The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Lexington, KY

Unhappy Paso Fino Mare- Lexington, KY

Anybody interested in a project Paso Fino? My dear wild and red-headed Sugar needs her own person through no fault of her own, but that of the humans in her life.

My relationship of over 4 years has tanked and due to my job situation I really need to downsize my life a bit in order to keep a roof over my kids' heads and manage to hang onto my heart horse, Belle, whom I've had for over 5 years and have totally rehabbed and retrained. I am nearly to a degree in a field that is being hard hit by the economy and I can't find a good paying job right now, I work two part time jobs currently. I will probably have to pick up another if I don't find a decent paying full time job soon... which means even less time for the horses. Belle is fine sitting in a field, but Sugar still needs regular work (and she's not getting any from me right now in my state of mind *sigh*)

Sugar needs more attention and she is very green at 9 years old due to her lack of any formal training, being a broodmare, and the starvation/neglect situation she came from last year. Sugar's rescue was documented on COTH last April in the thread " So we rescued a horse…caution politically incorrect references to in breeding…" Unfortunately it got purged in the COTH upgrades, but I do have it all in a document and would be happy to pass it on to her new owner as part of her history. After Sugar's rescue and 3 week initial rehab by her rescuer, she was a Giveaway here and I brought her home to finish getting her back in good weight and healthy. I had expected to finish out her training and get her on the trail and keep her as a horse to ride since my daughter has taken to Belle.

I want her to go to a good home who is used to a hot PF as she can be silly and temperamental at times, she really is just a youngster in a 9 year old body! She just needs time, knowledge, and patience and is already a lot better than she was a year ago and that is with me barely working her at all.

She is a super easy keeper who ideally needs a dry lot and well managed rations to keep her from going over the edge into laminitis. She is currently wearing a muzzle on a small lot for 12 hours overnight and comes in for a meal of soaked beet pulp and soaked hay for 12 hours during the day. This is keeping her weight off and the heat out of her feet.

Sugar's registered name is "Amorosa de Agape" she is 9 this year and about 14hh. She is located in Lexington, KY, and is used to children, dogs, a busy barn area, and has been around goats for a short period of time. She can be led over tarps and ridden over ground poles and seems to be a bit interested in low jumps. Has a lovely corto, can get collected enough for a fino, and has a cute and fast canter. Don't know about the largo as I don't even know how to ask her for one.

I would prefer a non-breeding home as there are already plenty of horses out there who need homes and I think Sugar will make a great trail horse someday with work I would also like to keep her within three hours drive of Lexington so if things don't work out, I can come get her. I would also love to be able to visit her if things go well in her new home.

She is a give away with a good faith "comes back to me" contract with registration papers forthcoming after 6 months in her new home to make sure it will all work out.

See her pics here:

Please PM me or email me at if you want more info or to come out and meet Sugar.

Thanks, Shannon
    ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Watertown TN

Default paso fino

Oh I have a great friend that has been wanting a paso and they are wonderful with horses. I will pass this info along!
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

exodusfarm Guest

Did you find a home for Sugar yet? Try Asbury college, I believe the contact if Harold Rainwater, they take donations such as her. Also, the fellow that used to be president of Equestation Ministries International has pasos in he is in Shelbyville.

Lexington, KY

BUMPING... Sugar is still looking for a home

Don't want to do a college donation, Sugar needs one person to pay attention to her. I think part of her problem is that she probably never had a chance to bond with anyone.
    ~ Shannon Hayden ~