The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Double judged shows?

It's been a long time since I've done any hunter classes, so this may be common and I just missed it. At a MHA (Maine Horse Association) AA show last weekend, many of the classes were "double judged." I know in higher dressage shows they'll have a couple judges and give the average of the scores, but at this HJ show each judge scored and placed the riders individually, so the riders received two different ribbons for one class. My mom spoke with a woman who handed out ribbons at the show and she said a lot of the time 1st and 2nd place would be the same between the judges, but sometimes it would be really far off. One girl got 1st from one judge and 5th from the other.

Is this type of judging common? I don't really see the point of it. I like the idea of having two different judges, especially in a flat class where it's hard for one judge to see everything that's going on at once, but I would think it would make more sense to have the scores either combined or averaged.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

The AQHA and APHA and I believe the mini organizations have been doing this for years and years.

You get more show points without the travel.

Default This was started with the breed shows....

To help the people up north where you could only have shows 6 months out of the year spend as much money showing as the people down south spent with their year round showing... That way everyone had a shot at getting enough points to make it to finals for different divisions...
    Personally I like the way, to my understanding, at least, the Medal and Maclay, handle it. If you live in a cold weather zone and only show there, you don't need as many points to qualify for the year end classes and shows...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

They do this at the hunter breeding shows I go to and personally I don't like it. You can't really understand why you were placed a certain way when you beat them all under one judge and beat none under the other. It's just two different opinions on one thing. It is a way to get more points...
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Used to do this in the Paint world where they were called Paint o Ramas...I think they still do but maybe got a better name? I do not think USEF allows this on a national level so it was not a USEF AA rated???...probably just a local thing.

Anyway, you PAY twice (or even 3 times) too. One for each judge. You go in the ring once, have 2 scores, 2 ribbons (maybe) and 2 sets of points. But just one set of office and stall charges.

Why? Look, you can preach about points all you want but when you are in the business of breeding, selling and showing horses? You have got to produce results to market your product. We all agree pounding the horses is short sighted and not in their best interests, right? Well, this gets more points for more potential results without more shows.

For example, I was hauling a Western Riding horse (the pattern class, not horsemanship) and was able to hit about 40 "shows" one year...in about 15 weekends. So it works.

Now, as far as the drawbacks...well...when you suck....

Far as the results? Well, one sees the swap at the base and one does not so there is your difference in a good class.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

We used to do this once in a blue moon for IHSA in the Great White North. It made it easier to get the required number of shows in with less travel in the dead of winter, and less wear on the few hunt seat horses we could scrape up.

We didn't do it unless absolutely necessary, because if you had one bad round it could screw you for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Now, as far as the drawbacks...well...when you suck....
    Lol. When you suck, You KNOW it. TWICE. Gotta agree with you Find, it's a great idea to keep the pounding to a minimum.