The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New TB mare to breed to my stud.....TB pedigree expert help!!!

I just got this mare last night. She was given to me. She is gorgeous with great conformation. I think she'll make a great cross with my boy.

I'd like to know what the experts think of her pedigree!!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/pink+jade3

Thanks!!!!
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

I'm not anywhere close to a pedigree expert and I can tell you that her lines are classic.
    ...she's a thoroughbred, I'm sure she can run, jump and move well ; )

I don't really see any upfront standout names that make me go wow...there are some good names 4 and 5 generations back/overall her pedigree for a TB is average.....but if the mare looks good/moves well that is more important than what is on paper.
    Mostly what her pedigree tells me is who I would *not* breed her to. I would avoid Northern Dancer since she already has 3 crosses to him up front and Raise A Native, who throws a super jump but also some front leg confo and soundness issues so not a name you want to see linebred.......once is enough.....

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

IMO, the best things she has going for her are the sire's dam, Jadana, and the dam side, which is filled with nice horses. I adore her French and Argentine lines. Since your guy has some really lovely TB lines in the tail female Golden Gamble, you will be linebreeding on some really nice TBs like Donatello and Friar Marcus and Fairway and Feola and Bahram and Hyperion and many, many others. I'm not as fond of the Mr. P, but that wouldn't be a deal killer if the mare is nice enough.

On the other hand, I think Mr. P will make it much harder for her to get through a WB inspection.

In the Argentines, you actually have a line to Elf, along with Ksar and Tourbillon, which match up very nicely with the French horses on top.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I appreciate the help! I'm not only concerned about bloodlines. Mostly, just very interested in learning about them. She was free, and, honestly, I expected something not so great, but I got up there to get her, and she was gorgeous. Big mare with good confo, great topline for a racehorse/broodmare. She can move too! She's also super quiet and can be ridden easily.
    Jessica Bortner-Harris

Strawberry Road is a good name to have in there. Tough horse, raced all over the world till age 8.

I have seen a few Strawberry Roads who were good jumpers but really stood out for one reason -- they were honest triers.

Strawberry Road was a breathtaking mover! I always thought he would produce well in the sporthorse market. Not a Mr. P fan and with 3 crosses to ND, as mentioned, look for outcrosses there. Good luck!
    PennyG

Her pedigree looks like a fine example of classic Allen Paulson breeding. He was breeder of the top racemare Azeri, who was also by Jade Hunter.

If you'd like to look at her sire's stallion page, it's here:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-r...n=singlesearch

Well, she seems to have Strawberry Road's movement. She's a really nice mover, even with the fact that her feet look like crap right now. She's a big leggy mare.

The trainer/breeder I got her from said she has really classic lines. It seems that most of you agree.

I'm excited to see what she'll produce with my boy.
    Jessica Bortner-Harris

She is a very good example of how international TBs are. She's got English, French, Canadian, USA, NZ, Argentine, and Australian horses all close up. If the horses in her pedigree weren't superior, they wouldn't have been shipped around the world for breeding.

For a freebie, you certainly got a super deal.

Interesting. The breeder of record (which I checked with the JC, and is accurate on Pedigree Query) is Madeline Paulson. This name probably means little to most, but if I said she is now better known as Madeleine Pickens, wife of billionaire T. Boone Pickens, it might ring a few bells as the woman who was suppose to have a plan for all the unwanted mustangs.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/ta...leine-paulson/

Pedigree aside (though it's not a bad one, I actually like Mr. P for race prospects), she's a runner from a dam who produced other runners by a sire who also produced some nice horses (someone mentioned HOTY supermare Azeri). I'd say on paper she has to have heart. If I was breeding to keep and race and had a stallion in mind I'd breed for a racing prospect. I hope you have great fortune with her.

Just thought I'd add this: The mare Comely, dam of Pharly, is by Boran who was the sire of the French GP jumper and sire Laudanum. She is always an eye opener when found in a TB for sport pedigree.

Personally I am a fan of Jade Hunter, thanks in large part to Azeri. I was going to try to take my Private Accounts mare to him for next season, unfortunately I heard through the grape vine he is going to Old Friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Centaurian View Post
    As far as I am concerned, leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.