The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pentosan vs. Adequan vs. Anything Else

Has anyone here used pentosan? I know it came up a few weeks ago, but I thought I would put it back out there to see if there are any updates. I found a video done by a vet at colorado state that suggested it is better than adequan for horses with minor joint disease in that the effect remains after you finish the course.
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    Has anyone here used pentosan? I know it came up a few weeks ago, but I thought I would put it back out there to see if there are any updates. I found a video done by a vet at colorado state that suggested it is better than adequan for horses with minor joint disease in that the effect remains after you finish the course.
    We used to use it all of the time as part of an Adequan/Legend course. Is it back on the market? The former market name was Palosein (pentosan polysulfate). It is a superoxide dismutase (anti-oxidant) that can supress the inflammation while allowing the Adequan/Legend/IGF-1 to access the joint structures.

Reed

It's available now, though I am not sure how much. Under what circumstances is it worth the trouble and expense?
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    It's available now, though I am not sure how much. Under what circumstances is it worth the trouble and expense?
    For us it depended on the horse. Some responded really well, while others didn't. Maybe just try it out if you can.

We also had a few that worked better with one than the other. I would say, try one for a while and if that doesn't work try the other for a while.

Not a vet but just a suggestion as to what worked for us in the past.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I used palosein on my horse back when it was briefly available, and I can honestly say it was a miracle drug. Insanely effective and broke a cycle of inflammation that we had not been able to get ahead of for months.

Funny, my vet said his experience was similar - some horses showed little to no benefit and a few were like Lazarus Rising from the Dead. That was about the category my horse fell into. He went from non stop ouchy with egg bars to ripping around so hard and bucking and playing on the lunge line, tearing off both shoes in the process, and then staying sound barefoot...

Reed, my understanding is/was that it is still app'd for limited (horse/dog) use in the US, but that no major manufacturer is producing it/distributing it?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Default Clarification.

Just want to make the distinction...

Palosein, aka Orgotein, is a metalloprotein with superoxide dismutase activity and is administered as an IA, SC, or IM injection for treatment of arthritis.

Pentosan polysulfate is a macromolecule, not an enzyme, and is FDA approved as an oral medication to treat symptoms of interstitial cystitis, or painful bladder syndrome, but apparently has poor bioavailability when taken orally. PPS is being researched as a potential therapy for arthritis since it's an inhibitior of aggrecanases, enzymes which proteolyze aggrecans, a major component of cartilage. It can be administered IA or IM and this injectable form, I believe, can only be aquired as Pentosan Equine from a supplier in Australia. I'm not sure if it's licensed here in the US or not. I'm guessing not.
    Wow. We're just blowing through nap time, aren't we?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

well crap, that sucks. I was deeply and seriously excited about having palosein available again.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.