The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A Few Bandaging Questions...

So, in prepping for my H rating in Pony Club, I noticed that we are supposed to use sheet cottons and flannel wraps instead of pre-made ones that I find infinitely more useful (especially since we are using horses we don't know and therefore the whole custom fit thing doesn't apply). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my own wraps? I assume I am going to have to buy 3 yards of flannel and then cut into strips for the wraps (but then do I have to use my feeble sewing abilities to attach velcro?) And for the pillows do I get cotton batting like they use for quilts and then just layer until I have reached my desired thickness? (and do I use spray adhesive to attach the layers?)

Also, should spider wraps be made out of flannel as well? I have not found anywhere to buy them to look at and use as a template (I know they are oval with numerous strips on either side, but I forget how big they actually are). And, because I cannot find the answer anywhere else online... how long do wraps for knees and hocks have to be, and do I need a different kind (as far as length goes) of padding for them? When doing hocks I have always just done a regular standing wrap then put a long no-bow wrap so that it reaches 1/2 way down the cannon and up over the hock and then wrap in the figure-8 style... same with the knee.

Any other suggestions from people on the H/A rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Any answer you get from a BB will be wrong. The only person who can correctly answer these questions will be a USPC National Examiner. They have their own rules and ideas about these things. Find one and ask away. Do it EXACTLY as they tell you and you will be fine.

THEN, you can go back to using what everybody else does.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Buy the sheet cotton (BB star, I think) that comes in rolls from the tack store, and fold it into a quilt that is appropriate for the horse. Use like 6-8 sheets for each leg. And either buy or make flannel bandages, and use pins and tape to secure them. You may have to sew two ready made ones together as they are often not long enough. Practice a lot, these feel very different than the standard wraps to do. Remember--there is a reason for them, though! They are very adaptable to different size horses/ conditions, and because the flannel is not stretchy, much less likely to cause a bandage bow. Even if you never use them on your own horse, they are a good thing to learn how to use. Some old school racing/ show barns still won't use anything else.

The spider should be made of flannel. Sorry, I don't have a template either. I think it was probably 18 inches? long--like 15 strips. maybe. Use a quilt or more sheet cotton for the figure 8--AFAIK it's okay to use a knit wrap for that, you will probably need an extra long one. I think we also had to use padding to lift it away from the "injury".

Best thing you can do, honestly, is find an upper level pcer in your club/ region who (preferably one who has tested with the examiner) and ask them--or borrow their stuff--every examiner has slightly different preferences. Also USPC used to have, probably till does, a bandaging book which is really nice to have.

I STILL use cottons and flannels and SOME people say I am "so old school"-well, I happen to think you can get better wraps doing them the old way...
    BB Star cottons is correct. They come in a package. Pull them out and you'll find they are folded in 1/2. Open them out flat and layer them-3 or 4 usually plenty though I have no idea about Pony Club...then fold them together in 1/2 or 1/3s and roll them up.
    Buy cotton flannel by the yard. You need strips 6" wide, 9' long. Don't cut them, tear them. When you roll them, do them up reeeally tight. Again, what does PC like, use 2 diaper pins or masking tape. When you get to the end, fold the very end into a point and attach it. You need lots of practice and helpas Mary says, from a PCer in the know.

Can't help with the spider wrap.

My H was a few years ago now, but here's what I did (and I passed).

The point of sheet cotton and cheese cloth is that you custom make/alter your bandage on the spot at the rating to fit the horse you are given. It's really pretty simple after you practice a few times. I used regular 12' bandages with the velcro cut off and added pins and duct tape. About half of the people at my testing used flannels, and it did not correspond in any way to who passed. Your best bet is to find out who your examiners are and find out from others if they have preferences. I can think of a few who definitely do. If you can find pre-made 12' flannels (Dover) those are fine- no need to make your own. Just remember to cut off the velcro.

For my spider, I made it out of the same material that regular stretchy bandages are made out of. I got a bunch of it from the fabric store and made 4 different sizes. I also brought one made out of flannel, but did not use it.

For my figure 8, I used three track bandages sewn together with the ties cut off.

If you have any other questions, or want opinions, feel free to pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Valkyrie View Post
    So, in prepping for my H rating in Pony Club, I noticed that we are supposed to use sheet cottons and flannel wraps instead of pre-made ones that I find infinitely more useful (especially since we are using horses we don't know and therefore the whole custom fit thing doesn't apply).
    Really? I got my HA 10 years ago (give or take), and we were allowed to use either sheet cottons/flannels or store bought leg padding and slightly elasticized bandages. One of my students passed the HA about 4 years ago, and had the same requirements. Ask a National Examiner. I suspect that you will find that you don't absolutely have to use sheet cottons.

That said, sheet cottons (as other posters have said - BB Satin Star 12's, sold in a plastic bag) can be great. Get some and learn how to use them. Cover them in cheesecloth to make them easier to handle. I sewed the cheesecloth on mine, but a friend of mine used spray adhesive on hers. MUCH easier her way.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Valkyrie View Post
    Also, should spider wraps be made out of flannel as well?
    Some people make them out of flannel. I made mine out of an old sweatshirt, and it was the best one I've ever seen. The NE's liked it, too.

Honestly, I find it kind of disturbing that you're having to ask these questions on COTH. You need to go to a bandaging clinic (or, really, several of them) and have someone teach you hands on how to do all the specialty wraps. Is your region not having prep clinics? If not, I would push for some. From the National Office if you have to.

Bandaging, longeing, and teaching are the three major fail areas and are all things that you really can't learn without hands on guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by MaresNest View Post

Honestly, I find it kind of disturbing that you're having to ask these questions on COTH. You need to go to a bandaging clinic (or, really, several of them) and have someone teach you hands on how to do all the specialty wraps. Is your region not having prep clinics? If not, I would push for some. From the National Office if you have to.
    Don't be too disturbed ...I am pretty good at wrapping and got exceeds standards at my C-3 for my standing wraps. I am getting so much conflicting input about the wraps from graduate A PCers and NE's that I figured I would gather as much information as humanly possibly and then make a decision from there. I am going to my regions prep clinic this week, but I figure the more knowledge I am armed with the better and I was simply trying to see what people's experiences are with the wrapping at this rating. Pony Club can be just a little bit vague sometimes and it seems like we end up wrapping to cater to the NE, rather than what the standards actually say.

Thanks to everyone for the info, it's very helpful!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.