The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boots for horse with chunky legs: help, please!

No doubt the horse doesn't feel the need for boots, but I'd like to find him some that fit - so far, so bad.

I bought a very handsome set of Dalmar boots from a nice person here on COTH, but they don't *quite* fit, so I figured I may as well sell them if/when I can find something that fits him.

He's got very solid bone and nice big fetlocks, and standard large boots don't have enough circumference, eg Woofs.

And...he's not particularly long in the bone, so oversize...I dunno, I suspect they may be too tall for him.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer close-front vs open-front, and full boots behind, not fetlock boots. Leather or synthetic, decent quality, quick-ish buckles, etc.

You could try the Eskadron XC boots. I have a set that are too big for any of my horses (who do fit the dalmars well), so maybe they would work.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

N.E.W. offers a cob size for their boots. They are wider but without the extra height of XLs that others offer. You should check them out.

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/..._f_horses.html

Have you tried Woof XW boots? I have a pair of XW mediums for my solid-boned TB, and a friend of mine got them for her Percheron that events. They aren't any taller than regular Woofs, but they are wider in circumference.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Thanks for all the useful suggestions!

scubed - you suggested the Eskadrons, so I was looking at them via Dover; which ones were you suggesting from these:

http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/...&ids=783204877

And ditto the same question, really, for WNT:

http://www.woofwear.com/

Donkey - I found the N.E.W. you suggested on that website - thanks.

The Original line, both the single-lock and double-lock come in the MXW. They didn't have a LXW though.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me