The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Anyone else have a perfect horse?

I'm sorry but I just realized today that my horse is truly perfect! Here's why & I know there must be others out there!

1) He's won numerous year end awards, done Devon and still jumps 3' at age 21 with ease
    2) He trail rides on a buckle alone or with a group
    3) He's a total gentleman in every sense - gets along with everyone in his field & has complete barn manners
    4) Clips, bathes, stands for the dentist, farrier, vet - without a flinch
    5) Self loads on a trailer - no, I mean it - he really does! If he could do the ties he would
    6) He's an easy keeper - maintains his weight with very little grain & good pasture - even in winter
    7) He's neat - his stall is easy to clean!
    8) He's gorgeous! He's a TB/QHX and has the best of both plus really expressive eyes
    9) He just has a really sweet personally and is just a love

I guess I always knew these things about him, but when you put them all down on paper, it amazing! So, how about yours?
    "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

Talking Younger brother?

Hey! I didn't know my horse had an older brother!!! LOL!

Seriously, you could be describing my wonderful Woody. It is a privilege to have this incredible horse in my life. I am thankful for him every day.
    "Socrates was a very wise man who went around giving good advice. They poisoned him." Anonymous...

Oh my mare is perfect and she knows it!! She was my A/O jumper, jumping while injured (I didn't know she was hurt... I know. I know. I've beat myself up for it already), she's given me everything she had and still pinned in the top 3 in every A/O class she went in. She gave me a beautiful spitfire of a baby and we've been together for 8 years. she's now my eq medal horse and it's hilarious because she's so used to the A/Os and the jumpers, we've had to remind her that she has to chill Now she's absolutely wonderful, the quintessential eq horse: easy to ride, sensitive to subtle signals and HUNTS her jumps like a JRT hunts foxes! Anything that goes wrong on course I know is my fault because she just does what you ask, nothing less and she tries to help as much as she can.
    She does have an attitude and a stubborn streak (what can I say, I've owned her since she was 4... we resemble each other!) but for the most part is a completely willing partner.

My gelding is good, but he's not perfect. Which is why I will always take a good mare over a gelding/stallion any day!!!
    Last edited by Parker_Rider; Jun. 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: can't do math

my horse is perfect becuase shes there for me when i just want to sit in the corner of her stall and cry .....oh and the fact that she will pack me around a course doesnt hurt either haha

My horse is far from perfect as far as those standards go but he's perfect for me! Super super super sweet, though spooky, and really strong, and doesn't trailer/clip/bathe/load well lol. But I know a few of those "perfect" horses, and whileit would be nice to have one, if that's all you ever have, you won't ever learn, so I'm thankful to have a horse that can teach me so much. If I could have two horses, though, i would buy a "perfect" horse as my second one!

anyone else feel like their horse is perfect because their horse is definitely not perfect? i love my pony <3 even though he likes to throw small children into walls and he threw a full grown kid into the woods and ran all the way home on a trail ride once.

oh, but he's 14 hands and clears 3'6" like it's nothing, and i'd swear he's got rockets built into his hind feet. and he is such a serious ham and amaaaaazingly cute and fun and silly. he's got character, i'd say. oh, and we do quite well at shows, i guess that helps too.

my big perfect stinker of a pony:
    http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...63945_3229.jpg
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Your old guy sounds a lot like my old guy. He's 20, went to his first horse show in two or three years and rocked it today in the schooling jumper 2'9". (We went for fun, and boy did he) Spent his time lazing around the warmup arena but when the buzzer sounded...off we went! He jumps like a freak, always has, always will, but he's super careful, can turn like a reiner and is hella fast on course, but he has brakes too. And then you finish, drop the reins and his ears flop, pokes his nose out and he lazes some more, lol.

he also loads like a dream, nickers every time he hears my voice and still has enough spark to be fun. We trail ride, play on cross country courses, I've even worked cows with him. He's a TB ex-racer. My friend asked me the other day if I could choose any horse in the world, who would I pick? Him, every time, in a heartbeat, no question. He's not perfect, but he's perfect for me.
    You know, if you took this jello, put it in a mold and froze it, you could be like look....an emerald. Dude, I'd kick some guys ass he ever tried to give me a jello ring.

My horse can be quite opinionated at times. Mostly because if he gets a walk break, he thinks that means he's done! He's also kind of stubborn. But as long as I learn to stay out of his way he'll jump anything (do you know how hard it is to just sit and be patient?! ) He's not very affectionate but he puts up with me smothering him in kisses, which means the world to me. We've had our ups and downs (like today I made him work too hard without giving him a break and I feel terrible about it ) But he's pretty forgiving and has taught me so much!

My other guy, the OTTB, is bombproof. We've had him 8 years and he's spooked once and it wasn't even a "real" spook. He's pretty much retired other than when my mom takes him down trails. He's neurotic and hates loud noises if he's in his stall (put him in the arena where the noise is even louder and he's fine ) But I learned a bunch from him too and he was my first horse so he'll always have a special place in my heart (the other guy has a special too of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
    I'm sorry but I just realized today that my horse is truly perfect! Here's why & I know there must be others out there!

1) He's won numerous year end awards, done Devon and still jumps 3' at age 21 with ease
    3) He's a total gentleman in every sense - gets along with everyone in his field & has complete barn manners
    5) Self loads on a trailer - no, I mean it - he really does! If he could do the ties he would
    6) He's an easy keeper - maintains his weight with very little grain & good pasture - even in winter
    8) He's gorgeous! He's a TB/QHX and has the best of both plus really expressive eyes

I guess I always knew these things about him, but when you put them all down on paper, it amazing! So, how about yours?
    Lucky YOu!! make sure you feed him lots of treats and give tons of hugs these are rare and hard to come by ENJOY!!
    I have had the pleasure of owning two mares who in my opinion were perfect for me, and I miss them both every day!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

I'll join the club! Mine always brings home a tricolor and is like a puppy dog on the ground. A little opinionated under saddle, but it makes her a very careful jumper.

Mine is just wonderful and he has a sense of humor. I would take him again in a heartbeat.

Default Perfect

My tb/old cross is just three and everytime I ride him I can not believe his temperment. He is remarkably beautiful, gentle, huge, balanced....and so smooth.....I WILL be able to sit HIS trot, unlike his Consul sister!!! He shows great power and scope free schooling. I love reading other's experiences with this phenomenon.....a horse so wonderful that he serves as an example of what I aspire to be!!!
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

My boy is perfect and it sure is nice to finally have one after decades of struggles!!! I've had him for just over a year and we had to overcome some prior (minor) training and personality issues, but he's blossomed into the ideal horse.

He is kind, talented, does what I ask at the level I ask, clips, loads, bathes, does all his shoeing and vetting without a holder and is just the sweetest thing.

We won our first class together yesterday! We've come close several times with seconds/reserves, but we finally nabbed a blue. The photographer's pictures showed him grinning as much as I was...

Yup. Whenever we go schooling/showing/trail riding, etc. and everyone is crying because they had a bad ride/fell off/horse being a brat, I'm the one sitting there on my horse crying because **hiccup** MY **sniffle** Horse **sob** Is Soooo **sigh** PERFECT :-)

Yep, in fact, I have a whole thread bragging about how perfect he is farther down.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Sure, my horse is perfect at times...perfectly ornery, that is. Good thing I love her anyway!

Default Let me clarify..

he is perfect for ME!! His previous owner he HATED and came to me with a reputation for being a dirty stopper, mean, obnoxious PITA. While some of the "tude" has never gone away (which is one of his perfect qualities) he has taught me so much, and I have loved every minute of being with him.

He takes care of me - sees spots when I don't (or still listens when I don't but make him wait anyway ) and gets changes when I forget. He lets me cry when I need to and listens to me without telling me to get over it - even though I should!
    "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

my horse is the best!!!

-he saves my behind in every crappy fence i take (thats wi ivenever broken a bone)
    -he has the best stable manners, he gets along with every horse and rider
    -when you do fall off, he just stands next to yuo and nudges you like, "why aer you on the ground and not on me??"
    -has shown up to 3'9- with me? lord no, 2'6-3'0
    -he goes with the flow
    -has been to shows and won every class- at AA shows!!
    -has won numerous year end awards, and has gotten champ r reserve at every show that i take him to!
    -hes a sweetie- he would never hurt u (a fly? maybe
    -hes perfect- just the one for me!

im glad tha we are taking the time to appreciate our greta horses

my mare does all of that and more shes 18 and has won every class i have put her in
    she competes in mixed events

Your guy sounds so much like mine!! Mine is only 16 but still jumps 4'3 but can turn around and pack a beginner around a 2'3 course (did it last weekend at a show and won both classes )

Also substitute TB/QH for Selle Francais and you've described my horse!!

He is definitely my once in a lifetime guy. I've had him for 9 years now and the lord willing, he'll die with me.
    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate
    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding