The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thats so tacky...

I saw some seriously bad, ugly, turnout today.

Someone went in a classic with white breeches, a colored polo, and a hunt coat over the polo.

Seriously? Icky.

Don't the shingle trainers care what their clients look like? You know, even if you can't RIDE the part you could at least pretend to look the part. Dress for the job you want, right?

*off soapbox*
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

And you didn't take a picture?

Well, I saw the picture.
    Because the rider in question is a junior, and I'm feeling a little low in the good-karma department, I won't post the link
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

And we should care about this because? There could be a million reasons why said person was dressed like that. Really, who cares what someone else is wearing?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I can understand the dismay about the other person's attire, in a classic no less. Rules for classics specifically state that riders must wear formal attire, which clearly does not include wearing a brightly colored polo shirt under a show coat.
    I didn't interpret the original post as a stab at the rider, more as a "what is the world coming to?" general statement (and frankly, I agree with her).

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateer View Post
    I saw some seriously bad, ugly, turnout today.

Someone went in a classic with white breeches, a colored polo, and a hunt coat over the polo.

Seriously? Icky.

Don't the shingle trainers care what their clients look like? You know, even if you can't RIDE the part you could at least pretend to look the part. Dress for the job you want, right?

*off soapbox*

Hate to say it, but I've seen worse.

Well, I saw the picture.
    Oh. Okay. Cause I was going to say, you're in Alaska, right? I mean, well ... whatever. Maybe not.

Are you sure it was a polo? I saw a pic recently of someone riding in something biggish with the unbuttoned show shirt, folded over the jacket collar thing, and I thought, geez, how much more trouble is it to put on your choker??
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

who really gives a flying polo shirt? maybe the kid was coming from another ring. would it be better to hold the entire show while the rider went back to change?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Sorry, I agree with Pirateer (and the others who think that for a classic, you really could take a moment to put on a shirt, for crying out loud.)

Really - it doesn't take more than a minute or two to put on a ratcatcher. And if you are *really* that pressed for time... you COULD <gasp> dress in that attire for the whole day if holding up the classic ring was really such an issue.

Because let's face it... the rider presumably wore those white pants all day, right? Even though they're only really appropriate for the classic.

It's a little like wearing pajamas to the office and throwing a blazer over the top.

Ick.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    who really gives a flying polo shirt? maybe the kid was coming from another ring. would it be better to hold the entire show while the rider went back to change?
    Generally, I'm in the riding over turnout camp, but... I think entering a classic includes respecting the traditional conventions (and I don't think that lots of slackers => new convention).

But on this comment in particular: Where could the rider possibly have been coming from that a bright polo would have been OK, but proper attire for the classic NOT OK?

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    maybe the kid was coming from another ring. would it be better to hold the entire show while the rider went back to change?
    A girl from my barn does the hopeful jumpers and her age eq. division. To prevent holding rings, she wears the polo under her show shirt and coat, and takes the jacket and shirt off and on while she walks between rings. If a rider is willing to do something like that for lower level stuff, it seems like someone doing a classic should be really happy to run behind a bush and change her shirt...

Well, I saw the picture.
    Because the rider in question is a junior, and I'm feeling a little low in the good-karma department, I won't post the link
    Giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps as a junior this was her first show of the season and realized her show shirts no longer fit (maybe a chest developed) and made due with what she had. Second, perhaps her show shirt got slopped/spilled on by her, her horse, or other person or ripped (caught on something)
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I'd put money on it that it was an emergency issue like horsetales suggested. I'm suprised at the snark level - we've had similar threads about people showing in half-chaps that have had half the snark. I'm in the camp that thinks the half-chaps are worse

one more reason hi highly disliked showing on the circuit

** bashes head against wall**

If pople on the hunter/jumper circuit dont have something to whine and complain about they just can't be happy. if someone isnt dressed exactly to the standards that the h/j fashion police, the world is comming to an end

I have really wide shoulders and muscular arms for a girl but im smaller. show coats were always a chellenge for me. when i purchased my newest show coat i asked the ladies at the tack store to help me out. standing with the show coat, it looks lovely. its a bit on the larger side, but i can move in it without having it bunch up on my shoulders and around my neck. sitting on a horse you can tell it's baggy and a size or two too big...BUT....i can jump in and move my arms and shoulders without feeling like im in a straight jacket.

needless to say- people had nothing better to do than point out that my jacket wasnt taylored to fitme correctly. sometimes people just need to get over themselves....really.

I dont wear gloves in the showring. my hands sweat like the blazes when i do and it makes it ten times harder for me to grip my reins. i just dont feel comfortable wearing gloves. used to send my trainer over the deep-end...but i could hold my reins well and i rode better when i was comfortable and we got the job done and won frequently...and i had FUN...thats all that ever mattered

farmgirl, it's not the fashion police's standards. It's not properly tailored coats. It's the basic, what-you're-supposed-to-wear-when-you-show standards. Honestly, I have no idea how to even follow your post.

Durint eh later hourse at a show in a torrential downpour (not a lot of people left) I threw a kid in half chaps, a t-shirt and borrowed jacket to fill a class. Did she look good? Not really but it did the job, which was to prevent the under 11 and over 11's from being combined in a ss/ls division. No one wanted to see adult reriders (most of the LS riders) compete against beginner 9 yr olds (most of the ss riders).

I dont recall people snarking at me behind my back but rather, thanking me for the use of my pony (who had already put in a full day) and the kid (who was playing groom) for the favor.

I am all for proper turnout...and I am a stickler, but here are situations where it is forgiveable.

BTW, was it a jumper classic or a hunter classic? Better question: how did the kid ride?
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Caylei, there's a difference between not wearing a coat in a CLASSIC where formal attire is REQUIRED and wearing a coat that doesn't fit. It's not a "fashion police" statement, it's a matter of courtesy and respect for the horse show and judge.

... pretty sure they make those strange bib-front things that LOOK like shirts with ratcatcher collars. Don't even have to take off the polo shirt... tie on one of those bib things, put on your jacket, viola. At least you look like you'd tried.

Bizarre. I agree with the "what is the world coming to?" feeling.

Yeah, when I read this I was thinking emergency situation also. You wouldn't gawk at the girl who has duct tape on her boots b/c her zippers decided to break the day of the show.... The point is, you don't know the situation, and it didn't affect you in the least...so why worry about it?
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowmoose View Post
    ... pretty sure they make those strange bib-front things that LOOK like shirts with ratcatcher collars. Don't even have to take off the polo shirt... tie on one of those bib things, put on your jacket, viola. At least you look like you'd tried.

Bizarre. I agree with the "what is the world coming to?" feeling.
    That is what I do.....I hate the heat and no one knows what I have on under the jacket with the bib/collar on.