The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Growth spurts = $$$!

I'm putting my horse away the other night, and DD has just begun her lesson. I walk by the door to the arena and my trainer called me in. It seems that DD has had a growth spurt and suddenly outgrown her saddle - purchased for her last July! Sigh. Guess we're looking for a nice used 15" saddle now. At least her 14" should be easy to resell.

I'm off to cruise the used saddle sites. I'd love to find her a nice used Pessoa (older model) or Beval. I know the Ovation Junior Jump is supposed to be good, too. Suggestions? It has to be CC w/ knee rolls.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    I'm putting my horse away the other night, and DD has just begun her lesson. I walk by the door to the arena and my trainer called me in. It seems that DD has had a growth spurt and suddenly outgrown her saddle - purchased for her last July! Sigh. Guess we're looking for a nice used 15" saddle now. At least her 14" should be easy to resell.

I'm off to cruise the used saddle sites. I'd love to find her a nice used Pessoa (older model) or Beval. I know the Ovation Junior Jump is supposed to be good, too. Suggestions? It has to be CC w/ knee rolls.
    NO suggestions , just sympathy! My dd did the same thing this year, thankfully my custom made saddle from when I was a kid fits her PERFECTLY!! she will be able to ride in it for at LEAST 2-3 years! saved me a ton of money! and her little sister now has her last two saddles to grow into!
    Tall boots are a whole other story!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Got a local show coming up soon? As the BM at the show barn if you can put up a "saddle wanted" poster (and then at the next show a "saddle for sale" poster!).
    Incredible Invisible

u mentioned an older pessoa...i would like to say that i have and oler Nelson Pessoa A/O adn i love it!! it has beeen passed down at our barn for a while and it is by far the best saddle i tried (and i tried a lot!) my pessoa has fit a wide varriety of horses including my very skinny and narrrow high withered warmblood (yes hes a weird looking warmblood) i highly recommend shopping around to see if u can find one!!
    i also like the idea of asking around ur local shows!! then u might have the option of trying it out on the show grounds and maybe riding a class or two in it!
    and also good luck! im just waiting until i outgrow mine wich is going to be very heartbreaking for me and my parents when they here ill need a new one! =]

Default Growth Spurt = $$$

Antares has a very nice program. It will hurt your pocket for the first saddle, but then as she continues to grow you are able to trade in your used Antares. They give you a pretty decent trade in price that can go to the next saddle.

Don't have kids of my own yet, but it seems like this summer my students are outgrowing their saddles at an unprecedented rate! The craziest: one girl got an Antares last fall, has totally outgrown it, and found a nice replacement that someone in the barn is selling. Lo and behold, 2nd saddle fit her nicely a MONTH ago when she first tried it, but this week her knees are growing out over the flaps...ONE MONTH! She is going to have to make do with the original saddle until she finishes this growth spurt, I think.

OP, look on the bright side - at least she's not outgrowing her horse yet! I got my first horse (16.1h TB with delicate build) when I was a 5'5" 13yo, and by the time I was 14 I was 5'10" and suddenly HUGE on him. Next horse was a 17.3h warmblood I *love* the older pessoas...another nice alternative is the Circuit line from Dover - surprisingly nice saddles for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    OP, look on the bright side - at least she's not outgrowing her horse yet! I got my first horse (16.1h TB with delicate build) when I was a 5'5" 13yo, and by the time I was 14 I was 5'10" and suddenly HUGE on him. Next horse was a 17.3h warmblood I *love* the older pessoas...another nice alternative is the Circuit line from Dover - surprisingly nice saddles for the price.
    True, true! She has a saintly large (she's 7) that all of a sudden, her legs fit on. I already have her next horse, too. The *plan* is that I'll get a new horse this winter, we'll lease my mare for a year or two (I've got at least 3 families who want her!) and then Mare will be DD's when she's ready. I'm the one who needs the 17.3 WB! They make my tush look smaller.

We thought we had lined up her next saddle. One of the wonderful kids in our barn has a lovely older Pessoa, 15.75" that we all figured she'd outgrow soon. Nope! Fits her and her boy perfectly. Darnit!

If you stop by the Tack Trunk when you are in St. Louis, they usually have a good selection of used saddles and do a great job fitting too.
    "I have been Foolish and Deluded," said he, "and I am a Bear of No Brain at All." - Winnie the Pooh

I feel your pain.....

My daughter outgrew her large pony, her saddle,her tall boots, all her jackets and breeches all at the same time....

LOL! MY DD grew 8 inches in one seasonat age 11..ouch!! 2 pairs of tall boots, a new horse, and a new saddle, jacket, breeches...She' 15 now and still growing, now 5'9, once again, new horse, new saddle!!! It's just not fair I'm only 5'3 and could have ridden ponies for life!!!

Been there, done that - twice!
    It IS painful to have a growing child (or two) who rides. We're lucky because there's a nice consignment store in the Atlanta area (a few hours away but worth it). I get frustrated selling on eBay, so most of our stuff goes to the store and usually we find things to buy there too.
    Y'all ain't right!

Luckily for us, I guess, we are horseless so no need for a saddle, but DD is in some strange phase of growth - she has girls size 16 L jeans that fit great, and juniors size 7 shorts that also fit great. Right now we are shopping for breeches for her, and what I have been told is that the girls size 18 Longs are 30% cheaper than the adults 28 waist Longs, even though the stupid things are the same size. Go figure.
    Good luck finding a new saddle!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Yep... they grow - went through three sizes of show coats one summer ... kept asking if she couldn't just show with the sleeves up about her elbows... lol

OTOH there is another part of me that is wondering whether we really NEED the custome saddles and TS breeches and GPA helmets on kids who we know are going to grow out of them in less than a season....

and none of this IME makes them ride or win any better. Some part of me keeps saying that maybe some old fashioned New England frugality might be a better choice and a better message for our kids (BTW DD did not have a Grand Prix jacket until she was done growing)

OTOH there is another part of me that is wondering whether we really NEED the custome saddles and TS breeches and GPA helmets on kids who we know are going to grow out of them in less than a season....
    They do not.

The good news is if the parent chooses to opt for these things, they're available for purchase used for around the same price as buying new cheaper brands. I've still not ever spent more than $50 on a pair of TS breeches.

And my mother would've CERTAINLY laughed her butt off if anyone suggested a custom saddle for a growing child. We all had used crosby prix de nations, collegiates, pessoas, or bevals until our bums stopped growing (er. hopefully.)

The helmet? Maybe don't skimp there and buy what fits best.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    They do not.

The good news is if the parent chooses to opt for these things, they're available for purchase used for around the same price as buying new cheaper brands. I've still not ever spent more than $50 on a pair of TS breeches.

And my mother would've CERTAINLY laughed her butt off if anyone suggested a custom saddle for a growing child. We all had used crosby prix de nations, collegiates, pessoas, or bevals until our bums stopped growing (er. hopefully.)

The helmet? Maybe don't skimp there and buy what fits best.
    I refuse to spend the big $$ on something for my 7 year old! She has cheaper jods, a used coat and the most I've spent on shirts is $5. She isn't showing at the AAs, Pony Finals or Indoors. She's doing 18" on a local circuit on a leased pony. I do buy her Ariat boots and the helmet that fits her best (which happened to be a Troxel for everyday, but looking at the JR8), but that is as fancy as we get!

Personally, I think it is insane to spend huge amounts of money on someone who will outgrow the stuff in a matter of months.