The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit set on a driving pony

I ended up with a little gray/white pony about 2 years ago. He was a bit of a problem at his first home and he was given to us if we could make a responsible citizen out of him. Hector became a dream pony for one of my boys. He is a really sweet horse with a huge heart. We found a mate to him and have since been working them as a pair. Gradually Hector has been showing signs of frustration in harness. He has been gagging at the bit and chomping on the bit. We tried different bits and various other changes. Out of frustration I separated the team and have been driving him single to see if i could isolate the problem. It appears that the bit is hitting the teeth before it is touching the corners of the mouth. The vet is suggesting that the equine dentist grind a bit set to make him more comfortable. I had never heard of a bit set let alone thought of having it done. How comon is this? Have any of you ever needed it done? Will it be an ongoing maintance thing or a one time pop?

The more I learn the more I learn I don't know. LF

Have you tried wrapping the bit with Latex ? - I would suggest that - it comes in rolls and just a single or double wrap will provide cushion. I wrap all colt bits with latex when first starting them - then they have something to cushion and chew on / or rather take hold of that is not so hard. Latex can be found at Fennell's Red Mile Track - or most tack stoires. If it does not work it is easily cut off with scissors. Practice on another bit - to get the idea of how many wraps you need- you can always add another layer - it is a very forgiving material. Good-Luck - This will be easily fixed don't worry.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I don't think it is that uncommon. I believe one of mine had it done, don't remember circumstances. Very non-memorable. Let me give it some thought, been awhile. You def. want a knowledgable dentist to do the teeth. Ponies typically have pony heads and horse teeth so sometimes they need abit more work then the average horse.

With our ponies we seemed to have a problem with getting real pony bits. It seems the mfg. like to make bits one size dia and don't put much in account that a pony can't hold such a thick bit in their mouthes. I did find bits with smaller dia. (at a yard sale, made in England) and they are alot happier.
    The View from Here

What bit are you using?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I have him in a loose ring mullen mouth bit about 1/4" diameter. I have tried a mullen mouth liverpool, and a pony snaffle. He likes this one better than the others. I have considered a cavison to keep his mouth closed. Thanks for the help. LF

The equine dentist that used to care for my horses' dental needs always asked if the horse was being ridden/driven and if so, gave them a bit seat to make carrying the bit more comfortable for them.

Good luck with your pony!
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Same here--my vet, when floating teeth on my 'main' driving mini several times ago, asked whether I drove him; when I said I did, he crafted a bit seat, and the horse has seemed totally comfortable ever since...for this horse, at least, it has so far been a 'one-time' thing.

Best wishes,

Margo in NM

sounds like his bridle is to big so there fore bit hangs low in his mouth
    check the length of his cheek pieces they might need altering so the bit hangs at the correct lenght so doesnt bang his teeth
    my old teddy actually drove/rode in a a volcanite kimblewick bit
    its a medium bit just a tad stronger than a snaffle but not as strong as a pelham
    can get them in 4 1/2inches which sometime ponies heads are dinky same as the mouth
    hence why i say check the check pieices you might need to have them shortened
    Last edited by goeslikestink; Jul. 2, 2009 at 06:38 PM.

The bit can be adjusted to either extreme. The problem is the way his mouth is formed. The teeth are too low so there is no room for the bit. We see the dentist in the morning. LF

Quote Originally Posted by LostFarmer View Post
    The bit can be adjusted to either extreme. The problem is the way his mouth is formed. The teeth are too low so there is no room for the bit. We see the dentist in the morning. LF
    i meant his cheek peices if they are to long then the bit will hang low in his mouth