The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Charles owen GR8 helmet dye: They replaced the helmet! :D

So I bought a charles owen less then a year ago and I jst purchased a nice white essex show shirt. The helmet has only been used for showing.

Well yesterday it was pouring rain for most of the day, and I was riding in it, and of course i had forgotten my rain coat. But any ways I was riding/going around without my jacket for a while and when I took my helmet off with my bare hands i had noticed that they were all black so i went and cleaned them and then proceeded to take off my show shirt only to realised that it was covered in black dye!

My mom is taking it to the dry cleaners to see if there is any hope for it, but right now I am furious with charles owen, and I am screwed because I have no white show shirt and I am showing again next weekend and I guess I have to go blow another $150 on a show shirt which I really had not planned to be needing another one.

Any one else encounter this problem?
    Last edited by sansibar; Jul. 7, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

I've had mine for awhile now and have shown in torrential downpours with it and it has never bled over anything.

I have ridden in my GR8 in the pouring rain plenty of times and have never had the slightest bit of an issue. That's very odd.

Oh yeah, and not just with the GR8 -- I switched back to the Hampton because I got tired of the goofy "5 o'clock shadow" look I was getting from the dye in the GR8's harness, but I just discovered that if I'm really sweating, the black padding under the shell of the Hampton will leach dye out onto the collar of my shirt. (In every case I've been able to get the black out, so I hope your cleaners will be equally successful.) I do sweat a lot, and I adore my CO helmets, but the problem is starting to piss me off mightily.

I rode in torrential rain with my Charles Owen GR8 and I didn't have a problem. I didn't notice any dye coming off of the helmet and it dried out with a day.
    Smileys, the internet's botox

sansibar-

i have ridden in torrential downpours, and even taken a head first mudbath with my GR8. only once has it leaked dye, and then it was not very much, just a little bit on my collar. you should return the helmet, stating the situation, and see if they can/will fix it, or get u a new helmet. its all worth a shot

Dye your shirt black and start a new trend!

So the exact same happened to me. I got dye on my face too. Great for homecoming and all. But my mom talked to the peps at farmhouse to see how we could prevent it from happening again. But they then offered to return the helmet and replace the show shirt. Great customer service at charles owen! just give them a call

What kind of footing do you generally ride in?

I've had similar problems but attributed it to fine dust from the black footing that was all trapped up in the fabric covering. It came off my face/hands/clothes with just soap and water though.
    -Grace

I've never had that issue and I've ridden in downpours as well. I've also never had an issue with black dye from my hampton or GR8.

I would contact the store that you bought the GR8 from and talk to them.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

ya I am going to the tack store tomorrow to see what they can do. I have been trying to e-mail charles owen but each e-mail has been bounced back. Also the only cleaner on the helmet was the CO cool foaming stuff.

I hope I can get this issue solved.

They cleaners have the shirt right now, so I hope it comes out clean. My mom took photos of it so i'm trying to get them on the computer, but her camera skills are not great lol.

I have the J3 jockey skull and have the same problem. The chinstrap is black leather, and when I sweat I get black dye all over my face. I only clean it with the CO helmet cleaner. I've emailed them but never heard back. Maybe I should email Bit of Britain where I got it from. I've had the helmet over a year.

Yikes! That is terrible!

My GR8 runs onto the back of my collar nearly every horse show (yep, I sweat a lot). I wash all my show shirts in the washing machine and it usually comes out. After one particularly bad stain, I soaked the ends of the collar in oxi-clean. It was sparkly clean.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Never had a problem with mine or any of the ones in my barn (4 I think at last count?). Very strange. Good luck! Buy a cheap white shirt until you get the problem fixed!
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

It is still bleeding, I was just wiping it with a towel and the towel is grey now, it is over 24 h since it was in the rain, and has been out in the air drying.

I would call Charles Owens directly and explain the situation and I'm sure they would replace the helmet and maybe even your shirt. Going directly to the tack shop you bought it at is a good idea and they could replace it on the spot. I have a CO as well and have never had that problem, thank god! Your poor shirt looks awful =( Good luck!
    The Branded Bear
    Personalized + creative saddle pads for the hunter/jumper enthusiast. Check us out

Thumbs down

update: the shirt is ruined the cleaners could not get the colouring out , so we are bringing it to the tack store tomorrow and hopefully we can figure out a solution since I am showing this weekend. eek.

I was using mine just for shows, but I recently decided to use it for schooling too (it's so much more comfortable than my IRH). Anyhoo, rode yesterday and the dye bled all over the collar of my white polo shirt. Boo!

I was at my local tack shop with my girlfriend and she suggested I ask the manager about it. They immediately replaced my helmet! Thank you, Saddlers Row! You rock!!!!!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Wow. I've never had or heard of this problem... but it could be that I don't pay enough attention. Sorry to hear about your helmet!