordinating plaid to match your lining, or paisley (I love paisley!)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

sooo...how was the Derby? I heard there were 40+.

Did you end up wearing your shad & did you have fun?

most of the dressage shads i see have gold or silver buttons on them, which looks pretty silly in the hunter ring. if yours has black or navy buttons (whatever color your shad is) then go ahead and wear it. or if they do have gold buttons, and you dont have a dressage show very soon after the derby, try replacing the buttons with some matching black or navy ones. also if i recall correctly, something is different about the tails for each, like they have weights in dressage ones or something

if this is the only hunter classic/derby you plan on doing for a long time, don't bother buying a new shad. pull out your white shirt and black or navy hunt coat and youll be fine.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3